Pampas (Argentina) map.

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Vic

Pampas (Argentina) map.

Post by Vic » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:41 am

Many years ago I spent some time in Argentina and I loved the wide expanse of the Pampas with roaming herds of cattle, open skies, the beef!! and of course the country in general and its people. So I thought a Railroads! map of that area might be fun.

Unfortunately, most of that is now gone because of agriculturisation but it's still a great place to visit. And the beef is almost as good as I remember it.

It's a standard size map, 15x15, and can be played with competitors. I tried to reflect some of the local railroad history in the tasks. It is not a SAM.

It was made on a Windows 7 Ultimate with 8Gb and also runs without problems on my Windows 8 Home Edition laptop with 4Gb.

I welcome any tips, comments, etc.

Thanks!
Attachments
Pampas.rar
(653.95 KiB) Downloaded 640 times

snoopy55

Re: Pampas (Argentina) map.

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:38 am

Vic - You must have uploaded the wrong copy. Your Scenario calls for RRT_TrainCars.xml. Your RRT_TrainCars.xml only lists 3-liner Train Cars which will cause the map to crash. You can remove the RRT_TrainCars.xml file from your map and it will use the one from the game.

This will remove the Tenders from the map. If you wish I can create a TrainCars XML with the needed tenders. Or you can.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Vic

Post by Vic » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:13 pm

Hi snoopy55,

I'm not home right now, so no access to my files. But I will remove it and adjust the scenario file as well.

Thanks.

railage

Post by railage » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:50 pm

I played this after applying Snoopy's temporary fix that disabled the tenders. Another nice map, thanks for sharing. Here's some ideas/suggestions.

1. I had an issue with buildable industries again. The Stockyard wasn't available, but the goals required building it. I am sure it only happens to some players depending on what the game picks randomly, but it's easily fixed using the <bInCity> lines.

2. The "Good": Gold is visible but not demanded or supplied anywhere.

3. I didn't have a crash this time, but there are some events for unused Goods (such as Beer and Cornmeal) that will cause one if the game tries to use them. That's the randomness of the events. The game only picked good ones in my play.

This map uses lots of farms and they give insane output when supplied with grain. (Please note what Snoopy said, Grain will not convert to two different outputs, otherwise Nitrates->Grain->Nitrates->Grain.... would really be an endless loop.)

As a consequence of the high-output farms, traffic density is high in the central north plain of the map. I played against 3 AI, and I strategized that I should encourage the AI to connect to the same cities I have connected to. This way upon merging them all after 10 to 15 years I ended up with two stations in the interior cities. This was the only way I could handle the traffic available. Maybe it's a thing from RTII, but if I have stacks of cargo that I am unable to haul away I feel I am not doing my job.

Thought I would mention play time and details, simply as a reference for economic potential. I tend to try to max things out and play economically so my results are nearer the short end of the spectrum. I always play on Robber Baron. I started in Santa Rosa. I like to play without patents, but playing against AI means that they will buy some. Upon merging them I inherited the Pullman Passenger, Swift's Refrigerator, Greathead Tunneling, and Baldwin's Sandbox patents. I never bought any more. I completed the goals by reaching 750M net worth in June 1903. At the finish I had 23,530 miles of track and 140 locos. Track laying was slow near the end, but I was so close that I kept going.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:05 am

I PM'd Vic on his maps, noting what needed to be done to get them to work. When asked if it was OK to post them on his threads since files could not be sent PM, he replied Great. Sure.

They can be deleted if this becomes offensive to anyone.

There is an RTF file explaining what was done.
Attachments
Pampas.7z
(572.03 KiB) Downloaded 666 times
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....