FAQ Modding Map-making

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Jancsika

FAQ Modding Map-making

Post by Jancsika » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:38 am

Modding and Map making questions.

This thread was started to answer the most common questions you might have about Map creation, Modding, Scenario problems. Most of these (all of them) questions were answered and debated here and there in this forum.
If you have something to contribute you are more than welcome to do so.
==================================================================================
How to enable the Map Editor

by Warll
Once you have played a number of custom maps you will likely want to try and make your own. Luckily after the 1.1 patch Firaxis enabled added in-game map editor. This editor is not enabled by default nor is there any option in the game to enable it. Instead you have to edit your settings.ini file. You must add a line to your Settings.ini file found in your user data folder which by default is C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier’s Railroads!.  To do this open Settings.ini in notepad and add EditorEnabled = 1 on a new line in the [User Settings] section. Then start the game again and there will be a “Map Editor” option in the main menu.
Once you have created your map do not forget to post it in the forum, so that it can be included in the map list.
Happy map making!
http://www.smrsimple.com/2009/12/enabli ... ap-editor/
=====================================================================================
How do I add new goods to my map?
Basic rule of adding a good to the your map.

1.Add the good to RRT_Goods_Mapname.XML (If it is a SAM map the filename is: RRT_Goods.XML
2.Add the traincar to haul the good to RRT_Traincar_Mapname.XML
3.Add an industry to produce the good to RRT_Industries_Mapname.XML
4.Add an industry to receive the good to RRT_Industries_Mapname.XML, or modify the cities in RRT_Cities_Mapname.XML
5.If there are only stock (Firaxis) industries you don't have to worry about the Annexes for the field (Oil, Grain) industries. But if it has custom industries, you will need an RRT_Depots_Mapname_XML , with ALL THE USED stock depots, including mail and passengers.
Here is a link you should read: http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =42&t=3378
==============================================================================================
How to empty the Game Folder

In order to play most of the custom maps you must have a completely empty C:\user\users\“My Games\Sid Meier’s Railroads!” folder.
The simplest way is to delete or rename the folder and let the game create a new one.
Once you deleted the C:\user\users\“My Games\Sid Meier’s Railroads!” folder and start a new stock game, the program will look for this folder. If it can not find one, it will automatically create one.
Now you will have an empty and completely clean folder and you can install the new custom map as the map's creator directs.

More detailed explanation can be had at http://www.smrsimple.com/2009/06/howto- ... ding-maps/
=================================================================================================

HOW TO PLACE NEW INDUSTRY IN MY MAP?
First you should start with a clean C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads! directory.
Delete the whole C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads! directory, then start a new stock game. The game automatically will create a new C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads! directory.
Then go into Terrain Editor and create a new Map. The map will be in the "UserMaps" folder.

Here I am assuming that you have an Industry designed and ready to be placed.
It should have all the necessary graphic components the FPK file or the individual graphic files(Nif,Tga,Dds,Kfm ).
Also the corresponding XML file that will give the program the commands,as what to do with those graphic files.
Place the FPK file (or the graphic detalis files) in the "UserMaps" folder, and add the GOOD NAME.XLM to the Industry.XLM file.

If the industry is an "in the city" industry" that's all you have to do.
If the industry is a field industry (mine, farm) you will need a Depot (it is called Annex in the game) for the train to load.

Here again it is the same procedure.
You will have to place the proper FPK file in the UserMaps directory, and the Annex.XLM into the Depots folder.

If this is the first custom Annex, you might not have a Depot folder, then you have to create one. The folder name should be RRT_Depots_MAPNAME.XML
Here you have to list ALL the Annexes, Depot, Station, Terminal as a “one liner”, for example:
<Depot>
<szName>Coal Mine Annex</szName>
</Depot>
and add the complete XLM of the new annex.

