Industry questions

Discuss maps, trains and other modding topics
BadKharma

Post by BadKharma » Sat May 05, 2007 9:03 pm

OK I have another question. I notice it is possible to place more than 3 industries in a city when you place it in the editor. First if you put more than 3 industries in a city does that mean you cannot build any industries in that city during gameplay? Also does the starting size ie village town city metropolis have any bearing on this?

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Sat May 05, 2007 9:44 pm

You can jam as many industries as you want in there with the editor, and they'll all work, however if a village 1 (or more), a town 2, or a city/metro 3 industries, you can't build any more there. Ie, in the editor, you don't need to follow the rules, but in the game, you do, even if you've already 'broken' the rules in the editor.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun May 06, 2007 5:29 am

BadKharma - you can put more than 3 in any size city, but once you do, there is no adding any during play. And no, you can put as many as you want in village, town, city or metropolis. But as Stormfather said, if you put say 1 in a village, you can't get any more in there during play until it grows to the next size.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

BadKharma

Post by BadKharma » Sun May 06, 2007 9:36 pm

OK........that makes sense. It also makes victory conditions dependant upon the growing the village town etc to a certain size in order to add a new industry. Thanks.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon May 07, 2007 1:35 am

Some maps have victory conditions that certain cities grow to a certain size by a certain time also.

Good Luck. :D

BadKharma

Post by BadKharma » Mon May 07, 2007 5:12 am

Yes I found it a nice challenge the first time I played the US Northwest scenario.

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Mon May 07, 2007 2:43 pm

I like to have delivery objectives that require cities to be of a certain size before they accept a certain good. For example, if Cities demand Autos, and I have an objective to ship 50 carloads of Autos, then you would have to grow at least one Town into a City to start shipping Autos and meet the objective.

I like objectives that imply other preconditions, kind of like building a house: you need the foundation and walls before you can put the roof on.

BadKharma

Post by BadKharma » Thu May 10, 2007 10:13 pm

I agree with that and have noticed in alot of the pre-existing scenarios it is set up that way. Doesn't a city have to grow into a metropolis before it requires automobiles? Is that the same for arms?

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Thu May 10, 2007 10:35 pm

Yes, in the default eurpoean scenaries, arms replace autos, and are only demanded by metropoli.

Both Karsten and I have created industries that demand arms: Karsten used an Air Force base for his Nevada map, and I used a more generic 'military base' for my America map. If memory serves me correctly, I've played a UK map that had a similar feature- possibly Narra's UK map?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu May 10, 2007 10:43 pm

BadKharma - in certains maps that is correct, but the creater of a map can choose to have whatever size city accept whatever good he chooses. It's part of the fun in creating maps, you choose to do it how you want, and if you as the player don't like it, you can either delete the map or change it.

Isn't editing fun :twisted:

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Thu May 10, 2007 11:11 pm

Case in point: In my maps, I've replaced 'Autos' with 'Machinery.' I always feel weird delivering trainloads of autos in the 1800's. I like machinery because it's very generic (much like Manufactured Goods) and there could be anything in those boxcars, evan cars!

In fact, when cars were first being mass produced, they were often (as was the case for the Model T) disassembled and loaded into boxcars in pieces! Later, with the creation of the auto-loader, cars were loaded into boxcars in a somewhat awkward (but much better than being in pieces) fashion.

Code: Select all

X/XX\X
X's represent cars, and the / and \ are movable ramps that the cars on the end can be loaded onto and then tilted enough to allow other cars under them. Best of all, if there were no autos in the boxcar, the ramps could be pulled all the way up, opening it up for other cargos.

Incidentally, the newest issue of Model Railroader (Jun 07) has an article on these autoloaders. It's an interesting read, if you're into that sort of stuff.

Anyway, the standard auto rack cars didn't become common till the 50's, and since most of the USA scenarios end in the 50's, I made the decision to switch to machinery for my maps. My germany map ends with WW1, which would have made the presence of autos a little silly, and my next map, New York, ends in the 30's, so as far as my maps are concerned, autos are out of place.

As snoopy said, it's all up to the builder.

BadKharma

Post by BadKharma » Sat May 12, 2007 11:48 pm

I like the idea of machinery instead of auto's how do you go about changing the icons?
Also is there a way to certain industries unavailable until a certain date like adding something into the xml?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun May 13, 2007 1:42 am

You don't change the icons, you change the product. You change any reference to Autos to Machinery (Goods, Cities) Change the Auto industry to a Machinery Industry (Industries) and change the Auto car to Machinery Car (TrainCars) Those aren't all the specific names, but that's the basics.

BadKharma

Post by BadKharma » Sun May 13, 2007 1:48 am

OK.........but then the icons shown in the game would still be the ones for the auto's.........I notice with the Santa scenario there is a folder \CustomAssets\Interface\Goods with icons in it could I add a machinery icon to that folder and make the icon change in the xml?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun May 13, 2007 2:03 am

No, look in the GLOBAL RRT_Goods.xml and find 'Automobiles'. It will have 4 Icon TGAs for game display. Now find Machinery and you'll see 4 different Icons. You can make your own Icons and in a map put these lines:

<szGTMLIcon>icon_machinery_32.tga</szGTMLIcon>
<BitmapLarge>
<szFile>icon_machinery_64.tga</szFile>
</BitmapLarge>
<BitmapSmall>
<szFile>icon_machinery_32.tga</szFile>
</BitmapSmall>
<BitmapTiny>
<szFile>icon_machinery_16.tga</szFile>
</BitmapTiny>

under Machinery and change the Icon names to anything you want, including an Icon you made and named. It's all in the wrist..... :wink: