Is it possible to have a map with all industries?

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
unrealalex

Is it possible to have a map with all industries?

Post by unrealalex » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:10 pm

Why is it that when I try to edit a map, it only gives me the standard industries like Coal, Lumber, Cattle, Oil, Wheat.
Why can't I place things like Ore, Breweries, Winery, Gold, Weapons? Even if I edit Southwest, which has wine in it, it doesn't give me the option of placing Wineries.

Is there a large map with all the industries or anyway I can edit an existing map to have all the industries?

I like to play single player a lot, but it gets boring quickly because there are only a few industries.

America Transcontinental is good but still doesn't have a lot of stuff like Wine or Breweries or fish.

Burlington_Northern_3140

Re: Is it possible to have a map with all industries?

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:36 pm

I would like to build a map like that. I think I will try that. I think a lot of huge industries and a town would be an interesting map to play against a computer player.
Thomas
THANK YOU FOR BRINGING US RULES FORUM MODERATORS!
Whoops! I need to stop that drooling over everyones mods. Where are the paper towels?

http://www.homescda.com/

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:46 pm

The InCity Industries don't get placed by the map editor, they must be placed by editing the Industries XML. I wrote up some tutorials on map making in 'Mods - Talk' called 'Map Making 101'. In it is a section on placing Industries in cities. Look it over, see what you can do, and then come back here if you have any more questions. One thing to do first is to print out or write down all of your City Tags along with the X/Y coordinates, you will need these.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

unrealalex

Post by unrealalex » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:32 pm

snoopy55 wrote:The InCity Industries don't get placed by the map editor, they must be placed by editing the Industries XML. I wrote up some tutorials on map making in 'Mods - Talk' called 'Map Making 101'. In it is a section on placing Industries in cities. Look it over, see what you can do, and then come back here if you have any more questions. One thing to do first is to print out or write down all of your City Tags along with the X/Y coordinates, you will need these.
What about the industries not in a city? Like Wineries, Fish docks?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:59 pm

As I said, the InCity Industries must be placed in the XML outside of the Editor. That section of the tutorial explains it somewhat.

Ask any specific question here and they'll get answered.

unrealalex

Post by unrealalex » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:23 am

snoopy55 wrote:As I said, the InCity Industries must be placed in the XML outside of the Editor. That section of the tutorial explains it somewhat.

Ask any specific question here and they'll get answered.
We were asking about the out of city industries.

I don't understand this, what affects how many Coal Mines, for instance, are in a map? Let's say I want to add more Coal mines to a map, and this is what the Industries XML looks like, how do I do it?

<Industries>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Sheep Farm</szName>
<fScale>0.5</fScale>
<Production>
<!-- Produces Milk and Wool-->
<Resource>
<Input>None</Input>
<Output>Milk</Output>
<InputOutputRatio>1.0</InputOutputRatio>
</Resource>
<Resource>
<Input>None</Input>
<Output>Wool</Output>
</Resource>
</Production>
</RRTIndustry>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Coal Mine</szName>
<fScale>0.8</fScale>
</RRTIndustry>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Lumber Mill</szName>
<fScale>0.8</fScale>
</RRTIndustry>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Grain Farm</szName>
<szModel>Grain_ElevatorEURO.kfm</szModel>
<szGrowKFM>Grain_ElevatorEURO_Buildup.kfm</szGrowKFM>
</RRTIndustry>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Fishery</szName>
<fScale>0.8</fScale>
</RRTIndustry>
<!-- -->
<!-- Fabriken -->
<!-- -->
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Steel Mill</szName>
<fScale>1.2</fScale>
</RRTIndustry>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Textile Mill</szName>
<fScale>1.5</fScale>
<iCost>625000</iCost>
</RRTIndustry>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Power Plant</szName>
<fScale>1.2</fScale>
<Production>
<!--Demands coal-->
<Resource>
<Input>Coal</Input>
<Output>None</Output>
<InputOutputRatio>0</InputOutputRatio>
</Resource>
</Production>
</RRTIndustry>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Furniture Plant</szName>
<fScale>1.2</fScale>
<iCost>625000</iCost>
<Production>
<!-- Demands Wood -->
<Resource>
<Input>Wood</Input>
<Output>Manufactured Goods</Output>
</Resource>
<!-- Demands Textiles -->
<Resource>
<Input>Textiles</Input>
<Output>Manufactured Goods</Output>
</Resource>
</Production>
</RRTIndustry>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Paper Mill</szName>
<fScale>1.2</fScale>
</RRTIndustry>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Brewery</szName>
<fScale>1.2</fScale>
</RRTIndustry>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Automobile Factory</szName>
<fScale>1.2</fScale>
<iCost>1000000</iCost>
</RRTIndustry>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Newspaper</szName>
<fScale>1.1</fScale>
<iCost>750000</iCost>
</RRTIndustry>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Food Plant</szName>
<fScale>1.2</fScale>
<iCost>750000</iCost>
<Production>
<!--Demands Wood or Wool-->
<Resource>
<Input>Grain</Input>
<Output>Food</Output>
</Resource>
<Resource>
<Input>Milk</Input>
<Output>Food</Output>
</Resource>
</Production>
</RRTIndustry>
<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Cannery</szName>
<fScale>1.2</fScale>
</RRTIndustry>
</Industries>
</RRTIndustries>

