Reqiured Modded Maps

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
snoopy55

Reqiured Modded Maps

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:57 pm

I know that some of you may not like the idea of GLOBALS, but if you're storing the maps somewhere else on your computer, I have a solution for that also. To GLOBAL users. At this time there are 13 maps that have mods in them, 12 if you choose not to include the B&R Demo (which is OK). All you need to do is check to see that you have all 13 installed, and if you don't, download and install the ones you don't,. The order may not be important in some cases, but the list is in the order of final posting(not Atani's), and it seemed to work for me.

Code: Select all

Map                                          Date Of             Install
                                                Post                  Order

DogWorld                                  1/30                  1
Super Bowl Express                    2/1                   2
Chicago to the Rockies               3/3                    3
Santa (from forum, not Firaxis)    3/4                   4
Basin and Range Demo               3/14                 5
Side to Side                               3/24                 6
Side to Side DSC                        3/25                 7
Mid East	                                   4/13                 8
America	                                   4/17                 9
Middle East                                 4/30                 10
Utah                                           5/6                   11
Basin and Range                          5/13                12
         2 installers and patch required
Amerigonia                                  9/10                13
If anyone wants it, I can do up a list of Goods, Industries, TrainCars and FPK files.
One thing to remember is to install all the Engines also. You may want to do those first.
If you don't want any of these maps on your computer, install them and then delete the map folder as the Mods may be needed on another map. This should help take care of the cursid 'Red Blobs'

I'll try to update this post as more maps become available.

To those of you not using GLOBALS: Load these files and move the GLOBALS elsewhere on you computer. Go thru them and delete and Original materials. Now you can use the Mods that are left and edit any maps that require them. If you're not at ease with editing XMLs, ask and I or someone else will try to help you.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Warll

Post by Warll » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:38 pm

Oh course everything will get a whole lot easier when SMRI is released.

naugagamer

Maps needing modding

Post by naugagamer » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:43 pm

Snoopy,

One of the other confusing items is CUSTOM MAPS v USER MAPS. Some maps say they should be up in User Maps but the installer puts it in Custom Maps.

I really enjoy playing SMR, but my brain has problems decipher where everything goes. (The stroke 2+ years ago has something to doing with that.)

For now, I think I will play maps that do NOT need special goods, engines, etc. Hopefully it will keep down my frustration and CTDs.
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
DFI Infinity MoBo
3 GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon X1600 with 512MB RAM
HHDs - 120, 160, 250 GB
WriteMaster DVD R/RW

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:01 pm

There is only one Middle East scenario in the Wiki and it dowloads the Mid East map.
The "Middle East" - Middle East scenario is in the forums and can be dowloaded from there.
It is confusing. It would be nice to have both of them in the Wiki.
Mid East 4/13 8
Middle East 4/30 10
Jancsika :D

zzbusch

Post by zzbusch » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:12 pm

It would be nice to have these in one download. I guess that is what you guys are doing?
It would be nice to have a SMR (our version).
Remember railroads is sdaorliar spelled backward

Warll

Post by Warll » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:18 pm

Yup its coming, expect it before the 18th.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm

naugagamer - I know what you mean, I'm just the oppisite, i prefer my maps in SCENARIO and the ones I'm working on in UserMaps. Once you load a map, all you have to do is open a window to SCENARIOS and then one to UserMaps, then hilite, drag and tell it to 'Move File'. The rest of the loaded files and data stays where it is if you're using the Installers, CustomAssets and XML. If you have trouble placing the maps when they first come out, wait for the Installers. That usually gives time for the maps to be 'User Tested' and edited.

Jancsika, I'll see if i can get that.

:twisted:

Done!

K-class

Post by K-class » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:42 am

Hey snoopy55

this is from the issues with fourbears map (has to many other map dependencies)

Complete reinstall of SMR
Followed install as above all ok till we got to Basin and Range

Basin and Range Demo CTD's on startup installed 1.0 other 2 files and patch for this still CTD's ****

Amergonia and even ChicagoToTheRockies CTD's on startup

Go back to my backup folder Amergonia works but ChicagoToTheRockies still CTD's so thats conflicting with one of the newer maps that I have installed.

Installing in the order above does not work for me.

The installers seem to corrupt the global files or it seems there are still bits and pieces missing that the installers are not picking up. Prob has to do with the order of the maps being created. Fresh install prob needs to follow the same time line.

I personally don't like the option for a map where you say you have to have 15 base maps as with this game any change to the globals affects those maps.

You end up having to troubleshoot all 15 maps / globals everytime a new map comes out.

Everytime you install another map it corrupts your install and globals and I doubt if all 15 maps actually still do work as as one small change affects all.

The issue I have is we need one base install say the 15 maps and globals that work.

