New Map: Gone With the Wind

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
TMILLER

New Map: Gone With the Wind

Post by TMILLER » Sun May 27, 2012 3:57 pm

GONE WITH THE WIND. Attached is a new map of the southern US covering the period 1830 to 1866 before the Civil War. It is a small 10x10 map, but uses exclusively early steam locomotives which cannot pull many cars long distances. There are rich markets in all regions of the map, so the starting point is not of great importance. It is intended to be played with 3 AIs with the goal of meeting all the victory objectives. I have played the game many times, met all objectives at Mogul level. It is stable and runs on my system without crashes. I have borrowed cars, annexes and industries from Slider38's My Old Ky Home map and Bobby Jancsika's Maryland and Zimbabwe maps. I have reskinned a some cars and industries. I hope you are not offended by transporting slaves, tobacco, muskets, and rebel recruits. The economy is roughly that of the Old South. I have played all the maps on this website and I think you will find this map challenging without being impossible. I hope some of you will try it. P.S. File exceeded 7 Mb and did not load. See Gone With the Wind Part 1 & 2 for map file in 2 Parts.

Warll

Re: New Map: Gone With the Wind

Post by Warll » Tue May 29, 2012 11:01 pm

Congradulations Tmiller it looks nice and sounds like an interesting scanario. I've uploaded a combined zip of the map here: http://smrsimple.com/maps/Gone_With_The_Wind_v1.zip

If anyone else can report back that they could play through without a crash please do. I can then post Gone With the Wind to the front page.

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed May 30, 2012 10:49 pm

Indeed, I played through the scenario without any hitch. A lot of work went into creating the historical background, and the scenario has some traps for the unwary. The end was fast and furious, and I only just managed to finish in time.
It is great to have such an innovative, yet thoroughly tested map. Well done! :D
Attachments
Victory GWTW.jpg
Routing.jpg
Richmond.jpg

Warll

Post by Warll » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:22 pm

Perfect, I've posted Gone With the Wind to the homepage.

CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:33 pm

Found my disk to the game the other day and started playing through the various maps. Fun had. Then I came here looking for more. This map is awesome. I am still confused by the econmy and my first full playthrough may have done only two of the objectives correctly. Way too many recurits generated the way I played it, ended with one train making a losing run until I changed it to run between two army bases. Thank you for making this map!
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200

TMILLER

Post by TMILLER » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks to Karsten, Warll and CalmDragon for the nice comments on my GWTW map. I have played SMR for years and downloaded and played most all the maps on this web site. Now I am having fun making new maps. I am currently working on a map of the post Civil War Southern US and a post World War II map of Japan. I will post these as soon as they are completed. Thanks for all the work Warll, Karsten and others have done to make this a great web site for SMR fans. - Best Regards, TMiller