Modeltrainman's Real Year Mod for SMR

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Post Reply
User avatar
Modeltrainman
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:41 pm

Modeltrainman's Real Year Mod for SMR

Post by Modeltrainman » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:12 pm

I modified the XML's so most of the locomotives appear on their true dates. I also modified the speed of the locomotives to match their real life speeds. One question though, According to my research, the A4 Mallard set a speed record of 126mph. How do I use that speed in SMR, if the game adds a zero to the speed numbers? When I tried it the first time, the number it created was 1.260 mph. How do I set it to 126mph? :?:
Attachments
Real Year Mod.zip
(4.76 KiB) Downloaded 519 times

snoopy55
Posts: 1961
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:13 am
Location: Centralia, Ill, USA

Re: Modeltrainman's Real Year Mod for SMR

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:29 pm

With the speed number being multiplied by 10, will the game accept 12.6?
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

User avatar
Modeltrainman
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:41 pm

Re: Modeltrainman's Real Year Mod for SMR

Post by Modeltrainman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:09 am

120,close enough.
Attachments
Real Year Mod.zip
(4.9 KiB) Downloaded 445 times

User avatar
vzbob
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:13 am
Location: Sydney Australia
Contact:

Re: Modeltrainman's Real Year Mod for SMR

Post by vzbob » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:06 am

snoopy55 wrote:With the speed number being multiplied by 10, will the game accept 12.6?
With the speed number being multiplied by the max speed you can change the following to suit
Sets Max speed <MaxSpeed>13</MaxSpeed>
sets Speed <Speed0>14</Speed0>
14 x 13 =182 mph.
20 x 10 = 200 etc.

snoopy55
Posts: 1961
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:13 am
Location: Centralia, Ill, USA

Re: Modeltrainman's Real Year Mod for SMR

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:16 am

You might want to look at the TVG. With your formula:

<MaxSpeed>20</MaxSpeed>
<Speed0>20</Speed0>

or 20 x 20 = 400

There is something about the

<MaxSpeed>
<Speed0>
<Power>

figures that have some kind of meaning.

In the <szClass> of Goods we have Passenger, Mail, FastFreight, Freight and BulkFreight.

In the engines, <MaxSpeed> is the speed the engine goes with no or empty cars. The other two should have some effect on the type and number of cars. A study would need to be done using Hill Valley Rush as it is flat.

A second way might be to list the Engines, along with those three numbers and look over the graph that comes with each Engine and see what can be seen there There has to be some corrilation. Of course, like a few other variables, one or both may not mean a thing........

(and yes, I realize now that the Speed0 is not a multiplier...I had missed the TVG...... :oops: )
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

User avatar
vzbob
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:13 am
Location: Sydney Australia
Contact:

Re: Modeltrainman's Real Year Mod for SMR

Post by vzbob » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:44 am

snoopy55 wrote:You might want to look at the TVG. With your formula:

<MaxSpeed>20</MaxSpeed>
<Speed0>20</Speed0>

or 20 x 20 = 400

There is something about the

<MaxSpeed>
<Speed0>
<Power>

figures that have some kind of meaning.

In the <szClass> of Goods we have Passenger, Mail, FastFreight, Freight and BulkFreight.

In the engines, <MaxSpeed> is the speed the engine goes with no or empty cars. The other two should have some effect on the type and number of cars. A study would need to be done using Hill Valley Rush as it is flat.

A second way might be to list the Engines, along with those three numbers and look over the graph that comes with each Engine and see what can be seen there There has to be some corrilation. Of course, like a few other variables, one or both may not mean a thing........

(and yes, I realize now that the Speed0 is not a multiplier...I had missed the TVG...... :oops: )
<Power> relates to what the loco can carry.
a low number = Just passengers & mail.
medium number for goods
and a high number for all passenger & freight.
i have played with these figures and have had trains running at 400mph

User avatar
Star Ranger4
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: Modeltrainman's Real Year Mod for SMR

Post by Star Ranger4 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:33 am

vzbob wrote:
<Power> relates to what the loco can carry.
a low number = Just passengers & mail.
medium number for goods
and a high number for all passenger & freight.
i have played with these figures and have had trains running at 400mph
Actually, power is sort of a horsepower representation, which controls how many cars can be attached to the engine before its speed starts degrading, and by how much.

User avatar
dda40x
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:56 am

Re: Modeltrainman's Real Year Mod for SMR

Post by dda40x » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:42 pm

I've been adjusting some locomotive stats for my scenario, and came across this thread.

I just did a quick test (a Wells to Ely run, 8 food/fast freight), with two trains. I mixed in some flat with some moderate and extremely steep grades up and down between Wells and Ely. No curves below 200 MPH on this route, relatively straight run.

Speed for both engines was set at 7.5, ingame this means top speed of 74 MPH.
Engine 1 Speed0-14 Power 10 51 Seconds
Engine 2 Speed0-7 Power 20 69 Seconds

With Bulk Freight (Smelted Copper in this case) the results were:
Engine 1 Speed0-14 Power 10 70 Seconds
Engine 2 Speed0-7 Power 20 81 Seconds

The Speed0-14 Power 10 Loco's chart w/Bulk Freight falls off after 5 cars. Top speed w/8 Bulk Freight cars was around 60 MPH on my Wells-Ely runs.

The Speed0-7 Power 20 Loco's chart w/Bulk Freight falls off after 3 cars. Top Speed w/8 Bulk Freight cars was around 48 MPH on my Wells-Ely runs.

The main thing I wanted to point out is that you can set top speeds to fractional amounts, and are not limited to 60/70/80/etc.. It will show 70 MPH when you select the loco, but you will see up to 74 ingame with a 7.5.

Another experiment I did was to set the Speed0 to 2 for these locos, which dropped their top speed when empty below 40 MPH on relatively flat runs.

Further experimentation:
I just loaded two power curves:
70 MPH, 12/11, 70 MPH 10/14
The 12/11 has a slightly better curve power wise than the 10/14; both fall off after 5 cars, to 50 MPH-ish with 8 Bulk Freight.

I tried a 7.5/12/2 curve, and it fell off almost immediately, flattening out to 20 MPH pretty quickly.

So, it looks like Power allows for somewhat finer control than Speed0, for those of you trying to hit that 'perfect' power curve, but both factors need to be dialed in properly.

Hope this helps!

User avatar
wingsofphoenix
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:02 pm
Location: Jena, Germany

Re: Modeltrainman's Real Year Mod for SMR

Post by wingsofphoenix » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:59 pm

good to know that :mrgreen:
but speed0 is actually for acceleration and doesnt effect maxspeed, thats why passenger locos have high number and freight low ;)

Post Reply