What Are Globals

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
vincep

What Are Globals

Post by vincep » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:58 pm

Could someone please tell me, what are globals? Thank you.

snoopy55

Re: What Are Globals

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:05 pm

There are two types of what have come to be called 'globals', 'Globals' and 'GLOBALS'.

The first was given that name as it contains all the full listings for things in the game. 'Full' meaning all the data is given. Then there are 'three-liners' which are the opening line, the name and the closing line. Between those two come any data you need to add for changes or placement.

The second, 'GLOBALS', was created in order to add new materials to the game without editing the original Globals. It sits in '\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets\XML'. It is a copy of the original Globals with the mods added. The folders and/or FPKs for it are in '\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets\XML'.

Now I know it's going to be said, so I'll say it here. GLOBALS is going the way of the steam engine. They'll still be around and people will mess with them, but they're being replaced by SAMs and CICs. That had nothing to do with your question, but it is important.

Any other questions?
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:47 pm

I agree with Snoopy. Globals seem like a good idea initially, and every six months, a bright newcomer will probably come along and say: "I have thought hard about the issue of user content and ... LETS DO GLOBALS!"

But experience has shown that SAM and CIC maps offer far better stability and more responsive SMR game play, especially in the long run.

Bunit

Post by Bunit » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:53 am

karsten wrote:I agree with Snoopy. Globals seem like a good idea initially, and every six months, a bright newcomer will probably come along and say: "I have thought hard about the issue of user content and ... LETS DO GLOBALS!"

But experience has shown that SAM and CIC maps offer far better stability and more responsive SMR game play, especially in the long run.
Where are these CIC maps I have been looking but cant find any. I want to find out what is good to use and whats not good.
I have been using the SAM maps now as they seem to run very nicely on my computer. When i 1st started I used those installer ones that change the main files seemed to crash or you needed other maps installed to play as well. There is so much to read in this and some of it is so confusing, 1 person says this is good then another says its bad and another says something else altogether.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:07 am

Where are these CIC maps I have been looking but cant find any.
When i 1st started I used those installer ones that change the main files seemed to crash or you needed other maps installed to play as well. There is so much to read in this and some of it is so confusing
The game mods started out with new maps adding their new train cars, industries, and goods on one master list for each. As new maps were added the list grew, and the game got a tad slower and more and more crashes started. Some of the troubles were due to naming conflicts in map content. Many of the older map threads have maps that were written for that "master global" list for each item type.
Self -contained map files offer a much better gaming experience running crash free. Some self-contained maps may have "global" xml files inside the maps files, but that is okay as long as it is on a per map basis and inside a self-contained map file.

Sam (stand alone map) and CIC (clean install compatible) maps are self-contained maps. Any map that uses the games default goods, and other content can also be played as a stand-alone map without any editing. All can be drop and play maps, however sam and cic maps should be swapped out before switching out for another map, those new maps made with default game goods and such can stay in the game with no effect. I am not sure about where the fpks are for sam maps as I have never downloaded one, but if there are any loose fpks from other maps, they need swapped out with the map file at the same time, just in case of content conflicts with other maps content as you switch.

There has been several of the older maps that have had self-contained files made for them. Running the old installers may load items to global lists inside your game, so look for the self-contained file for those maps.

Hope I explained the confusion, please anyone add to or correct anything I may have missed etc.
For the confusion reason I will be making new threads for my older global maps I upgraded to self-contained maps. I should have one of those cic maps up this week, look for mud skippers to be first.
:)

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Where are these CIC maps I have been looking but cant find any. I want to find out what is good to use and whats not good.
There were quite a few around, but alas, no more.
They were very innovative, but for the same reason very bloated (large?) and they exceeded the size limitation of this forum.
They were available on some commercial (Sometimes free and slow) download site.
I hope that in the future the creators will consider to make them so that it can posted on this site.(They can be split, don't they??).
Jancsika :mrgreen:

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:35 am

Jancsika wrote:
There were quite a few around, but alas, no more.
They were very innovative, but for the same reason very bloated (large?) and they exceeded the size limitation of this forum.
They were available on some commercial (Sometimes free and slow) download site.
I hope that in the future the creators will consider to make them so that it can posted on this site.(They can be split, don't they??).
Jancsika :mrgreen:
What are you talking about? :roll: I made CIC maps. What a silly responce. They are large files because of the new game content added. What commercial site are you talking about? My downloads are free, the files are housed at my art web site, that has fiber broadband. Host Dime has some of the fastest servers on the planet.

So you just stomped on my previous post, plus you have now given someone wrong information. I just got through explaining to Bunit what they are; you don't know anything about my files, except how to strip out everything the moment I upload them to the site. :P

Bunit the Mud Skipper mod is in beta test and should be released in a few days. One large file or many small ones you later have to deal with. They may be large files, but they are super easy to play and load. Maps made in Trainz can be near a gig, so these tiny maps are not that large. Maybe if you think like the old days when everything had to fit on a floppy, but today they are not considered that large at all. CIC maps do not have to have new goods or have large files either. They can be any map, even with default goods and such. I like to expand the game and add new stuff.

Clean Install Compatible is what CIC stands for, it is simply another way of making self-contained maps, only this way everything is in one file folder for the game map. No loose fpks, only one file folder for the game map that includes any new content be placed inside the single map folder.

All my maps are about to be reloaded here, many new maps being finished as well.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:41 am

vincep wrote:Could someone please tell me, what are globals? Thank you.
As Snoopy said:
Snoopy55 wrote: The first was given that name as it contains all the full listings for things in the game. 'Full' meaning all the data is given. Then there are 'three-liners' which are the opening line, the name and the closing line. Between those two come any data you need to add for changes or placement.

The second, 'GLOBALS', was created in order to add new materials to the game without editing the original Globals. It sits in '\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets\XML'. It is a copy of the original Globals with the mods added. The folders and/or FPKs for it are in '\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets\XML'.
Those Globals only needed by the Standard map style, in the sense that can be used by others Map that is placed in one folder with SMR, but if your Map as SAM or CIC style you not needs those Globals because SAM or CIC Map only allow 1 map in SMR Folder and can't laying with others map,
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Bunit

Post by Bunit » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Lowell wrote: There has been several of the older maps that have had self-contained files made for them. Running the old installers may load items to global lists inside your game, so look for the self-contained file for those maps.

Hope I explained the confusion, please anyone add to or correct anything I may have missed etc.
For the confusion reason I will be making new threads for my older global maps I upgraded to self-contained maps. I should have one of those cic maps up this week, look for mud skippers to be first.
:)
I am still confused About them Globals used in CIC maps.
A CIC sounds like a SAM but with extra global files, which by the way i have read things all over this forum they are not needed. Why have them if they are not needed?

As for the Installer types they just change things too much and some need others installed so i gave up using them and stuck to using the SAM's as they are the easiest one to use for me as i just delete the files in the UserMaps Folder and Unzip the next One which I like because I can save the game and when I want to reload it and continue playing the saved game again.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:57 pm

i have read things all over this forum they are not needed. Why have them if they are not needed?
They are wrong.

To add new industries and goods at the start of the game, all new items must be on a global xml list or the game will not load them and crash. The global files house the large list for the game to know what is what when it starts. You may notice that in Florida Gold there is no coal. Just try and play a default game map with the Florida Gold map file inside your user maps folder and see what happens...you crash. Why, because on the global industries and goods files inside Florida Gold...there is no coal industry or good. Hence game crashes on any map that isn't Florida Gold.

Those files take control of the game. The master files were never a secret. If you look at the files the game loaded into your ProgramFiles/2KGames...etc. you will see that many of the files are linked to the MyGames folder for the game. That means if you make a new set of the master files the game will follow those files when it loads. There are dozens of games that use that same setup. So no big find there.

