A Different Mexico

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
snoopy55

A Different Mexico

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:24 pm

Slappy and Karsten - looking over the artical and looking over a map, even Google Earth, some of those cities are no more. Also, if you put them in in the approximate place, a full Mexico map would get crowded up north.

There are two I can think of that might be better.

1) A little west of San Diego, Go over to Abilene Texas and go up to the corner of Texas there, down to the edge of Mexico City (which we could include.... :roll: ) That would give a lot of water, but that will happen anyway.

2) Upper right, Wichita Falls, lower right Veracruz and upper left just below where the Colorado River emptie into the Gulf of california.

We could leave off Baja California in both and stop those long bridges.

I guess a third would be the Tropic of Cancer, 98 or 100 degrees, 35 degrees and 111 or 113 degrees... :roll:

From Slappy -
Agave = Tequillia
Grain = Tortillias. Tortillias = Tacos.
Beans are big in Mexico. Oil + Coal , Gold & Copper are all found there. Although Turquoise might be more accurate than Gold. Clay is required to make pots. I think in the early days passengers & mail were one of the biggest things.

And my words -
If I can find someone to do the landscape effects and another to come up with a set of Victories, we might get something.

Is cornmeal used as much as Taco Bell makes it seem? A Bean icon and we have that crop using the Grain Farm. A copper mine needs a greenish ore? Ship the finished copper in a Produce or Manufactured Goods car. Turquoise as a Bluish Ore and again, finished in a Produce or Manufactured Goods car. The Tequillia production in a edited Food Plant, REfinery or Chemical Plant (Manual pictures). Of course we need fields of Blue Agave in a certain area of Mexico.
Of course any new cars need Mexican RR IDs.

And this Copper Canyon thing is a tourist thing?..... get some of the buildings that are flat topped and do them in Mexican building colors, or the colors on that web sight, and call them Motels/Hotels.

I also tried doing the mapping from the tut, but all I get is shallow water and full height flat-topped land for the most part. I have Paint Shop Pro 7, and that just don't get it. Also, the pointy peaks when it is done correct would need to be buffered a bit, the flat-land to mountain eased into.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:20 pm

Snoopy, I fully agree, zoom in, that produces a more interesting map and scenario.

In fact, I believe what Slappy had in mind was to devote the whole game map to the area and railroad shown in this map :D It has lots of tunnels, dramatic bridges, it took 90 years to build ..., and it would be a real hills and valleys scenario, but admittedly more or less a single line, with perhaps a few branches to copper mines. Plus there is lots of space to do Tequilia, Tortillias and Tacos production, perhaps along the coast or inland.
But if you have in mind even better areas, why not provide a Google Earth crop of those you are thinking of?
Attachments
Copper Canyon.jpg
Copper Canyon.jpg (61.14 KiB) Viewed 11567 times

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:00 pm

karsten - do you live alone or something???(i could sit w/ my finger up my nose all day & not be bothered, go upstairs to work on something, and i hear my name called :roll: ) I spent close to an hour trying to find info on that Copper Canyon to locate the cities mentioned in the site Slappy listed and they don't exits anymore. What's the web address for that artical you posted?

To the maps.... Google Earth is great for locating cities, but lousy for mapping. The satelite shots are done 365 days a year, so you have spring, summer fall and winter all coming together in one spot. Yuck :?
Below are the maps I mentioned.

In all 3 the copper mines just below Arizona are still acessable. One victory could be a massive shipment of cattle to the Pacific coast prior to the Swifts Car start. Turquoise mining to the ports. Gold and silver. The Copper Canyon connection and Hotels w/large # Passengers to them by a date.

The last looks the best. In this, Tunnels and Bridges are a requirement. Also, low prices for shipped goods, which was real life, would slow down expansion and the money run.

And the list goes on.
Attachments
Good for shipping to the US and both seas.
Good for shipping to the US and both seas.
First.jpg (120.78 KiB) Viewed 11539 times
Closer in, more mountain detail, still with both seas.
Closer in, more mountain detail, still with both seas.
Second.jpg (117.48 KiB) Viewed 11538 times
More Karstens size, with Pacific and US shipping.
More Karstens size, with Pacific and US shipping.
Third.jpg (114.2 KiB) Viewed 11538 times

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:33 pm

snoopy, I just stumpled over that map on the site mentioned by slappy, dumb luck I guess! I am fine with your third map, you guys decide, I would be pleased to join in. Just have to mention that I am currently very focussed on Australia Map, need to get that out first, but I could contribute some, if you found that useful.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:11 pm

Hey glad to have you. Slappys doing the Goods research I guess. Unless there is someone else, I'm going to look into maybe the graphics needed. The worst part of that I can see is getting the Hotels put together from the parts.

I can handle the programming.

Your Australia map look great from what I've seen of it.

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:27 pm

OK, great, pm me if you would like me to add or test anything!
That map is Dr Frag´s actually, I am struggling mightily with the scenario :P

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:50 am

Dr Frag - if you want to try a tighter map for this, the third.jpg is the aera we were looking for. The one you did tho gives us a larger area to work with. Either or both would be good. Someone may want to go with the tighter one themselves.

Karsten - the Doc did a map on the other post by this name. Check it out.

Reply on the other post......

Chalako

Post by Chalako » Mon May 14, 2007 3:14 pm

I played the mexico-map but there are no demands or passengers.Where can i find the right map?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon May 14, 2007 4:12 pm

Chalako - sorry, but that is why this is in Talk right now. It's just something that a few others have said they'd work together with me on and things have slowed a bit. A piece. A chunk.... :roll: I'm still learning graphics, Slappy is working at his job and Karsten is waiting for a call for help. Plus any others that have volenteered assistance.
Thanks for the interest tho.

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon May 14, 2007 7:13 pm

My apologies, snoopy, :oops: I have been away this weekend, I am a bit burned out with testing that epic Utah map as Robber Baron AND there is Australia waiting... I am having a bit of quiet fun tonight with Basin And Range map. 8)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:29 pm

No, I've been into other things also. This was not a 'let's see how fast we can get it out' thing. I was just looking into Peanuts as a Good. Remove the feilds and tractor from the Grain farm and use Decoration feilds for the Peanut crops. But I work best with 3 screens and my on-board is putting out a bright screen. I went to check it out with Help and Support and it tells me to go into 'Start', 'Help and Support' cause there is a problem. I go there and IT tells me to go into 'Start', 'Help and Support' cause there is a problem. DUH. I just spent 1 1/2 hours trying to add a PCI video card but I don't have enough resourses no matter what I do.
I am getting a AM2 X2 w/ 2-3GB and a 512Mb X1950 PRO X16 video board. And a Catapiller Generator to power it :twisted: I just cannot decide on whether to get a MoBo with on-board video or a 2 X16 board and a smaller Video card as a 2nd. I want 3 or 4 monitors for work space. I have a 6 x 3 drafting table to work on.
Guess we'll see what happens.

Kenster

Copper

Post by Kenster » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:40 pm

Hi all,
I see some talk of making Copper Industry. I'm Working on my new map "New England Big" and want copper mines that gets sent to a Smelter, that gets sent to a wire plant then goes to Metropolises.

If some one already made most or all of this I could save myself from trying to reinvent the wheel.
Just point me to the map that has what I need and I'll dig though it.
I guess I could just use a combination of stock and modded stuff.

It's been awhile since working with all the XML files and after giving myself a headache trying to look at all the new stuff, tuts, & XMLs I could use a little help.

One question I have is how and were do I change the XML to lets say change a Gold Mine and make it into a Copper Mine or change a Smelter to make Copper from Copper Ore.
I think I need to change them in here first x:\Documents and Settings\Name\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets\XML
Then add it to my maps RRT_Industries_New England Big.xml.

But then how do I declare what TrainCars pick up stuff. Can I just rename the cars ie.
<TrainCar>
<szName>Box Car</szName>
<szGood>Copper Wire</szGood>
<szModel>Box_Car.kfm</szModel>
<szDummyModel>Box_Car_dummies.nif</szDummyModel>
<szIcon>icon_car_goods.dds</szIcon>
<szGroundClackSound>AS3D_CLACK_PLANET_GROUND</szGroundClackSound>
<szBridgeClackSound>AS3D_CLACK_PLANET_BRIDGE</szBridgeClackSound>
<RunLength>30</RunLength>
</TrainCar>

I'm sure someone wrote how to do this, but I'm either reading over it or my old eyes are in need of rest :shock:

Thanks for any help..

Kenster

Post by Kenster » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:51 am

N/M

I think I found my answer in one of your other post snoopy on how to transform a stock Industry into a new name.
If I get brave I'll try and make a real Copper Industry :roll:

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:46 pm

If you're not in a real hurry, I have the Mine, Copper Ore Car, (the smelter comes next) and the Rolls of copper on a car. I'm just recoloring the Paper car to haul Copper, but if I do the sides of the rolls in a plastic-like gray and do the outside in a tarp color, or unrealisticly leave it a bare copper, it could work for you with a bit of editing if needed.
Just give me 2 or 3 days.

:twisted:

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:48 pm

OK, it wasn't as bad as I thought, I think..... :roll:
Here are the files for the copper set. The RTF file containes the XML codes needed. As you're getting into this I'm figuring you know where they go. If not, dig in and learn..... :wink:
I used the Smelter Industry because I have 3 metals I'm playing with and no room for three different Industries. If you want to make an Industry specific to copper smelting, go for it. In the Copper Car folder you'll find two JPEGs and a GIF of Copper, the GIF is as close to rolls as I could find. They'll give you some graphics to work from. I may yet redo the Copper Ore Icon as I have a JPEG of it and the Silver Ore Icon came out looking better using a JPG to make it.

The cost of using this is for you to test it out and let me know if it works OK. The only thing I haven't tested is the Copper Car.

:twisted:
Last edited by snoopy55 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.