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:54 am

Sorry bout that, Wineries are InCity....

Let's get into this a bit deeper. Unless you redo the Editor files to include all the available Original Goods and Industries, you are left with only I think 5 or 6. The files can be edited to add the rest of the Original Goods and Industries.

As to placing them, look into Chicago to the Rockies. There you will notice that you can have as many of any industry, InCity or out, as you want. You just have to tell the game where you want them. InCity have the X and Y coordinates, the rotation, the start size and the cities TAG name. Out of city requires the same, just no city TAG name. Mind you, you can get away without some of that data, but the best thing to do is to learn it that way now and mess with the other ways later if you wish.

The thing to remember is that you cannot decide to place certain Industries and let the game do the rest. If you place only one, that is the only one you will see placed. If you place none, most of the time all the Industries will be placed. I say 'most' as maps have been played where you may not see an out-of-city Industry one time, but restart it and it may show, but another may not, or they all may show. The game will place 0 to 4 of each one, but it tends to keep them all in a circle of about 8 units diameter, the smallest map being 10 units across. I do believe that even larger maps only get a 8 unit diameter circle from the center.

Does that help?

unrealalex

Post by unrealalex » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:45 am

snoopy55 wrote:Sorry bout that, Wineries are InCity....

Let's get into this a bit deeper. Unless you redo the Editor files to include all the available Original Goods and Industries, you are left with only I think 5 or 6. The files can be edited to add the rest of the Original Goods and Industries.

As to placing them, look into Chicago to the Rockies. There you will notice that you can have as many of any industry, InCity or out, as you want. You just have to tell the game where you want them. InCity have the X and Y coordinates, the rotation, the start size and the cities TAG name. Out of city requires the same, just no city TAG name. Mind you, you can get away without some of that data, but the best thing to do is to learn it that way now and mess with the other ways later if you wish.

The thing to remember is that you cannot decide to place certain Industries and let the game do the rest. If you place only one, that is the only one you will see placed. If you place none, most of the time all the Industries will be placed. I say 'most' as maps have been played where you may not see an out-of-city Industry one time, but restart it and it may show, but another may not, or they all may show. The game will place 0 to 4 of each one, but it tends to keep them all in a circle of about 8 units diameter, the smallest map being 10 units across. I do believe that even larger maps only get a 8 unit diameter circle from the center.

Does that help?
Yes and thank you very much for such a long response this late :)
So there's no way to increase the number of industries without giving x, y coordinates to each industry?

Is it possible to randomize the x, y coordinates or something like that? Because if I give each out-of-city industry an x,y coordinate, that means the map will be exactly the same each time I play it right?
My goal is to have lots of industries but for them to be randomly placed. Is that possible is what I'm saying.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:11 pm

No, at this point it's place them all or 0 to 4 random..no in between. And I only say 'at this point' because you never know what someone may come up with. We've accomplished more than we thought possible almost 2 years ago.

Another thing with random generated x/y's are ending up in the water or in the middle of a city.