Four Corners Dual Map - Part 1

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Richardf269

Re: Four Corners Dual Map - Part 1

Post by Richardf269 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:18 am

Warll wrote:@Richardf269: This is a SAM map, use the latest combo version and unzip it into your usermaps folder.

@Trukntigger: Have you been able to test it with a retail install or only the retail exe on a steam install?
I just tried this. The game crashes to the desktop saying the program stopped working. No idea why it's doing this.

Trukntigger

Post by Trukntigger » Sun May 08, 2011 5:24 am

I been trying to do a search on the saved directory issue with the missing "!" still. Found a little tid-bit here, http://forums.stardock.com/325490

This issue has come up with the Stardock version as well and was corrected it seems. So temped to just try to find a retail version and enjoy this without the headache.
The worst question is the one that is never asked.

slider38

Post by slider38 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:55 pm

I'm sorry you'all are having trouble with the game. I've tested the new version 2 which allows you to select which mode you want to play from the Scenario Selection Screen and had no difficulty. Warll, I assume you've had no trouble or I'm sure I would have heard about it.

I have heard nothing but nightmare stories about the Steam version of this game. I'm not familiar with it. I guess my solution would be to visit Ebay or Amazon.com. You can get the original version for 5 or 6 bucks.

slider38

Post by slider38 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:00 pm

Hey Warll, Maybe it would be a good idea to get the AI and Solo versions out of the post and just leave the Combo version in place. There's really no need for anyone to download them separately. They just take up disk space.

Trukntigger

Post by Trukntigger » Sun May 08, 2011 4:03 pm

Agree seeing combo has updates and all in one ease of use.
Still tracking down a fix for steam side of this. Yea, started looking for a retail copy near home but no luck and may have to Amazon it or something.

slider38

Post by slider38 » Sun May 08, 2011 4:09 pm

Richardf269, You might check and make sure that there is nothing in your Custom Assets folder. Another option might be to try and restart with a fresh game start. You just go into the Sid Meier's Railroads folder in the My Games section of your My documents folder and rename the existing Sid Meier's Railroads! folder to something else. Then start Sid Meier's Railroads! and when you get to the opening screen, hit the exit button. You will now find that your My Games folder contains a new Sid Meier's Railroads! folder. Copy the Settings.ini file from your previous Railroads folder into the new one. Then open the Four Corners files into the Usermaps folder on this fresh start. It's worth a try. If it doesn't help you can always delete it.

Richardf269

Post by Richardf269 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Okay, so it seems that Railroads isn't agreeing with Windows 7. Just to let you know, I have a dual-boot with Windows 7, and Windows XP Pro. I tried your mod in both 7 and XP. Railroads apparently disagrees with 7 entirely. On any map I try to play in Windows 7, the game crashes after it finishes loading "Building Up Steam".

I have no idea why it is doing this with Windows 7.

I tried your mod with XP for a bit. A lot of your cities are very small, and have no businesses/people/mail to use with the trains, and it's pretty annoying. Though I do like that the cities aren't close together.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is the boxed version, seeing as I absolutely refuse to use that disgusting bloatware program named "Steam". The game runs fine in Windows XP. I've tried playing Railroads with Compatibility set to Windows XP, and run as Admin, but it still crashes on any map when it loads "Building Up Steam". Looks like Sid Meiers needs to fix the Windows 7 issue.

slider38

Post by slider38 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi Richardf269, Sorry if you found the number of villages a problem. As discussed in the Readme, the map was intended to be one requiring you to do some development. When the Solo map starts in 1850, none of the Four Corners area was part of a state - there was nothing out there. Perhaps I was trying to be too realistic, but I wanted to try something different from my last map.

You want plenty to do and lots of industry - give My Old Kentucky Home a try. Thanks for trying Four Corners. All feedback is appreciated.

I don't know if you tried the AI version, but it does have more industry in place than the Solo version - it starts in 1901.

Trukntigger

Post by Trukntigger » Tue May 10, 2011 12:47 am

Interesting, wonder if some of my issue would be resolved with dual boot. Will try a couple of compatibility efforts first. Still doing some digging on other issues. Will update if successful.

Trukntigger

Post by Trukntigger » Wed May 11, 2011 10:33 pm

Bummer, still can not get it to work. Tried the steam and the non steam exe in compatibility modes- nadda. Observations same as noted in prior post. Got to be something missing??

karsten

Post by karsten » Thu May 12, 2011 5:56 am

Once I had figured out which files go where (see screenshot), the Four Corners map runs flawlessly (I ran at Investor level). It is technically perfect CIC: Random event file - check, no .fpk files - check, loads effortlessly: check.

Where it could grow is in the scenery and gameplay departments.
  • The scenery is mostly irrelevant because cheap tunnels and bridges (which help the AI survive) allow one to slice through mountains effortlessly. A map that satisfies both solo and AI play will likely not shine in either context.
  • Gameplay is very straightforward - figure out how to produce A, B and C to supply X with D. A pioneer storyline relating to the history of Four Corners would be great and could build on the ton of user-created content that is included.
  • It would be great if model contributors could get a credit byline. For some the source is obvious, eg the Shay by wingsofphoenix, but for other stuff, it is hard to know who (including yourself) did the hard work of skinning or modelling.
Thanks for making this contribution - a good map for starting players to cut their teeth on. Looking for more! :D
Attachments
ScreenShot 00049.jpg
ScreenShot 00055.jpg
ScreenShot 00052.jpg
ScreenShot 00051.jpg
ScreenShot 00050.jpg

slider38

Post by slider38 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi Karsten, I spent a good deal of time on this map trying to improve my scenery after your comments concerning My Old Kentucky Home Map. In fact there is not a pixel on this map that did not have some form of added texture be it long grass, desert, trees or whatever. But this seems to be short of your scenery mark also. Please define for me what makes scenery "relevant". This is only the third map I've done and I'm learning, but this has me confused. Thanks for giving it a try. I did try to pick up the difficulty level in this one. Slider

slider38

Post by slider38 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Hey Karsten, I almost forgot. As to the source of the industries, engines, traincars, etc - I do no 3-D modeling. You are quite right about the shay- all I did was lighten it a little. In most cases I am taking either a standard model or someone elses and re-painting. I do all re-paints myself.

Most of the industries are either game standards I have changed or in some cases combined pieces of to create something new. In many cases I am alphaing out parts to create something new. Or using nifskope to remove a portion of a structure. Whatever I can think of to try and make something different, or give something a different look. In most cases I have found an image of an engine to use as a guide when re-painting. So inspiration comes from a lot of places.

Most of the more modern engines come from models created by snoopy55 or Bobby - but I suspect that there are other contributors I'm not even aware of. A lot of things can be found in the Building Block forums here: http://eric.bkbobby.com/index.php

karsten

Post by karsten » Fri May 13, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi Slider,
some excellent repaints there. :P
Sorry, I did not intend to complain about the scenery as such, I agree that its a good development since Old Kentucky Home Map. :D
What I mean, if you look at my screenshot of the map routes, you can see how I sometimes tunnelled directly through a mountain, even though with a real railroad, one would probably want to build around the mountain for cost reasons.
So, I think it might be helpful to have expensive tunnels to encourage more interesting, prototypic routing. Jancsika's maps, Universum's Utah, my AZCanyon all have those, for example.
But that approach is best for solo maps. If AIs get involved, they simply tunnel through regardless and rack up huge losses in the process. :shock:
Attachments
ScreenShot 00063.jpg
SMRailroads!0018.jpg
SMRailroads!0017.jpg
SMRailroads!0015.jpg
SMRailroads!0014.jpg

Trukntigger

Post by Trukntigger » Thu May 26, 2011 2:42 am

I finally gave up. Everything thing I try will not let this mod run. I even went as far as tweaking my own mod from the US n/w map and going from there. Even that crashes when I attempt to play it. Edit okay but wont load to play.

SO yep you guessed it. Had wife order me the official version in a box brand spanking new from Amazon. Could have shopped around but she already has account there and was cheap cheap. Did this Monday so just waiting for it to arrive and cross fingers that it solves my issues with several mods not working.

In other news or question more like I have a favor to ask or is it a request? Unsure, but my goal is to play multiplayer over web- US northwest map but updated with new resources and engines and cars. Wish to do this with/against my brother. With credit given and due can someone point me in the right direction on how to say use some of the features (resources/engines/cars here) in order to play it revamped?