owenmcc1

How To Create Maps?

Post by owenmcc1 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:19 pm

How Can I Create My Own Map? :?:

atani

Re: How To Create Maps?

Post by atani » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:05 pm

owenmcc1 wrote:How Can I Create My Own Map? :?:
You should use the ingame editor to generate the terrain and a tool like Scenario Manager to create the XML files required for the game. Then use the installer code I wrote to package it for others to install.

Mike

--------

After my post here I am moving this to the Talk forum instead of Maps (where downloads are provided and discussed).

BadKharma

Post by BadKharma » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:33 pm

Hello I am wondering if there is another way to edit a map. IE is it possible to bring a map into a graphic editing program to make it easier to make real world terrain. Using just the editor seems like it would be a difficult time consuming task to try to make real world terrain.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:59 pm

Near the top of this screen you'll find this - Railroads! Wiki. Click on it and you'll find info under MODDING THE GAME.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

BadKharma

Post by BadKharma » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:47 am

Thanks Snoopy I'll check it out.

Star Ranger4

Post by Star Ranger4 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:02 am

The one thing I cant seem to find an answer for is with the 8 subsections....

When you go to combine them into 1 targa, are they place side by side, or top to bottom?

Star Ranger4

Post by Star Ranger4 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:02 am

Aaaand the asnwer IS:

top to bottom, as I found from my own experimentation. Oh, and no alpha channel, it gives the game major heartburn. You should update the making your own terrain maps to include those facts Snoopy...

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:25 am

Aaaaaaand the question IS:

How did you make your map? The editor makes that file. You have not any control over which direction it comes out, what order they are in and whether it has an alpha layer or not.

As to editing that Wiki tutorial, my 'few track mind' hasn't played with that for way over a year, and I'll not attempt to edit what I don't understand.

Star Ranger4

Post by Star Ranger4 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:55 am

I'm refering to custom Terrain, Snoopy. You know, the file that is 8 times as tall as it is wide?

http://www.hookedgamers.com/gamewiki/Si ... _TGA_Style

That topic... I thought it was one you did for some reason. And I figured this out the hard way by trying to get a hand assembled .TGA to load into the map editor once I had my scenario opened.

hang on... There is the name Strategterm at the end. I guess that means its not you who created it.

who maintains the wiki now, anyway? Falconer and co?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:50 am

I know I've been doing some stuff with it. It's really up to who ever wants to do any serious editing to it. You just have to be sure that what you are editing or writting is tested and proven, not a 'it didn't work for me the one time I tried it, so it ain't gonna work for no one'.

There are a lot of lines I could guess at in the XML explanations, but until i know for sure, it ain't gonna get written.

There are also a lot of maps that are not listed, along with all of the SAMs and a lot of BBs. Haven't figured out a way to do the SAMs yet.........

Also, Dr Frag is the one who did it, look at the last line under "Putting It All Together". I think Strategterm did that final section, "Map Coordinate Systems".