Westeros_SAM

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
voooldo

Westeros_SAM

Post by voooldo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:43 pm

EDIT: well, studied the script a little and made it. Hope you enjoy!

(the map is attached)

As a big fan of A Song of Ice and Fire, I want to create a Westeros Map... But I know jack about scpriting... So I'd like to know if I creat the map someone would help me with the objectives and stuff.

If you are interested, add me on Facebook and we could talk about it.

http://www.facebook.com/voooldo

PS: sorry about my poor English, I'm from Brazil and it isn't my native language.
Attachments
UserMaps.rar
(325.96 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
Last edited by voooldo on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

karsten

Re: Westeros (GoT)

Post by karsten » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Well you could run Jancsika's Middle Earth map (and the New Sosaria map by CalmDragon) and see whether you can envisage something similar (or better!) for Westeros.

I have some difficulty seeing the "magic" of steam engines and rails in the Song of Ice and Fire environment, but probably I am wrong :D

voooldo

Post by voooldo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:26 pm

The map is done... I will make a bigger version of the map later...

And I get it... Trains don't exactly match with Westeros/Essos, but I have some ideas for objectives that can be fun, for instance:

Connect Oldtown, Casterly Rock and King's Landing
Deliver 10 carloads of food from Oldtown to King's Landing
Deliver 10 carloads of gold from Casterly Rock to King's Landing
- Second Era
Connect the South with the North (railroad from Sunspear to Winterfell)
Deliver 10 carloads of passengers to Winterfell
Help The Twins grow into a City
-Third Era
Deliver supplies to the Wall to fuel the defense
Deliver 100 carloads of food around the seven kingdoms to prepare for winter
Build the Kingsroad: connect Winterfell, Riverrun, The Eyrie, King's Landing, Casterly Rock, Lannisport, Highgarden, Oldtown and Storm's End

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:53 pm

I think it would be important to invest time into creating a good scenery environment for this.

voooldo

Post by voooldo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:09 pm

hey karsten, the map is completed.

I'd really appreciate you opinion.

By the way, anybody know how to edit the icons? I'd like to change the arm icon.

snoopy55

Re: Westeros_SAM

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Read you PMs.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

karsten

Post by karsten » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:26 pm

That is a lot of progress in short time! But it could be better:

Have you tested the feasibility of the map yourself? I started out in the south and could not complete the first era on easy Investor level. OK, maybe I was not focussed, but still.. :?

There is no map-specific events file, that will lead to crashes sooner or later. :cry:

It would be great to have more "Fire and Ice" atmosphere. You could tell the story with pictures and text in the newspaper reports and the events (eg why have North and South joined with a picture of 19th century US railroad workers? Try to get some epic Westeros pictures. Might run into copyright concerns, I guess) Tmiller has done some great stuff picture stuff recently, so has slider38, check out their work. :D Or look at the carvings in the "Uganda" map.

voooldo

Post by voooldo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:26 pm

thanks for the tips, karsten... but as I said, this is a "test version" of Westeros... I want to make a 15x15 map, add a lot of custom content (icons, pictures, etc) and I will try to recreate the atmosphere as you suggested.

but regarding the missions, you are right, it is really hard (maybe even impossible) and I will fix it as soon as I can... maybe after the hollydays...

and thanks again for your attention.

karsten

Post by karsten » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:26 pm

OK, hope you find the time to get back to the map. :D

I restarted, and with more focus, I finished most of the goals - but I do think that the start is perhaps too difficult for the average player even on Investor level.

Some of the coal mines are submerged in water and unreachable. There are no cattle on the map (screenshots). There is a problem with the town growth condition, it triggers after two, instead of three successful towns. This problem was discussed and solved in another map thread some months back.

In the end, I managed most goals. I did not manage the 50 million goal because in the XML you ask for 500 million :shock: I would drop this goal, its just boring to wait for some net worth to accumulate at the end.

Because some coal mines are unreachable, I did not bother with the weapons goal either.

Lastly, there are far too many train engines. Drop at least half, so that a new engine actually means progress!

Good luck, and a good effort to get interesting scenery. :D
Attachments
Where are the cattle.jpg
Westeros Submerged coal mine.jpg
Westeros More Submerged coal mine.jpg
Westeros Goals.jpg
Westeros Routes.jpg