NEW MAP: New York Central & The Erie

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
chrislewek

NEW MAP: New York Central & The Erie

Post by chrislewek » Wed May 30, 2012 12:04 am

Hello All!

I've been working on this map for a while now and just recently completed it on Investor level.. Please help me test it out and please report any crashes.
Thank you!
Attachments
NYC.zip
(715.07 KiB) Downloaded 531 times

chrislewek

More Info

Post by chrislewek » Thu May 31, 2012 10:05 pm

I tried to keep this scenario as historically accurate as possible. Unfortunately I had to omit Batavia and Attica from the map even though they were both towns on the original line between Buffalo and Albany. Most lines, with the exception of certain industry spurs, will be actual NYC & Erie.
You'll even see the Lehigh Valley and the DL&W make a guest appearance.

Hope you enjoy!
Please offer any suggestions that may improve the map as this is my 1st.

Thanks Much
Chris Lewek

karsten

Re: NEW MAP: New York Central & The Erie

Post by karsten » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:33 pm

A massive challenge! Starting quite innocently, the scenario sneaks up behind you with overwhelming complexity.
chrislewek wrote:I've been working on this map for a while now and just recently completed it on Investor level..
Did you complete the version you posted here? I have not managed to complete the "New York" era so far, because the production facilities for wine and beer are just too expensive early in the game.

I note that there is no random event file. This would crash the map only rarely, since you have included most of the goods for which the generic events file has entries. :) But such a crash would still be annoying. :cry:

What I miss
- The scenery can be called functional, at best. It seems to be based on DEM data to some extent, which is great. But painting most of the area with dead leaf underground without trees is a bit unambitious. I know some people don't like "clutter", but really, a few trees here and there, rocky mountain cliffs, more natural-looking rivers, green juicy meadows would add so much atmosphere.

- The background story/history is only hinted at, if at all. Since you say the scenario is as historically accurate as possible, you must know quite a lot about why these RR were built, what was special about them etc. It would be nice to learn more about that by way of the scenario.

If there is a way to complete the posted version of the map, I would say "Very good first effort. Congratulations!"

chrislewek

Post by chrislewek » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:56 am

Thank you for the tips.

At the time of my original posting I had just completed the game on Investor Level. Last night I completed it on the Mogul level.

I do agree with you that the production facilities are slightly expensive. (Breweries, Wineries,
Steel Mill & War Factory)
They will be lowered as needed.

I am not too familiar with the random event file that you are referring to, although I'm sure you can point me in the right direction.

In regards to the scenery, I know it's not the greatest thing to look at in it's present state. 95% of the elevation and coastlines are based on DEM data. The cosmetics were always the final priority when it came to this map. It will be adjusted for the final version.
Trees are soon to come too. :D

As far as the background story... I would love to know how to customize most aspects of the game (i.e. Newspaper photos, or custom production facilities)
That way I would be able to explain more history on the Central and the Erie.

Thank you so much for your kind advice.
I look forward to talking to you in the future.

Chris Lewek

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi Chris,
I started a new game - with a safe event file to avoid the occasional crash. I concentrated on making as much money as possible early on and that is the key. I also got low maintenance fairly early. So I managed to scrape through, just, on investor level. :P
Kudos to you for finishing at Mogul level! 8) What's the limit?

I do think you need to provide the success newspapers for the achievement of goals. That would provide a ton of atmosphere and background, and give immediate feedback when a goal is completed. You can check out the Utah map to see how it is done.

Your train car file is full of cars you don't use, but heck, it don't seem to do no harm.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: VERY impressive map for a premiere 8)
Attachments
Train Cars NYC.jpg
WIN 22 Yrs early NYC.jpg
See no trees NYC.jpg
Routes NYC.jpg
New York New York NYC.jpg
Event file replaced.jpg

CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:36 am

Very fun map to play! Challenging in the way that if the city demands the same resource that your built industry wants, it splits with your industry and lowers your output of the next good. Economy was fun to play with, though the AI started right across the river from me so competition was on from the start. Utica and Rome. Think the only objective I completed was buying my own stock. Will have to play this again and again to get the feel for the eras. Like Karsten said, the lack of trees was disturbing, the rest of the map looked great. So many city sizes, must have taken forever to build!
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:22 pm

This is the safe Random Event file, which does not crash. You can refer to it in the scenario as shown in the screenshot above. :D
Attachments
RRT_Events_NYC.zip
(220 Bytes) Downloaded 932 times

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:45 am

karsten wrote: 8) What's the limit?
I thought Mogul was the definitive limit - but this weekend I broke through the Tycoon barrier! I needed some luck though, I got the cheap rails patent early, rich passengers somewhat later. And I waited to connect to Rochester until I got a very helpful early delivery. There were some very tough spots in the middle map eras, but it all worked out in the end.

Made some improvements to my earlier routes to max out production. Clockwork operation with more than 50 trains -whew!
Attachments
Rochester 100$.jpg
Tourists and Food for Lake George.jpg
Wine being served.jpg
Delivering the goods.jpg
1945 Early Win Tycoon Patents.jpg
1945 Early Win Tycoon Map.jpg
1945 Early Win Tycoon.jpg

chrislewek

Post by chrislewek » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:57 pm

Excellent!
I have been working on the cosmetics and the sceneario, with just some more tweaking to go.
I will keep you updated!