Narra North East UK

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
karsten

Narra North East UK

Post by karsten » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:02 am

North East UK by Narra

NE UK Hard Universum version means: tough enough to interest Universum :lol:. NE UK has always been one of my favourites, and it can be seen as a sequel to my Liverpool & Manchester map. The download file is based on Snoopy's SAM version, and runs like clockwork. I have replaced the unloved outlandish "canyons" with normal British rivers (check out the "before and after" screenshots!)

Tips: It is almost impossible to succeed on this map as Robber Baron, but not totally impossible, if you manage your bottom line carefully. A small struggling enterprise like yours needs to avoid loss-making trains. If quite unavoidable, as in the case of Darlington-Stockton, then certainly only with minimum loss.

Manchester is a good starting position, and a real money gusher if managed properly. Your two initial towns should be close to Metropolis level by the start of the second era. Early patent auctions are a waste of scarce money. The AI will have much more money to spend on patents than you, if you have invested wisely, and you are going to buy them out soon anyway. One or two fake bids are OK, to make the patents more expensive to the AI, but you certainly don't want the winner's curse!

Once you have completed the Darlington-Stockton passenger numbers, which many people think is impossible at Robber Baron difficulty, but really only requires a bit of lateral thinking, you may want to relax. Don't. The era goal of £20 million suggests that money will soon be abundant, time is now scarce, running out as you frantically try to supply medicine for vaccine research in Edinburgh.

Happenstance, one of the AI may have built half the route to Edinburgh (or Liverpool, if you started in the North) for you already. Buy it, reach your net worth goal early and use the acquired rails to connect. Anytime an AI has sold all its shares is an excellent time to buy it cheap.

Complete the vaccine supplies and NOW, you can probably relax. Complete arms deliveries to Liverpool and cruise to victory a massive 34 or so years early on hard routing, against 3 AI, as successful Robber Baron! 8)

Comment: Download the compressed rar file below, unpack and copy into your USERMAPS folder. Remember, this should be the only map in your UserMaps folder, and the CustomAssets folder needs to be perfectly empty.
Attachments
NE_UK_hard.rar
(3.63 MiB) Downloaded 423 times
Routing.jpg
Old Manchester Canyon.jpg
UK Fix03.jpg
New Edinburgh.jpg
Last edited by karsten on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodea2007

Re: Narra North East UK

Post by Rodea2007 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:30 am

karsten wrote:North East UK
Story: This map by Narra is one of my favourites. NE UK "Hard" means: tough enough to interest Universum :lol:. I have always liked NE UK, because it can be seen as a sequel to my Liverpool & Manchester map. This file is based on Snoopy's SAM version, which runs like clockwork. I have modified the DEM map to replace the inappropriate "canyons" with normal UK rivers to a large extent. Check out the "before and after" screenshots.

Tips:
It is almost impossible to succeed on this map as Robber Baron. Almost impossible but not totally impossible, if you manage your bottom line carefully. Loss-making trains are simply out for a small struggling enterprise like yours. If unavoidable, as in the case of Darlington-Stockton, then certainly only with minimum loss.

Manchester is a good starting position, and a real money gusher if managed properly. Your two initial towns should be close to Metropolis level by the start of the second era. (Liverpool and Manchester in my example).

Participation in early patent auctions is out, since it would be a waste of scarce money. The AI will have much more money to spend on patents than you, if you have invested wisely, and you are going to buy them out soon anyway. One or two fake bids are OK, to make the patents more expensive to the AI, but you certainly don't want the winner's curse!

Once you have completed the Darlington-Stockton passenger numbers, which many people think is impossible as Robber Baron, but really only requires a bit of lateral thinking, you may want to relax. Don't. Although the era goal of £20 million suggests that money may soon no longer be an object, the crucial scarce resource is time. And that is running out more quickly than you might expect, as you frantically try to supply medicine for vaccine research in Edinburgh.

Happenstance, one of the AI may have built half the route to Edinburgh for you already. Buy it out, reach your net worth goal early and use the acquired rails to connect. Anytime an AI has sold all its shares is an excellent time to buy.

Complete the vaccine supplies and NOW, you can probably relax. Deliver arms to Liverpool and cruise to finish a massive 34 or so years early on hard routing, against 3 AI, as successful Robber Baron! 8)

Comment: Download the compressed rar file below, unpack and copy into your USERMAPS folder. Remember, this should be the only map in your UserMaps folder, and the CustomAssets folder needs to be perfectly empty.
Nice pictures karsten... :P
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

karsten

Re: Narra North East UK

Post by karsten » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Thanks Rodea! Getting the balance right between water level, rivers and mountain elevations is more an art than a science (as you know from your own work with maps). But in the end, comparing the before (with canyon) and after (no canyon) screenshots, I think the results are worth the invested time. :D
Attachments
Liverpool-Manchester before.jpg
Liverpool-Manchester after.jpg