New map - Southern Ontario Deluxe

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
RDubs

New map - Southern Ontario Deluxe

Post by RDubs » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi folks

Here's a map I've been working on the last month or so - it owes a great debt to d53642's Southern Ontario map, which I used and modified. Thanks also to stormfather for the Military Fort that I repurposed here as a Canadian Forces Base.

And in general, thanks to all of you who have posted tips and tricks here in the forum - it's my first map so I had to learn pretty much everything the hard way!

I hope it runs smoothly and I look forward to any suggestions you might have; my SMR is the Mac app, though I did test some earlier versions on the Steam PC game.

Cheers!
Attachments
Southern Ontario Deluxe.zip
(3.79 MiB) Downloaded 1000 times

MasteRyder

Re: New map - Southern Ontario Deluxe

Post by MasteRyder » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 pm

First, tough map but very nice. Second, a small problem. A requirement to complete the scenario is to build a winery in Niagara Falls. But, there is NO option to build one! Winery is not one of the option on the build menu. Spent a lot of time to get to that point and now I can't complete. Help??? :o

RDubs

Post by RDubs » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Glad you liked it, but sorry to hear the build isn't available. Hm... I just checked it on mine and it was visible. When you try to build something can you see 12 options? For me it was on the very top right, right above the Refinery. Has anyone else run into this issue at all?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:45 pm

I just loaded it and did not see it either.

This is a common problem when you have more than 12 In City Industries, some people can see them, some cannot. There is a reason, I found it a few years ago, but cannot remember it now. BUT, there is a solution!!!

Since you have 14 In City Industries, you need to find 2 that a player does not need to build. In the listing for those 2, add this line:

<bInCity>0</bInCity>

Doing this will tell the game that it cannot make them available for building in any city. This way the same 12 will show for all players. Maybe the Canadian Forces Base and the Railyard? For those 2 you will need to change the <bInCity>1</bInCity> line to <bInCity>0</bInCity> .
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

RDubs

Post by RDubs » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:52 pm

Ah I see. Thanks - this should fix it.

I 0'd the tag for the railyard successfully although when I tried it on the Forces Base it seemed to disable the <fScale> tag; the model was 3 times its usual size and wouldn't scale down. So I 0'd the build newspaper option instead, as it's not needed for completion of the scenario.
Attachments
Southern Ontario Deluxe 26oct.zip
(3.79 MiB) Downloaded 868 times

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:55 pm

NAWWWW, this well built game do something like that!!! :o Your dern straight it would!! :twisted:

Something else with that particular Industry, you forgot the m1_abram.dds, hence the purple tanks. Attached is the BB for the Fort, so you can pull the file from there and add it to your Assets.

Nice looking map!

MasteRyder, if you, or anyone else, download and run the newer version, watch a bit more carefully for such little things. If nothing else is found, and with RDubs OK, I'll work this into a SAM and post it here and on Bobby's forum.

RDubs, if you want to work on more maps and have more BBs to work with, slide on over to http://www.sidmeiersrailroads.net/portal.php . About 900 BBs to play with and over 130 maps to look over. And if you are into Canadian Railroads, you can build your own Engines and Railcars with available Construction Kits.
Attachments
BB_Military_Fort.7z
(740.83 KiB) Downloaded 866 times

RDubs

Post by RDubs » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:51 pm

That's great - thanks snoopy55. The tanks are looking noticeably more tank-like already!

I've fixed up some newspaper punctuation oddities as well just now, but there's one other bug I haven't been able to figure out: simply by connecting to Trenton to the network with a depot, it automatically grows the town and achieves a scenario goal. Annoying! I played around with the target tag in the scenario.xml and with the cities.xml but couldn't figure it out - anybody know a fix for this?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:46 pm

Well, after 2 hours I found the problem..... Let me print the words I used when I founds it....

"Na! Na! ... Dat, Dat! Un-Uh!"

And I ain't kidding!!!

Copy the Condition for the Growth, delete it from where it is and make it the first Condition for that Era. It will then work.

AND, it gets even weirder than that!!! I remembered that you also had a North Bay growth in the middle of that Era. I ran a track up to there and added a Depot, and guess what? No Problem!!

I cannot tell you the 'WHY' of it, just the way to fix it.

I said it before and I'll say it again.....

NAWWWW, this well built game do something like that!!! :o Your dern straight it would!! :twisted:

If you stick the attached XML in your map it will give you $50 million using 'Map Test Mode' for testing things quickly. Just make sure you remove it before you zip the map.
Attachments
RRT_Difficulty.7z
(597 Bytes) Downloaded 840 times

RDubs

Post by RDubs » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:54 pm

Hmm... I tried moving the condition to the first of the era as you suggested, but that particular trick didn't seem to do it for me. Maybe it's a Mac app thing, who knows...

Instead I tried just starting Trenton as a settlement instead of a village and that looks like it's doing the trick - considering it's right on the Grand Trunk line you need to build in E1 there's plenty of time to grow it before 1914.

Thanks again! Here's the latest version update with a few slight changes.
Attachments
Southern Ontario Deluxe 27oct.zip
(4.02 MiB) Downloaded 878 times

MasteRyder

Post by MasteRyder » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:48 am

Evening,

I downloaded both updates posted here and tried them both. I still don't see the availability of a winery to build so that the scenario can be completed. Am I missing something?

Thanks...

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:42 pm

I'll take the blame for that! :oops: I miscounted the In-City Industries, there are 15, not 14. The attached zip is the Industries XML and all 15 In-City industries have a <bInCity> line in them. 2 are 0, the rest are one.

RDubs - you'll need to decide which additional one you want to set as 0, change it and repost either the XML or the whole map for MasteRyder to test for you.
Attachments
rrt_industries_southern ontario deluxe.7z
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 852 times

RDubs

Post by RDubs » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:28 am

I changed the tag on the Forces Base now too, so hopefully this will free up another spot for the Winery.

Just unzip and then copy the xml into the directory and replace the old one, and it should work. Sorry for the snags MasteRyder, and thanks for being patient while we iron the kinks out.

Snoopy55 thanks again as well.
Attachments
rrt_industries_southern ontario deluxe.zip
(2.32 KiB) Downloaded 815 times

MasteRyder

Post by MasteRyder » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:15 pm

OK...Ran it with the last fix and it ran perfectly. I'd say this map is ready to ZIP into the final set. It's a tough one in the first ERA but if you set up correctly it can be done. Took me many tries to find the right routing but worth it. Nice map! :D

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:05 pm

No problem RDubs, it's what I do best!

Now, do the RRT_Goods.xml with full listings of the Goods used, rename it RRT_Goods.xml and rename it in the Scenario XML and you'll have a SAM version.

A full descriotion can be found here: viewtopic.php?p=51000#p51000

RDubs

Post by RDubs » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:18 am

Excellent! How's this look? Worked fine when I tested it.
Attachments
Southern Ontario Deluxe SAM.zip
(4.02 MiB) Downloaded 988 times