The global listings I add inside my maps turn things on and then turn off stuff in the game I don't want turned on or that I don't use. Why? If you load too much into the game it becomes unstable. So seeing as Florida Gold is 20x20 and has 33 industries and goods it looked like a good idea. It works too. :)

Any map can be a Clean Install Compatible map. The single idea about a self-contained map being called a CIC instead of a SAM is one single difference and it has nothing to do with global files. That single difference is...any new game content has to be placed inside the single map folder for the game. No fpks, no other files outside that single file folder...and the new content is uncompressed as the fpks are the Friraxis version of a zip file. So on super sized maps with tons of new content and well over fifty trains running 33 industries, uncompressed sounded good to me. It doesn't matter if it doesn't help on the game running or not; the idea was to make a super simple system for people to swap out maps. CIC maps are a single file folder with the maps name on it that you simply drop into user maps folder and play away, and later when it is time to swap out the map with another, that too is a simple task.

So, CICs are one file folder, with the maps name on it only. It makes no difference what is inside if it runs for you. Unless you are making new maps yourself and want to know the inner workings better for that reason.
:D

Now what some may be saying is that the rrt_scenario.xml files are not needed and I could simply add a new rrt_goods.xml list and not use the rrt_florida_gold_goods.xml list. The only trouble there is when in the game editor and you place an item down on the map board...all the Location information the game will want to load on that snenario.xml list. So in reality both lists are needed. The master list holds the model information and details about the game model...the scenario list file houses the information of the location of said item on the game board.

So even the idea of using "only" global files inside and nix the scenario list idea would be incorrect. The correct answer here is the master and slave files are needed for proper information to be listed and posted by the game when running.

...and my maps run smooth and fast all the way to the end.
...and that's the end of that story...good day. :D
"Last line in memory of Paul Harvey...may he rest in peace."

Bunit

Post by Bunit » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:07 am

Lowell wrote:
i have read things all over this forum they are not needed. Why have them if they are not needed?
They are wrong.

To add new industries and goods at the start of the game, all new items must be on a global xml list or the game will not load them and crash. The global files house the large list for the game to know what is what when it starts. You may notice that in Florida Gold there is no coal. Just try and play a default game map with the Florida Gold map file inside your user maps folder and see what happens...you crash. Why, because on the global industries and goods files inside Florida Gold...there is no coal industry or good. Hence game crashes on any map that isn't Florida Gold.

Those files take control of the game. The master files were never a secret. If you look at the files the game loaded into your ProgramFiles/2KGames...etc. you will see that many of the files are linked to the MyGames folder for the game. That means if you make a new set of the master files the game will follow those files when it loads. There are dozens of games that use that same setup. So no big find there.

The global listings I add inside my maps turn things on and then turn off stuff in the game I don't want turned on or that I don't use. Why? If you load too much into the game it becomes unstable. So seeing as Florida Gold is 20x20 and has 33 industries and goods it looked like a good idea. It works too. :)

Any map can be a Clean Install Compatible map. The single idea about a self-contained map being called a CIC instead of a SAM is one single difference and it has nothing to do with global files. That single difference is...any new game content has to be placed inside the single map folder for the game. No fpks, no other files outside that single file folder...and the new content is uncompressed as the fpks are the Friraxis version of a zip file. So on super sized maps with tons of new content and well over fifty trains running 33 industries, uncompressed sounded good to me. It doesn't matter if it doesn't help on the game running or not; the idea was to make a super simple system for people to swap out maps. CIC maps are a single file folder with the maps name on it that you simply drop into user maps folder and play away, and later when it is time to swap out the map with another, that too is a simple task.

So, CICs are one file folder, with the maps name on it only. It makes no difference what is inside if it runs for you. Unless you are making new maps yourself and want to know the inner workings better for that reason.
:D

Now what some may be saying is that the rrt_scenario.xml files are not needed and I could simply add a new rrt_goods.xml list and not use the rrt_florida_gold_goods.xml list. The only trouble there is when in the game editor and you place an item down on the map board...all the Location information the game will want to load on that snenario.xml list. So in reality both lists are needed. The master list holds the model information and details about the game model...the scenario list file houses the information of the location of said item on the game board.

So even the idea of using "only" global files inside and nix the scenario list idea would be incorrect. The correct answer here is the master and slave files are needed for proper information to be listed and posted by the game when running.

