New map - Southern Ontario Deluxe

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
MasteRyder

Re: New map - Southern Ontario Deluxe

Post by MasteRyder » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:04 pm

Something bizarre. The supply and demand menu when you add a train shows nothing needed or supplied when I tried it. Never seen this before. Anyone else seeing this???

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:01 am

I'm guessing since you played maps before that you know what you are looking for. There are two times to see these, holding your pointer on the dot for the City or Out-of-Town Industry, and clicking on the City or Out-of-Town Industry.
The first over a City gets you a box reading 'Click to add depot to route', and the city Icon and name, along with the Supplies, Demands and Converts, along with the Icons involved. The Out-of-Town Industry gets you a box reading 'Click to add depot to route' with a Good Icon, the name of the Out-of-Town Industry along with 'Supplies', a number and a TrainCar Icon.
Pointer on the City.jpg
Pointer on the City.jpg (46.56 KiB) Viewed 19857 times
The second gets you a box with the name, the Train with max speed, a choice of Cars to add and a Delete and Close button at the bottom.
Adding the Car.jpg
Adding the Car.jpg (45.56 KiB) Viewed 19857 times
As you can see, I'm having no problems with this.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

MasteRyder

Post by MasteRyder » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:43 pm

I do understand that part but I'm getting something different. I've downloaded the new file several times and re-installed it. Same results. I just noticed also that my goods menu has all zeroes for the value of the goods. Using the October 27th version there are values. I can't explain any of this. I used the October 27th version minus the difficulty.xml and plus the undustrys.xml zipped it up and installed it using the map shifter and everything worked perfectly. As I said, I can't explain any of this...

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:28 am

My apologies, I saw you post as the last and did not see his last map post, so I did not get that version. The RRT_Goods XML is not correct. And I have never seen this before. Interesting tho.

RDubs- the 'full listing' would need to be copied from the \Sid Meier's Railroads!\Assets\XML in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder. (you have to find the full Address on your system) as the RRT_Goods.xml, pasted into your map and any Goods you do not have in your map removed.

Now, I have edited and attached the needed file below, but you really need to try it yourself RDubs to be sure you know how to do it.

MasteRyder - replace the RRT_Goods.xml with the one in the download below and let us know how it goes.
Attachments
RRT_Goods.7z
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 752 times

MasteRyder

Post by MasteRyder » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:53 pm

OK! Thanks snoopy55. Everything is where it should be now. Thought for a while there I was going even crazier! :lol:

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:57 pm

Hey, I thought your system was gone with the wind! I cannot recall ever having heard of that in 8 years, then when I ran his upload and saw it..... I thought I was loosing my mind! But, as usual, simple answer to weird problem.

Let us know how the map plays out now and if anything else needs doing to it, then, with RDubs permission, I'll post it over on Bobby's site.

RDubs

Post by RDubs » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:29 am

Ah, sorry, I now see what was meant by the full listing. Thank you for attending to that snoopy55, and I'm glad it's now working for you MasteRyder.

Permission given! If you'd like to send it along, please do. Cheers fellas!

railage

Post by railage » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:48 pm

RDubs, I noticed that you worked on this map. I tried downloading the version you posted on Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:18 am.

I noticed that there is no event file. This will cause a crash occasionally. I edited one to include all the right Goods used in this map with no extras. I used the US events when applicable. It's a global file so all that's needed is placing it in the map folder.
RRT_Events.zip
(3.3 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
PS. What difficulty level did you test/play at?

railage

Post by railage » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:50 am

As I asked before, I am curious as to the difficulty that this was tested at. As others have mentioned the first era is a real crunch, especially on Robber Baron. Risk your sanity kind of stuff.

I did manage it starting in Buffalo, but used some questionable tactics, namely, artificially filling the trains for those first era hauls. Normally, partial loads are part of the game, but here I purposely turned the trains immediately back to the station to load up partials such as 0.04 or so. I didn't see a possibility to make the hauls AND earn enough to hit the ownership target.

I hit the patents, Swift's Car; Malleable Rails; McCoy's Lubricator, all during the first era. If this isn't the best combination possible, it must be close. None of the Events that appeared during this time helped me.

I had to push company growth so much to make the first era, combined with using patents which I prefer not to do normally, that profits were soaring during the second era. Playing in a much more relaxed manner, I had no difficultly completing the rest of the tasks just before the end of the second era.

I don't want to seem like I'm complaining about the map just saying that perhaps the first era needs a little more time. 5 years would make a big difference.

This is a very nice map. I like the story behind the victory conditions. I also like the topography of the map. At first glance, it looks fairly flat, but it's quite diverse providing lots of subtlety to get the cheapest fills/cuts. And, yes, it was enjoyable even like this. :)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:01 am

railage - Post a copy of the map as you now have it with the previous changes and the edited Events XML you have. This thread contains 10 zips of the map and corrections. We can post it for testing on Bobby's site and see if we can get it posted on both forums.

railage

Post by railage » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:29 am

Snoopy, RDubs the creator was the one with MAC troubles in a few days ago. Let's see if he/she has anything to say regarding difficulty. I'm really curious about the expected style of play.

Maybe he/she is a legendary player 8), who knows? Although, I see a disparity between the difficulties of the different eras. I'm not going to make any changes to gameplay myself. I will wait a week or two. If I get no response, I will post it as permission was given long ago.

RDubs

Post by RDubs » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:20 pm

Hey fellas! Sorry I missed the discussion here!

Sorry to hear the first era crunched you that bad; it's definitely the choke-point of a scenario that I did intend to be challenging but I'll confess I've never been able to beat it on Robber Baron. So "legendary" isn't quite the description I'd use. 8)

Because the particular years chosen have historical weight, I'd be more inclined to lessen/alter the requirements so that the first era's achievable on higher difficulties, if there's consensus that this would improve the scenario.

Thanks for giving the map this consideration, and I'm glad you still enjoyed it!