Shipping Ports!!

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
snoopy55

Shipping Ports!!

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:01 pm

Dr Frag was talking about a shipping port that could be used like a city, but without all the buildings. I had a few ideas about it and finally decided to work them out today. What I have below is a version of my Wisconsin map with the port city of Sheboygan Port. You can run a track right to it and put in a Station, and you can use it in your Victory Conditions. It is set as a # 10 size city and I didn't have time to test to see if a Metropolis would grow into a 'Shipping' as it's called in city sizes, but if someone would like to change one of the cities to a Metropolis and try to work it up, they could post here if it did or not. It also needs a couple of other things... when you put the Station up, the Dock tends to move, so a Dock as a Decoration would be nice. Then maybe use the Distribution Center as the building.
A later thing could be a Gasoline Refinery as another 'Shipping' Industry and create Gasoline as another Good.

You'll have to remove the existing Wisconsin map to check this out. Just move it to a Temp folder somewhere on a drive. There are no other things to be added, it will work with it put into _SCENARIOS_ or UserMaps.

:twisted:

Edited 9/18/07 changed Coffee to Food
Edited 9/20/07 removed Wisconsin Characters
Attachments
As you can see, the Dock has been shifted a bit!
As you can see, the Dock has been shifted a bit!
Sheboygan Port.jpg (105.01 KiB) Viewed 8600 times
Last edited by snoopy55 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:47 pm

I played around with it a little and it seemed to work fine. The only problem I had was I couldn't see my depot radius and I don't think I can make a custom platform for it since all cities start with a Depot.

But I didn't spend a lot of time on it since I was messing with the Installer stuff.

And yes, track/depot placement always trumps building location.
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:05 pm

I fixed the Depot radius problem. You have to set the City up with one small building. I guess the game figures no buildings, no raduis mark. Picky, picky, picky. Someone needs to smack this game and teach it some maners.....

I tried to wittle down a Fishery to a Dock, but I don't understand those NIF and KFM files good enough. I'm gonna try to play around with it some more and I've asked for a bit of help from another source.

Ok, after I pulled the splinters out of my skull from banging my head on my desk, I found out that you cannot mix a Coastal and a non-coastal in the same City. Go figure......

So, a Dock as a Decoration, a Port city type with 1 building, 1 to 3 Distribution Points renamed Transfer Points and each given a different name in the DisplayNames, and you have a Shipping Port that can accept almost any number of Goods, and even return any number of Goods, and it has 1 lonely Guard Shack. As there is a new Depot level, a Railroad Unloading Platform could be made up for the depot Building, or even a version of the Dock with a bit of color change, scaled a bit smaller. A KFM would be needed, and the forklift could be added.

The NIF and KFM construction is beyond me, so we'll see if anyone wants to take the ball I've thrown and make a run for it..... :wink:

dwax

Post by dwax » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:27 pm

Tried the map snoopy. Just get a CTD :)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Sorry bout that, I had done some testing with the Coffee Good and forgot to remove it :oops: . All it requires is the SuperBowlExpress and the Basin&Range maps.

dwax

Post by dwax » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:48 am

Have to give it another try. :) Only problem is I run out of time, started a new job working at a school cleaning up after school, and work until midnight, come home and sleep,and get ready for my other job. :lol:

dwax

Post by dwax » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:36 pm

Still get the CTD. :(

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:13 am

I had a reference to a special Character file in the Scenario. I can't see why it was working for me, I removed the original files. I'll take a 50/50 deal, I'll split the blame with the game :twisted:

dwax

Post by dwax » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:48 pm

This one just don't like me, still get the CTD.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:23 pm

Must be the operater....... :wink:

This is the Wisconsin map with a new item that only uses graphics from Basin and Range....... The Wisconsin map had to have Super Bowl Express to run it, otherwise it's all stock. The Port is only using Food for input and None for output.

Might need a different Engineer :twisted:

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:30 am

Can't you change the input and the output in the "Industries" file, like for example?

<Production>
<Resource>
<Input>Passengers</Input>
<Output>Gold</Output>
<InputOutputRatio>1.0000</InputOutputRatio>
</Resource>

<Resource>
<Input>Visitors</Input>
<Output>Gold</Output>
<InputOutputRatio>0.50000</InputOutputRatio>
</Resource>
</Production>

Jancsika

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:41 am

Yes, as long as they are listed in Goods, Depots if they are from an Annex, Industries and you have a train car for them. Also, final products need a place to go in Cities.

Simply put, they must be in:

RRT_Goods
RRT_Depots and/or RRT_Industries
RRT_TrainCars
and final products in RRT_Cities

And all materials must either be full data in the map folder or full data in the XML files and referances in the map files.

This is why I use printed sheets in plastic notebook protecters and dry erase markers :twisted:

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:10 pm

Also, final products need a place to go in Cities.
Do you mean that "None" in the output won't work?
<Output>None</Output>
Jancsika

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:41 pm

No, he means that if you make a product (cars from steel, etc.) you should have a city that requires them so you have some place to deliver them.

And 'none' as an Output if fine.
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:16 pm

Thanks Doc! :) I overlooked that as the only two Industries that have None (of the original game) are Newspaper and Power Company.