Also check the RRT_Scenario_User_Mapname.XLM file. Be sure to have reference to the Depot folder that you just created. If not you have to add this line to the RRT_Scenario_User_Mapname.XLM file:
<DepotsXMLFile>RRT_Depots_France.xml</DepotsXMLFile>

And of course you will need "Goods" and TrainCars" to have the whole thing working.
=====================================================================================================
What is a “SAM”?

by Warll
"SAM" stands for "Stand Along Map" while "SAM2" stands for "Stand Alone Map2", there is no difference to the end users between the two. If a file is marked as a "SAM" or "SAM2" that means it has been packaged in such a way that all you have to do is uncompress it and move it into your "My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\UserMaps" folder. This is a dramatic improvement over the method first used where one might have to download up to five maps and install them for a new map to work. Now it may seem at first that this is really a regression, after all now you can only have one map installed at a time. In this case though the benefits out weigh the cost quite a bit. Sadly some Sid Meier's Railroads! files cannot be edited per map without chaning things for the entire game, an example of which is the tunnels.xml. The tunnels.xml stores the costs for both tunnels and bridges, many mappers like to change these costs to create more realistic maps. As well the game has a fairly low limit of how many unique goods there can be in the game, beyond this limit the game simply ignores the other goods. Perhaps though the biggest reasoning is that Sid Meier's Railroads is not conservative when it comes to memory use and will load up every asset in the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder it can find. By limiting the amount of unused files the game loads, maps can be made larger with the memory available.

The effort to get every Sid Meier's Railroads custom map into the SAM format was spearheaded by Snoopy55, Bobby, Tijer and Pete colectivly known as STEP inc, credit also goes to Jancsika for pakaging a number of maps.

You might also incounter "Clean install Compatible" aka "CIC" pakaged maps, these can be installed jsut like "SAM"s would be by copying the files into the "My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\UserMaps" folder.
http://www.smrsimple.com/2009/06/what-is-a-sam/
==========================================================================================================
6.(M)
Where can I find Tenders for my engines
There are custom tenders at:

http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... it=tenders
=====================================================================================================
7.(M)
I installed an Industry in the Industries.xml folder but nothing is showing up in the game
I will show it to you with an example.
Will try to install an “Iron Mine”.

Copy the Iron Mine.FPK in the "UserMaps" folder, and add the Iron Mine.XLM to the RRT_Industry_MAPNAME.XLM file.
But that's not all!!!!

Since the Iron Mine is not in a City, you will need a Depot for the train to load. Find the Iron Mine Annex in the Annexes thread and preform the same operation. The FPK file in the UserMaps, the Annex into the RRT_Depots_MAPNAME.xml. folder.
You might not have a RRT_Depot.xml folder, then you have to create one.
If you create a new RRT_Depots_MAPNAME.xml folder you have to list as a one-liner all the Depots, Station and Terminal.
...And add this line “ <DepotsXMLFile>RRT_Depots_Alternate_Balkans.xml</DepotsXMLFile>”
to your RRT_Scenario_User_MAPNAME.xml folder,.

And of course you will need "Goods" and TrainCars" to have the whole thing working.

If you are installing an in-the-city Industry, then you don't have to worry about the Depot business.
Also if you are using a stock Firaxis industry, you will not need an RRT_Depots_MAMNAME.xml folder.
Last edited by Jancsika on Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed the grammar on one of the entires I wrote

Jancsika

Re: FAQ Modding Map-making

Post by Jancsika » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:51 am

How can I slow down the game speed

The default game speed is 16 turns per month.
You can slow down the game speed by inserting this line in the C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!_0_Greenland_01\UserMaps\MAPNAME\RRT_Scenario_Users_MAPNAME.xml file:
<iTurnsPerMonth>32</iTurnsPerMonth>
You can insert any number you like.

Be aware that this will slow down the game speed, but the maintenance expenses will keep the default 16 turns/month cost ratio.

Jediron

Post by Jediron » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:17 am

In summery this looks good, but for me, i still have not a clue what to add exactly in those files. Can i find tutorial or examples of what lines needs to added exactly ?

Trying to make a basic map, with nothing much special but only to let a city accept and pay for food is a step too far for me. Can someone help me with this and/or give a hint how i can use others scenario code. Because all i want is a working industry, with my new map. Help plz!

ps: really disappointing that afaik there is not one single video-tutorial about this stuff. To see someone DO things is so better to follow :-)

CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:11 pm

there are dozens of Sid Meier Railroads videos, mostly Lets Play type. Never thought of doing an editing video. Most editing is done in text XML files and one graphic MAP file. And constantly referring to the WIKI. Hmmm...
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200