Hawaii Map SAM

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
sjekazoo

Hawaii Map SAM

Post by sjekazoo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Hello,
There used to be a Hawaii map I liked to play. Since you went to the SAM maps I cannot find it anywhere. I think it was under maps in development.

I have it downloaded and I've tried to make a SAM version of it but it just doesn't work. It required a certain train to be installed, so I added that to the SAM, and it also requires the Basin and Range to be installed.

Running B&R install first and then my SAM version of Hawaii, doesn't seem to work. Also including all the B&R files in the Hawaii SAM also doesn't work.

I think the B&R install must do things that get undone by the Hawaii only SAM I put together, and some set-up stuff for B&R doesn't get crunched through in the combined SAM.

I can manually dump files around and it seems to work, but a lot of hassel to switch as opposed to the Map Shifter.

Any ideas? Any chance of someone doing an official SAM of that map? Or maybe I can post my SAM version if we get it unbugged, but I don't remember who to give credit to for the actual map.

Thanks

karsten

Re: Hawaii Map SAM

Post by karsten » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:37 pm

If you post it, I can have a look at it, but no promises, some bugged maps are awfully tedious to fix. :mrgreen:

sjekazoo

Post by sjekazoo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:09 am

So, I'm trying to attach the file but it won't go. Internet is really slow down here in South America where I'm at.

Can I assume you already have, or can access the Basin and Range install, and the GP7, from the database here and just send the Hawaii install file?

For now I'll assume the answer is yes and just see if it lets me attach the original Hawaii install. If not I'll give it to you on the installment plan.

Thanks for taking a look at this. Basically the map runs fine after running through the three seperate installs, but you have to go through that every time to play it. It's just getting it to act like a SAM that I'm havin
g trouble with

Thanks for your trouble,
Skeeter
Attachments
Setup_Hawaii_1.0a.zip
Hawaii install needs GP7 and Basin and Range installed first.
(304.89 KiB) Downloaded 436 times

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:47 am

Skeeter,
since you already have the three components and know how they need to be installed, please do an install that works into your usermaps again. Then zip up the working set of files in your usermaps and post it here for download.
Regards, Karsten :D

sjekazoo

Post by sjekazoo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:06 pm

I'll try but whereas the Hawaii install is less than 1MB, the total in the SAM wannabe folder is like over 40MB apparently the B&R set of files is huge. I waited an hour last time I tried it and it still wouldn't upload.

Any ideas on how to reduce the size beyond standard compressed folders, or to get a file of that size to upload quicker on a slow connection?

Maybe it will go quicker today while fewer people in Paraguay are online, out doing Easter things.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:09 pm

@Karstan: The exe is a self-extracting zip. Its the style of map packaging we used before SAMs.

I've attached the contents but the exe should be safe.

@sjekazoo: The forum can ony handle uploads up to 7MB, I suggest uploading it to http://www.mediafire.com/

sjekazoo

Post by sjekazoo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Turns out it is .99GB, the SDSTrainCars0.fpk alone is 10MB and the SDSTrains0.fpk is 23MB. So that 7MB limit is the uploading problem.

Something isn't right here. The original zipped installed files for the 3 parts total about 28MB. My zipped custom maps after install comes out to .99GB. The original files must have the best compression I've ever seen or someone replaced my file compressor with a file expander. LOL

That 1GB is going to not work with my connection speed, where ever I upload it, so first, let me actually take a look at some of the SAM's and the content they put into custom maps and compare that to the install. I probably don't have the knowledge to fix the SAM, but might be able to get rid of stuff that B&R uses that isn't needed by Hawaii.

Also is it possible the installs are putting files somewhere besides the custom maps folder and therefore not getting into my attempted SAM folder? I could easily find them and thus fix my problem if I knew how to identify them.

sjekazoo

Post by sjekazoo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:48 pm

By the way, please and thank you. I tend to be a very down to business kind of guy. Sometimes I forget to slow down for the pleasantries and polity of life, but that is my ongoing mod project. :oops:

sjekazoo

Post by sjekazoo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Hey guess what, I solved the problem. I know, I can hardly believe it myself.

I reran everything and rezipped it and found the total file size was like 44MB, so clearly the original zip was corrupt, but the new one still didn't work after using Map Shifter to move it into a reset file structure.

The zip comes from the Custom Assets Directory and Map Shifter puts it all in UserMaps, so first I tried moving it to the original directory and nothing.

I had it all zipped into a single subdirectory called B&R&HI, and moved all the contents to the root User Map directory and it started working fine. Not sure if it was being in a subdirector or maybe not liking the directory name, but I fixed my zip accordingly. It runs fine now as a SAM.

Now the only thing is, that is a two map SAM, and B&R is huge, which is why I'm guessing it's not a SAM but still an Install file. My guess is Hawaii only needs a portion of that size to make it its own stand alone SAM.

I also found the original source of the Hawaii file, a user named Choo Choo. It is found in the Maps Under Development thread, here: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1482&hilit=hawaii

Thanks all for your help and input, even though it seems I just needed the right encouragment, which I also thank you for.

Maybe someday I'll weed out all the B&R content that is not used by Hawaii and post it for the custom maps. If someone beats me to the punch I won't be bothered, as long as they let me know. Maybe I'll even add some of my own victory conditions, since it is a fairly easy last-man standing map.

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:28 am

sjekazoo wrote:Maybe someday I'll weed out all the B&R content that is not used by Hawaii and post it for the custom maps. If someone beats me to the punch I won't be bothered, as long as they let me know. Maybe I'll even add some of my own victory conditions, since it is a fairly easy last-man standing map.
Sounds like an excellent idea to me, since you have already invested a lot of time into analysing this map. :D