Revised Map - JAPAN3

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
TMILLER

Revised Map - JAPAN3

Post by TMILLER » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:21 pm

Attached is a revised map of Japan. I have modified the map as per comments made by Karsten and Lowell. I have reduced the number of locomotives in the game to 8, and selected locomotives that look more like standard Japanese locomotives based on research I did on the web. I have re-skinned some of the locomotives; and set their performance parameters of speed and power to give a nice progression from Mikado to Shinkansen. I also have renamed most of the locomotives with Japanese designations. I have added more historical and cultural context on Japan in event announcements. I have added more trees and raised the height of mountains to make track laying more challenging. I have also added a Readme file to the Japan3 folder containing historical background and guidance for playing the map.

I offer the following description of the map for Warll (taken largely from my first submittal) if he chooses to post it on the map database:
Attached is a new map of Central and Western Japan. It is a 15x15 map and includes 3 of the 4 main Japanese islands of Kyushu, Shikoku, and Honshu. I have rescaled the map in a westerly direction to give more space for game play. It covers the post-war period after 1945 and requires developing an economy based on the import of raw materials from shipping ports, delivery to industries, and export of goods back to the ports. I have reskinned some new cars, locomotives, and industries including rice, shushi, tourists, container cars, export goods, and Yuzu citrus. I have used Rodea's roll sheet steel car (which is cool), his SW1200 loco, and his shipping ports from the West Sumatera map. I have also used cars and industries from Jancsika's Maryland map, and Lowell’s oil tanker. Inspired by Slider38's My Old Kentucky Home map, I have added traditional Japanese music to the game. I believe it is a challenging map for experienced players. It is designed to be played with AI’s that must be acquired. I have completed all victory objectives at the Mogul level with 3 AIs 10 years early, so all objectives can be accomplished. On my computer it is stable, doesn’t crash and replays saved games OK.

The map is attached in 5 parts. Download this first part. Unzip it with 7zip and place the Japan3 folder in your empty SMR "UserMaps" folder. Follow instructions for Parts 2-5 in the following posts. Try It and I hope you have Fun. - TMiller
Attachments
Japan3.7z
Unzip with 7zip. Place in UserMaps folder.
(5.11 MiB) Downloaded 586 times

Warll

Re: Revised Map - JAPAN3

Post by Warll » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:49 pm

I am looking forward to adding this map to the database. I just need an independent player to confirm that this version is crash free.

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:03 am

I really would like to add this map, has anyone played this most recent version? I only need a quick yes/no.

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:52 am

I went through all the goals, no problems. I did not make the gold delivery, but that was because I bought out a gold-producing competitor too late. :(

I think you could shift the highlighted "confirmation goals" to the second or even a mini-third era. They are fulfilled automatically and this would focus the first era on the important goals, which would help giving IT more structure. I think it is a nice idea to have such "confirmation goals" to tell the player that some route has been initiated successfully, but the text should also put that info into the headline, eg "FIRST PREMIUM SUSHI DELIVERED IN TOP TOURIST RESORT".

The historical context in the txt file is nice, but I doubt that many people are going to read it. Rather weave the info into some of the goal descriptions. You have several ll-typos in cellebrate.
Attachments
Japan Goals.jpg
Japan Routes.jpg
Tokyo Waterfront.jpg
Shopping in Tokyo.jpg
Shikansen to Kyoto.jpg

TMILLER

Post by TMILLER » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:57 pm

Karsten, Thanks for trying Japan3. I like your idea of moving the confirmatory goals to the bottom of the list to get it out of the way. I just use them to get the newspaper events to display information I want the player to see. All the changes you suggested involve the scenario file, so I made all the changes you suggested in a revised scenario file and am attaching it here. If Warll decides to post the game I hope he will substitute the scenario file posted here for the one in the previous Japan3 submittal.
Thanks again,
TMiller
Attachments
RRT_Scenario_User_Japan3.7z
Unzip with 7zip and substitute this scenario file for the one in the original Japan3 submittal.
(5.44 KiB) Downloaded 421 times

Cabo

Post by Cabo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:49 am

I finished the map with no crash, all I cluelessness with some goods and not get some goals.
A great job.
A greeting.
Attachments
1.3+ GB memory used RailRodas.exe in this moment
1.3+ GB memory used RailRodas.exe in this moment
(google translator)

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:52 am

Yes, the gold and the speed record evaded me as well initially. I solved the speed record with brute force (see pictures) with the Shinkansen maxing out at 320 kmh.
I am now trying for the gold with the newly posted version. :D
Attachments
Shinkansen maxing out at 320 kmh.jpg
Outfoxing the speed record by brute force.jpg

Warll

Post by Warll » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Thank you tmiller, karsten, and cabo! I've post the map to the front page.

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Fine, the new version works beautifully, I got through all the goals this time, even the pesky speed record. Minor issues: The sushi headline is not quite right, and I think there need to be four hotels, not three. But that will have to wait for another day.

The structure of the main map goals is now much clearer, and that helps to focus on the more difficult achievements. All in all a very accomplished map into which a lot of thought and work has gone.

Oh, and I do like the music! Did I say great map? :P
Attachments
Delightful scenery 01.jpg
Sushi headline.jpg
JP Mission completed.jpg