The foundation needs to be done first. (complete working CustomAssets folder)

As per your last post this is a huge download so I dont know how Warll is going to package the fan expansion pack up as you say its huge might have to be split into several rar files.

Hopefully the fan expansion pack will give us a base mod that gives us a standard install

I have backups and can still play the maps I want.

The fan expansion pack is what we need. :D
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:04 pm

K-class made me wondering about the 13 games in the essential list, so I took a look at them if they are still playable.
I just loaded them, and they all worked for me, sort of.
Amerigonia, BasinAndRange, MID EAST, SideToSide DSC went CTD at the first try, but at the second try they all loaded properly.
All you need is patience. This game is quirky and we just have to live with it.
By the way my CustomAssets file is about 490 MB with 20 games in it.
Jancsika

K-class

Post by K-class » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:07 am

Thanks Jancsika - Some of my maps did CTD on startup due to some errors in my globals or some of the maps. I had 70 maps and 1.06 GB (1,142,784,000 bytes) 865 files in 70 folders installed.

The point I was trying to make was if you a complete new person to this forum and had no custom maps and followed the first post install these 13 odd maps by the installers you could play all the custom maps.

Sorry but didn't work for me.

You still will need to get under the hood.

I verified this by a complete install and followed the order. Most of them CTD on startup and wouldnt run.

I went back and re read the below post and just to help me clear some of the confusion in my own head.

Trouble loading maps??? Read
http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1268

After reading the above post by choobacca I relooked at the maps the installer had installed.

After I cleaned them up like remove Tendercars from the custom maps, global files in the map folder, entries for goods in the map goods file and basically just followed choobacca first post all those maps now run and that includes FourBears except for one small issue.

When Warll does the fan expansion pack this will give a base to work from.

I could think of other words.
his game is quirky and we just have to live with it.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

mikeyc

Post by mikeyc » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:37 am

K-class! For a Kiwi you make a lot of sense.( Joke Joyce).
'getting under the hood' is really a problem for us people who arn't into computers, so I agree that this drama has to be sorted otherwise this site would lose creditability with new people. Game players just want to download and play, fullstop.
I read the post you refered to by choobacca and shook my head. If you dont know, dont touch.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:30 am

K-class - this has been my thing with new maps also. I tend to edit them, sometimes to the point of re-writing portions of them. Iron Ore was something that was created back in January of this year and a new version was still created in the America map. The Thirteen Required maps are a MUST for anyone doing Mods. And Fourbears and Meierville brings the number up to 15. We have several different Hotels and Banks, and I believe if a couple of the large Buildings used in the RRT_Cities.xml could be worked over, they could be changed to KFMs for them.

Right now I'm changing all the folders in CustomAssets into KFM files, and even looking into breaking them into thier indivigual componites, cars, industries and such. Later these can be put into packages foor each map for people with lower memory space since if the map doesn't need something, why put it into memory. I know this isn't what I had in mind when I pushed GLOBALS, but we had no idea of the number od Mods we would have and the amount of memory it would take. A 'Map Pack' would include only the needed FPKs, only the info needed in GLOBALS, and 1 map. A pack for maps that use no Mods could also be made up.
It's an idea.... :wink:

K-class

Post by K-class » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:35 am

snoopy55 thats sounds awesome and is along my way of thinking as well. :D
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)

ribamar

Post by ribamar » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:27 pm

snoopy55 wrote:K-class - this has been my thing with new maps also. I tend to edit them, sometimes to the point of re-writing portions of them. Iron Ore was something that was created back in January of this year and a new version was still created in the America map. The Thirteen Required maps are a MUST for anyone doing Mods. And Fourbears and Meierville brings the number up to 15. We have several different Hotels and Banks, and I believe if a couple of the large Buildings used in the RRT_Cities.xml could be worked over, they could be changed to KFMs for them.

Right now I'm changing all the folders in CustomAssets into KFM files, and even looking into breaking them into thier indivigual componites, cars, industries and such. Later these can be put into packages foor each map for people with lower memory space since if the map doesn't need something, why put it into memory. I know this isn't what I had in mind when I pushed GLOBALS, but we had no idea of the number od Mods we would have and the amount of memory it would take. A 'Map Pack' would include only the needed FPKs, only the info needed in GLOBALS, and 1 map. A pack for maps that use no Mods could also be made up.
It's an idea.... :wink:

Yeah map pack! I cant play any map i download, it crashes before showing the map in the game after loading... :(

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:46 pm

That's what this is all about. Once you get the required maps loaded, in the order listed, any other map 'should' load and run fine.

The first Map Pack (those listed above) should be available soon. a second will follow with the newer Modded Maps, and be updated as new Modded maps come along.