...and my maps run smooth and fast all the way to the end.
...and that's the end of that story...good day. :D
"Last line in memory of Paul Harvey...may he rest in peace."
Well I dont see it as wrong after looking at a SAM maps
Goods & Industries xml files they have the full listings in the 2 files, where as the CIC from what you are saying it has 4 files that are needed 2 map specific and 2 global files.
Seems silly as the game then has to load all them when they only need to look at 2 files with all that information on them.
As I cant see a CIC map on this forum as they have been removed I cant look at 1 to see what it is made like, So I cant try to make a map in CIC type. I guess I will try and make a map using the SAM type.

And as for fastest server well they might be where you are but if others dont have it is still a very slow download and I am on Dialup not broadband as i live in the country where broadband has not reached us so it takes hours to download large files. So why not pak them into FPK's so they are not so big and it would make them easier to get.
And remember not everyone has broadband.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:27 am

Bunit wrote:i have read things all over this forum they are not needed. Why have them if they are not needed?
Yes ...NOT NEEDED if you use default GOODs
Lowell wrote: They are wrong.

To add new industries and goods at the start of the game, all new items must be on a global xml list or the game will not load them and crash.
You are correct only 50% Lowell ........ :lol:
because only for NEW GOODs must to do FULL LISTING and make she as GLOBAL XML in \My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets\XML, Not the other....you will see that in my new Map "The Island Of Sodor" that will be coming soon after testing its by a member here....
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:17 am

Well all my mods add new game goods, industries, trains and cars. Mud Skippers has mud cakes, mud wine, clay and pottery...none of those come with the games PC/DVD. Hence master and slave entries. If the map uses the games default goods, you do not need the master files at all...only when you add new stuff to the game do you need them. Default maps would be super quick to fill out the lists as only the titles of each would be required on the scenario lists.

Buint, I am sorry you don't have a faster connection. This kind of thing will be amplified, as new games will be larger and larger. Games will always get larger and the mod files will follow.

In this case, you could let it download as you sleep or while you go out for work etc. Me...I have a 12meg connection at home.

Mud Skippers is being beta tested at this time, tests start today. If you would like to help give it a run-through let me know. I can also help you walk through "how/why" on the xml lists. I think after you read through the files then do some experiments yourself you will see. But remember, you only need those extra xml lists for any "new" stuff you add to the game. Most of the sams are maps that use the games default goods, and they are not such large maps either. Game stability should be paramount when building and testing.

Yes, the maps were here at the forum and were removed because of certian reasons we don't need to go over. However, time has passed and things have changed, they will be re-posted as the new add-ons are completed. Florida Gold is getting the larger face lift. Mud Skippers and the two holiday maps are first. Followed by several other new maps.
Attachments
mud_auto_011.png

RockyNarrowGauge

Post by RockyNarrowGauge » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:58 am

Please explain how this map works.
Attachments
Santa_SAM2.zip
(12.74 MiB) Downloaded 393 times

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:08 am

RockyNarrowGauge wrote:Please explain how this map works.
As SAM map this map can run perfectly, and as SAM Map too can't laying with other Map.
although you use most of the goods are defaut goods but you must to do Full Listing for all your goods because you use the name RRT_Goods.XML and not use RRT_Goods_Santa.xml.
I think this is funny map and anyone who create this map need to learn more about XML, because in there have 2 RRT_Train that is RRT_Trains.XML containing all default Trains and RRT_Trains_Santa.xml containing 4 default Trains and 1 as not default Train that is HOLYDAY SPECIAL TRAIN but didn't make FULL LISTING for this Train.
he wanted to use HOLIDAY_SPECIAL Train in this map but in RRT_Scenario_Santa.xml use RRT_Trains.xml so certainly HOLIDAY SPECIAL train will not appear in the game.... :P
AND if use RRT_Trains_Santa.xml will occur like the picture below...because this train is not defined in the form of XML file

ADD Notes:
In there have no NIF, KFM, KF, DDS and TGA for the Holiday Special Model so should be this train is not there, but as Holiday Map this train is as icon for this map, so she must be there
In RRT_TrainCars I have found American Tender Car and Mikado Tender Car but didn't have support file, so for what???? those tenders.... :roll:

CookieFactory.kfm and ToyFactory.kfm will be have no animation because the both only have 3 KF that are for animation when grow from small size to medium size and from medium to large size
Attachments
holiday special.jpg
Last edited by Rodea2007 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB