Four Corners Dual Map - Part 1

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
slider38

Four Corners Dual Map - Part 1

Post by slider38 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:17 pm

Created By: Slider38
the_old_timer.jpg
the_old_timer.jpg (3.73 KiB) Viewed 13543 times
Howdy Partner, This here is the Four Corners Dual Map - a version to play against AI, and a Solo version for those with a pioneering spirit. It features an open pit copper mine, new trains, traincars, some new industry... Now a'fore you jump right into it, you be sure and read this Readme file so's to get off on the right foot. See ya in the Four Corners sonny!

Readme.Txt
Four Corners Readme.txt
(6.06 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
Four_Corners_Map.jpg
Attachments
FC_Audio_Files_Part_Two.7z
(4.77 MiB) Downloaded 380 times
FC_Audio_Files_Part_One.7z
(5.74 MiB) Downloaded 388 times

Warll

Re: Four Corners Dual Map - Part 1

Post by Warll » Sun May 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Thank you Slider for posting your map here. I'm sorry for the troubles the upload system caused you.

I've uploaded three versions of the map.

1. Four Corners AI: http://smrsimple.com/maps/FourCorners_v1_AI.zip //outdated use combo in next post
2. Four Corners Solo: http://smrsimple.com/maps/FourCorners_v1_Solo.zip //outdated use combo in next post
3. Four Corners Combo: http://smrsimple.com/maps/FourCorners_v1_Combo.zip //outdated use combo in next post

#3 includes an edited version of the scenario XMLs. If I did it right there should be both versions of the map selectable from in-game. Would it be possible for you to check over my edits?

I would like to use the combo version to post to the front page since it should be simpler for users if there is only one download for the map. Of course I will only do that if you approve of it.

slider38

Post by slider38 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Hey Warll, I'm having issues trying to make the combo work correctly. I am getting the two maps dates to show up correctly when I switch from one to the other, but the cities and industries are not switching correctly. It seems that once it gets the AI cities and industries in it's head, it won't switch to the Solo versions. You need to test this some more.
I'm not really sure how the game is supposed to decide which files to use. Now the original RRT_cities, industries and scenario files are still listed in maingame_4. Also, the 2 Scenario versions are calling the same cities and industries files. Do the calls in the solo scenario need to be changed so that they call RRT_Cities_Four_Corners_Solo and RRT_Industries_Four_Corners_Solo and the same changes made to the AI scenario file? Are the 3 files in Maingame 4 even supposed to be there? As you can see, I know just enough to be dangerous. Thanks for your help on this.

slider38

Post by slider38 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi Warll, Think I've got this figured out. I have attached a zip with updated scenario files for use with your combo approach. They each call the different cities and industries RRT files. I also removed the original scenario, cities and industries files from usermaps (they're just extra files now) - works like a charm. The only thing folks should need to adjust is the number of AI players. The game can't do that for them, but a reminder somewhere in your post would be good I think. I would appreciate it if you could pull the original scenario, city and industry files out of the maingame 4 zip. They are not needed. If you want to post this on your front page that would be cool, but you might want to try it first and see if you think it's any good :) Thanks again for your help.
Attachments
SMR_New Scenarios.zip
(6.28 KiB) Downloaded 539 times

Warll

Post by Warll » Sun May 01, 2011 11:40 pm

Ugh you're completely right! I didn't even notice the xml files within the scanario xml.

Ok here is a new combo: http://smrsimple.com/maps/FourCorners_v2_Combo.zip

I removed the default scenario xml, city and industry xml. I also shuffled around the files into what I assume was their original structure.

If another player is willing to give the map a go then we should good to go live with this version. Other players tend to spot errors so well you'd think they were being malicious!

slider38

Post by slider38 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:51 pm

I tried downloading your new combo zip but I'm getting a 404 Page Not Found error. Something is amiss. Please re-check that link.

Warll

Post by Warll » Mon May 02, 2011 1:50 am

Sorry, I had uploaded it to the root directory and not the maps folder. My fault :roll:

slider38

Post by slider38 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:50 am

Hi Warll, I successfully downloaded the new version of Four Corners and tested it some. It seems to switch back and forth just fine. The file setup in Usermaps looks good. I think you're good to go. Thanks for your help. I hope some folks will give it a try. Slider

Warll

Post by Warll » Wed May 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Alright that is great to hear. I'll wait a week to post it to the front page hopefully we can get a third player to play test it before then and uncover any potential bugs.

Richardf269

Post by Richardf269 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi guys. New to the forum here. Waril, I'm currently downloading the "Solo" 54MB version you posted up earlier. Is this the whole mod in 1 file, or do I need to download others?

Richardf269

Post by Richardf269 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:01 pm

Your instructions on how to install your game are too confusing, and I'm an advanced computer user. Can you please use better instructions? I can't install this mod correctly.

Trukntigger

Post by Trukntigger » Sat May 07, 2011 9:29 pm

This looks like it would be such a great mod to play with but I can not get this one to run no matter what I do. Guess steam version is just a pain. I have not given up but as is it loads, building steam and then crashes to desktop.

Before you ask, yes 2gig enabled.

Game rig specs- cpu e8400 (3.0gig dual 6 meg cache)
4 gigs ddr 2 high quality ram (1066) dual channel
Nvida gt (oc) 260 (1 gig ram onboard)
Raid 0 game drive, plain sata operating system and storage.
Windows 7 home premium 64bit

Settings all medium, no clouds non-window mode.
Crashes both solo and AI modes. Surprising I can see the choices in menu so at least some of the pathing works. What do you suggest? Try'd both the earlier versions and the newer V2 combo.
The worst question is the one that is never asked.

Trukntigger

Post by Trukntigger » Sun May 08, 2011 1:49 am

A bit more info. Crashes very fast during the "building steam" phase when using the "AI" map mode. Error message- no code just saying railroad.exe had an unexpected close due to error in C++ runtime. Guessing a DLL error of sorts. This is a pop up window crash alert.

On the Solo Map, almost finishes loading "building steam" then just kills game and your at your desktop, the checking for solutions box pops up and that's all.

I've tried a few more tricks. Put copy's of the files in several places at same time in case it's a path issue. Fell back to the store version of the exe file. Fell back to compatibility mode xp-srvc pack 3. Still no luck.

Sad, really want to try this map out.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sun May 08, 2011 4:20 am

@Richardf269: This is a SAM map, use the latest combo version and unzip it into your usermaps folder.

@Trukntigger: Have you been able to test it with a retail install or only the retail exe on a steam install?

Trukntigger

Post by Trukntigger » Sun May 08, 2011 4:35 am

I do not own the store version, just the steam version. I do have the store version exe with nocd change. Both this version and the steam one crash. Guessing it's related to the same issue- steam default game addons path is without that "!" at the end. The store exe dose run fine with the game in case you wondered, though it's so much larger bit wise. Steam version- 2,190kb and store (with nocd) 14,277kb.

Went to Steam's site today checking on support for this, not good. Because it is considered a 3rd party game they direct you to 2k and in the case of using mods, only those that you download thru steam are supported and non are available there.

Guess the only fix would be for me to edit the xml's to steam's default pathing but not sure which files need the change but willing to do so once I know which to look for and edit. Gosh, this would be so much easier if I could find out where in the main install / program they changed the path and just redo that instead to that missing "!".