First Attempt With DEM Data

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
Dr Frag

First Attempt With DEM Data

Post by Dr Frag » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:02 am

Okay guys, this is my first attempt at using Digital Elevation Map data. I grabbed the GTopo30 data of the world and created a Height Map and Terrain Map from it then pieced it together into the TGA composite image. I then loaded up Railroads and created a 225 sq unit map and saved it. Closed Railroads and copied my TGA into the map dir and loaded up Railroads to see what happened. Lo & Behold it actually worked. The terrain coloring didn't come out right but I really didn't pay attention to that so I'll have to go look at the proper shades of green etc. Let me know what you think and if it's worth pursuing. Not necessarily Australia but the use of DEM data for creating maps. I'd be willing to make em for others projects if desired.
Last edited by Dr Frag on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

atani

Re: First Attempt With DEM Data

Post by atani » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:16 am

Dr Frag wrote:Okay guys, this is my first attempt at using Digital Elevation Map data. I grabbed the GTopo30 data of the world and created a Height Map and Terrain Map from it then pieced it together into the TGA composite image. I then loaded up Railroads and created a 225 sq unit map and saved it. Closed Railroads and copied my TGA into the map dir and loaded up Railroads to see what happened. Lo & Behold it actually worked. The terrain coloring didn't come out right but I really didn't pay attention to that so I'll have to go look at the proper shades of green etc. Let me know what you think and if it's worth pursuing. Not necessarily Australia but the use of DEM data for creating maps. I'd be willing to make em for others projects if desired.
Looks nice, unfortunately this one doesnt quite fit right in the preview window (both in game and the editor) with a pair of black bars on the side of the image for whatever reason.

How are you converting the DEM data anyway? I was going to do up a scenario for the goldrush here in california/nevada area covering ideally San Francisco to say Reno, up to Sacramento and down to say Bakersfield. Kinda a big area but there are lots of places in that area where gold is found (and still found today!)

Mike

Mike

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:08 am

I use 3DEM, from http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem.html to create the height map.
It is incredibly good, compared to many other products I have tried, and its FREE :!:

The view windows (both in game and the editor) are smaller than the .tga, by something like 80 pixels on each side of a 901x901 map (someone may want to do precise measurements). This allows the scenery to continue visually beyond the map boundaries. So grab a bigger square area than you actually plan to use in game.

I found this out the hard way when creating my forthcoming Liverpool and Manchester RR :D

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:29 pm

Yeah, I totaly forgot about the boundaries and cropped to tightly. Like I said this is my first 'throw together' attemp after trying to get all of the Australia data into one image file. I will definitely go back and tweak...actually start over...now that I see it works.

I couldn't use 3DEM because Australia is too big and it seems to have a limit of 20 degrees. I used Wilbur to create the height map and terrain map (which didn't seem to cause any terrain coloring)

Big Papa

Post by Big Papa » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:26 pm

De Frag,
Looks great! :D I just use the terrain editor to smooth any peaks and valleys like on your costline. Large radius on the smooth tool, and not to much. If you don't like the results, don't save, and reopen.
<edit>
I also have had used brightness & equalize/stretch functions to lower/raise areas of the map (paint shop pro). I did this with Super Bowl Ex to get flordia just above sea level. I haven't tried painting grass/trees in the .tga, only in the terrain editor, but this would give you a good head start.
Keep up the good work.

Big Papa

bhendrix69882

How To ???

Post by bhendrix69882 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:13 pm

Ok for us people out here that don't know how to do stuff like this and would like to learn....namely me.... could you please post a How to exactly how you did it......if not then would you post one for the US... for me to edit in the terrain editor...

Thanks
BTrain

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:55 am

Coming Up . . .
I will post it in the Mods - Talk section.

EDIT: Okay, I have posted a basic tutorial over in the Mods - Talk section.

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:55 pm

Dr Frag
I can't see the map. i put it in the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets\XML\_SCENARIOS_ and when I try to select it, there is no where to be found. :(

dr3noodle

Post by dr3noodle » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:31 pm

dwax wrote:Dr Frag
I can't see the map. i put it in the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets\XML\_SCENARIOS_ and when I try to select it, there is no where to be found. :(
I dropped it into my User Maps folder and ran it with no problems at all. Try that and see if it works.

dwax

Post by dwax » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:48 am

Tried what you said dr3noodle, and it still wont show up. Another bug I suppose. this is the only map that I can't see. I can load it with the editor but other wise it's not there. :(

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:15 am

Did you do step 4? If so then you need to go to C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\UserMaps\<scenarioname>\map_<scenarioname>.tga

<scenarioname> is the name you gave your new scenario (map) when you created it in the Terrain Editor.

You will use that map_<scenarioname>.tga in step 5 etc.

dr3noodle

Post by dr3noodle » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:43 am

dwax wrote:Tried what you said dr3noodle, and it still wont show up. Another bug I suppose. this is the only map that I can't see. I can load it with the editor but other wise it's not there. :(
Load it in the editor, add some cities and some industries, save entities, save map, exit to main menu and you should be able to see it in the single player menu.

I was able to open it as-is but had to add some locations for cities and raw materials...