Western Russia

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Recoup

Re: Western Russia

Post by Recoup » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Hmmm, it still crashes? I haven't played with AI's yet so I am not sure how that would unfold. Maybe I should give it a shot and see where the problem is.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? I've already begun modifications to the town sizes and have about 10 different sizes of growth to keep things manageable. Demands also change slowly with growth. I think it'll be great. :)

EDIT: Played with three AI's, but didn't notice any crashing. One of the AI's didn't really seem to know what to do, either - just sat in Moscow, dumbfounded. However the game will be primarily objective-based, and soon the only start locations will be either Moscow or St. Petersburg.

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:27 pm

I did not have any problems running with 3AI. Runs smoothly, no crashes and by 1898 I had bought up 2AI already and was starting to battle Vanderbilt, the most savvy of the three.... and a few moments later, he was history too. :lol:
I was using the new version 1.0, of course, which does not seem to need any tricks to run safely with 3 AI. :P
Attachments
WesternRussia 1_0 with 3 AI.jpg
WesternRussia 1_0 with won.jpg

Recoup

Post by Recoup » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm

And so, the gameplay changes have been made!

I made things grow at a much, much slower pace than before - the village of Tolyatti didn't exceed 'Large Village' status until after 80 years of shipments. Likewise, Kazan and Samara grew much slower than before and so I feel like I've struck a good balance between city size and raking in huge profits. Here, everyone, is version 1.1 with the size changes and a few industry movements. Let me know how she goes!

See first post for WesternRussia_1.1.zip.

EDIT: I am curious about something - I am now working on the game's scenarios and I want the starting locations to only be in St. Petersburg and Moscow, since that makes the most sense. However sometimes the game throws me into places all over the map. Does anyone have any remedies to this problem?

Also, when I tell the game I want the player to own a certain industry in a certain city, it lists the industry but it says "Any City" even though I specified in the .XML file to be in a specific city. When it says:

<szCityLocation>NAME</szCityLocation>

I simply write the name of the city, right? Example:

Code: Select all

<Condition>
					<szType>OwnStuff</szType>
					<bRequired>1</bRequired>
					<OwnList>
						<OwnListItem>
							<szObjectType>Industry</szObjectType>
							<szObjectName>War Factory</szObjectName>
							<szCityLocation>SARATOV</szCityLocation>
						</OwnListItem>
					</OwnList>
					<szDescription>Build an Arms Factory in the city of Saratov to help supply our eastern cities with the necessary weapons they need!</szDescription>
					<szNewspaperTitleSuccess>Pravda</szNewspaperTitleSuccess>
					<szNewspaperHeadlineSuccess>THE ARMED EAST</szNewspaperHeadlineSuccess>
					<szNewspaperTextSuccess>Soviets create a new weapons plant in Saratov to supply our eastern commrades!</szNewspaperTextSuccess>
					<szNewspaperBitmapSuccess>event_buildstuff.dds</szNewspaperBitmapSuccess>
				</Condition>
Attachments
TolyattiVillage.jpg

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:20 pm

The spread out city sizes work very well, I just finished against the three AI in version 1.1, no problems, and the balance is better.
Every map needs to have four starting points. The way to solve the problem is to have a tiny village near both St. Petersburg and Moscow, so essentially you have only two starting points. :P

Call Saratov with:
<szCityLocation>TAG_CITY_NAME_SARATOV</szCityLocation>

I can already see the Sapsan high-speed connection St. Petersburg - Moscow - Nizhny Novgorod.
Perhaps Rodea could make his TGV Reseau 4524 available for the purpose (just a thought).
Attachments
Sapsan.jpg
Rodea TGV Reseau 4524.jpg

Recoup

Post by Recoup » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:57 pm

Ah! That's a good idea. But now that adds a new slew of problems...

I guess we should fix the Wiki article that talks about modifying XML files. It says to just list the city name. :) I'll modify it tonight!

Recoup

Post by Recoup » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:05 am

And it has arrived, gentlemen!

Version 2.0 of the Western Russian map is here, and this time with a fleshed-out scenario that spans several different eras and I, personally, find quite difficult to fulfill.

I tested a beta of this current setup, so I suppose in its present form I have not quite tried it out. However, I played a game on Mogul difficulty and had almost 0 trouble. I decided to remove a city, delete some plentiful industries, and make certain factories a build requirement rather than come equipped from the get-go (besides, some of these industries didn't exist until after the 1930s).

Have a gander, and try the scenario out! It is posted on the first post on the front page. :)
Attachments
RussiaTrain4.jpg

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:41 am

This is going to be a great map.
You had asked about starting cities...the game wants at least 4 for a minimum at game start.
Keep up the good work. Looks great! I love the slower growth rate for the cities too…makes the game last longer.
:D

P.S. Opps somehow I missed Karsten's post above...sorry. :oops:

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:52 pm

I agree with Lowell, lots of potential. I wonder whether some of the tasks (food to Moscow etc.) could be linked to some historical background, to make it more interesting.

I ran Version 2.0 of the Western Russian map to the end, smooth operation, no problems. Took out the single AI just before the finish.

If you check out the recent discussion with Lama on California, you will see why the Metropolis Condition will trigger rather sooner than you expect.
Attachments
Western Russia 1_2.jpg
Routes Western Russia 1_2.jpg
WIN Western Russia 1_2.jpg

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:01 pm

Recoup wrote:Hmmm, it still crashes? I haven't played with AI's yet so I am not sure how that would unfold. Maybe I should give it a shot and see where the problem is.
Yes still crashes when run first with AI's, maybe caused because I use windows 7 as my operating System..
If Karsten completed this map in 1898, I only have until 1894 to complete this map........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
check the picture on my post before
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:10 pm

karsten wrote: I can already see the Sapsan high-speed connection St. Petersburg - Moscow - Nizhny Novgorod.
Perhaps Rodea could make his TGV Reseau 4524 available for the purpose (just a thought).
Don't worry about it karsten....... :wink:
I will post TGV Reseau 4524 on this forum as soon as..... :D
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Recoup

Post by Recoup » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:33 pm

karsten wrote:I agree with Lowell, lots of potential. I wonder whether some of the tasks (food to Moscow etc.) could be linked to some historical background, to make it more interesting.

I ran Version 2.0 of the Western Russian map to the end, smooth operation, no problems. Took out the single AI just before the finish.

If you check out the recent discussion with Lama on California, you will see why the Metropolis Condition will trigger rather sooner than you expect.
I saw what you wrote about city triggers on the 4th level. And then you posted this:

Code: Select all

<Condition>
<szType>GrowCity</szType>
<bRequired>1</bRequired>
<GrowCityList>
<GrowCityListItem>
<szInitialSize>Village</szInitialSize>
<szTargetSize>Metropolis</szTargetSize>
<szCityTagName>ANY_CITY</szCityTagName>
<iGrowQuantity>4</iGrowQuantity>
</GrowCityListItem>
</GrowCityList>
Will this work, and if so how? Am I stuck with the 4th level being hard-coded into the game or is there a way around it?
Rodea2007 wrote:Yes still crashes when run first with AI's, maybe caused because I use windows 7 as my operating System..
If Karsten completed this map in 1898, I only have until 1894 to complete this map........
check the picture on my post before
I use Windows 7 64-bit and it hasn't crashed yet for me. I think everyone here has been able to run it so far - are you sure it's not the computer?

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:29 pm

We are probably stuck with the 4th level being hard-coded into the game :(

Well done, Rodea! And the TGV Reseau 4524 (with the long waggons!!) will be great. 8)

Recoup

Post by Recoup » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:07 pm

karsten wrote:We are probably stuck with the 4th level being hard-coded into the game :(

Well done, Rodea! And the TGV Reseau 4524 (with the long waggons!!) will be great. 8)
Well shucks, I guess I'll just have to write new objectives then...

Anyway, I wanted to eventually take it upon myself to create trains unique to the Russian era instead of just borrowing the German train set. I find the German locomotives to be rather boring, while the Soviet trains are sleek and gorgeous! Let's see if I can successfully do it...

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:47 pm

Well, that's a pretty epic set of objectives! However, currently only the first two eras can be played. What is missing is some newspaper text and a continuous set of eras - see attachments. :?
Attachments
Continuous eras needed, like so
Continuous eras needed, like so
Newspaper text missing here
Newspaper text missing here

Recoup

Post by Recoup » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:35 pm

I can play all the Eras. I had to set the "End Date" to 1985 since it defaulted to the end of the second Era. Does that work for you or are they still missing?