Borneo Island Map Final Release

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Pete

Re: Borneo Island Map Final Release

Post by Pete » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:48 pm

I, and some others had the same problem.
The goods.xml file can't be found.
I got Rodea to send me that file; installed it manually; then did the install again. Worked then.
Don't have it installed any more. Too big a map for my machine.

Pete

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:56 pm

How much RAM do you have?
This is a huge map and will require at least 2 Gb memory. (So I am been told).
You have to remove all not used programs, Virus scanner, etc....
Also please read this thread, it will explain how to handle your memory.\
http://www.smrsimple.com/2009/12/play-l ... b-enabler/
I, and some others had the same problem.
The goods.xml file can't be found.
I got Rodea to send me that file; installed it manually; then did the install again. Worked then.
Don't have it installed any more. Too big a map for my machine.

Pete
Thanks Pete! I myself never cared for installers.
Your post came after I have composed my answer, so I am not quite sure that my answer will help.
Jancsika.
Attachments
RRT_Goods_Borneo Island Map.zip
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 374 times

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:42 pm

I belive Pete is referring to this file.

C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!_Borneo\CustomAssets\XML\RRT_Goods.xml

You have to create the XML directory manually
Jancsika
Attachments
RRT_Goods.zip
(2.91 KiB) Downloaded 383 times

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Your right; thats the file I'm talking about.
RRT_goods.xml
But your attaching RRT_goods_Borneo Island Map.xml

Pete

BandOFan

Post by BandOFan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:11 pm

OK, I created the XML directory in the CustomAssets directory. Then I copied the file you attached above into the XML directory and renamed it RR_Goods.xml. I reran the installer and got the same error message, but it looked like it got farther this time. I went ahead and started SMR to try and attempt to play the map and this time it worked!
So, wonky installer and missing file, but it does work after all.
Fantastic map Rodea. It looks amazing! :D

And thanks for the help Jancsika

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:13 am

Yea. Clicked on the wrong ZIP.
The installation must have overwritten it.
It looks like any file would do as long as it is called RRT_Goods.ZIP
Somebody ought to make a SAM of it :lol:
Jancsika
Actually we all have to give thanks to Pete, because this was something I have not known before. :oops:

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:33 am

BandOFan wrote:I downloaded the map from the 'Map Database' page.
I un-zipped the file.
I deleted the C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads! directory and
I restarted SMR to recreate it.
I double clicked on the 'Setup Rodea2007 Map Borneo Island Map Scenario1.1.exe'
I am trying to install as Administrator, but I cannot get this map to install.
I get the following error;
ERROR1.JPG
The second error msg is the result of hitting the 'Show Details' button from the error screen.
ERROR2.JPG
Any ideas? I've tried re-downloading and all the previous steps several times and I get the same error.
There are some subject that I must convey to the forum because many of us who do not successfully install the Borneo Island Map into their computer
1. Borneo Island map comes with an installer built using NSIS installer where in making one of them is checking the registry where the Sid Meier's Railroad installed

2. Furthermore, if the results of checking the registry, found the program Sid Meier's railroads! already registered in the registry then the Installer from Borneo Island Map will continue its work to install the map into your computer to finish

3. If the results of checking the registry could not find the program Sid Meier's railroads!, Then the program will jump to the error and will issue a statement that the program has failed to be installed

What happens at BanOFan is such events on point number three, where BIM Installer does not find the SMR Program already registered by the registry so that the Installer issue a statement like the picture above. This happens because BanOFan using SMR Programs from other existing operating system within the CPU and did not install the SMR on the Operating System being used.
So to solve this problem to the first, you must install the SMR on the Operating System you are using, after you install it then re-Install Borneo Island Map

Good Luck
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Warll

Post by Warll » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:52 am

Rodea what does the installer check for exactly? I'm curious because I'm re-writing the map manager and this sounds like a possible solution to one of the problems I need to solve.

To elaborate I need to identify the "my games/smr/usermaps" folder using a reliable method.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:10 am

Warll wrote:Rodea what does the installer check for exactly? I'm curious because I'm re-writing the map manager and this sounds like a possible solution to one of the problems I need to solve.

To elaborate I need to identify the "my games/smr/usermaps" folder using a reliable method.
Yes very exactly as I know
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

Warll

Post by Warll » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:56 am

I'm sorry that sentence must have been too complicated. What I was asking you was if you could tell me what value the installer checks inside the registry.

But don't worry about it now/ I have managed to use the native Widnows C API to get the path. Works quite well although I ran into a very painful bug between QT framework's debug console and tchars. :roll:

BandOFan

Post by BandOFan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:07 am

Ah, I think Rodea is not correct about the installation issue, but he is very very close. Still a very astute deduction. I'm sure that he is right about it being a registry issue. I did not buy SMR from a store on CD. I bought it from a licensed download service. No physical media was required. I purchased it online and it was installed from the online services client. I have purchased and installed a few other games from this same service. It is http://www.stardock.com/
I am sure this does explain my difficulty, but I'm afraid the installer issue will remain for others that use this service or others like it to install SMR. I know Stardock is not the only ones providing services like this for purchasing and installing SMR. Unfortunately, the solution I cannot provide. :(

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:48 pm

BandOFan wrote:Ah, I think Rodea is not correct about the installation issue, but he is very very close. Still a very astute deduction. I'm sure that he is right about it being a registry issue. I did not buy SMR from a store on CD. I bought it from a licensed download service. No physical media was required. I purchased it online and it was installed from the online services client. I have purchased and installed a few other games from this same service. It is http://www.stardock.com/
I am sure this does explain my difficulty, but I'm afraid the installer issue will remain for others that use this service or others like it to install SMR. I know Stardock is not the only ones providing services like this for purchasing and installing SMR. Unfortunately, the solution I cannot provide. :(
I'm not saying SMR that you do not have a license to use, but what I mean is you did not install SMR on the operating system are you running, but you install SMR on other existing operating system on your computer, I guess you have more than 1 Operating System on your Machine, so to solve your problem, you have to Install SMR on the Operating System are you Running. for example I have 2 Harddisk and 5 Operating System on my machine, they are on the Harddisk 1 Windows XP sp3, Windows Vista and Windows 7, then on The Harddisk 2 Windows XP sp2 and Windows 7, SMR only Installed on the Windows XP Sp2 (Harddisk 2), I use Windows XP SP3 on the Harddisk 1 as Current Operating System, I can Run SMR Game from Current OS but If you install Borneo Island Map, then BIM Installer will looking for SMR in the Windows Registry, Then BIM Installer will not found what he looking for because you only Install SMR on the Windows XP Sp2 on the HDD2, that is not as Current OS, but if you install SMR on the Windows XP Sp3 as Current OS, what happen to you won't happen again, Borneo Island Map Installer use SMR-I Installer Methode
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

BandOFan

Post by BandOFan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:05 pm

I did understand that is what you meant, but I have only one hard drive and only one OS. I was thinking maybe the Stardock installer mucked things up somehow. My current installation location is;
C:\Program Files\2K Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!

As far as I can tell, that is where the Registry says it is as well.

BandOFan

Post by BandOFan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:21 pm

I've uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. Reran the 3G enabler and again tried to install BIM. I got the same exact error message that I got the first time. I downloaded and installed the RR_Goods.xml file above into the ~/CustomAssets/XML directory and reran the BIM installer. It got farther this time, but still gives me the following error msgs;
ERROR1.JPG
ERROR2.JPG
but the game *does* load and run at least after this. Whether it crashes later or not I haven't determined because I haven't played out a full game yet.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:59 pm

:lol: :lol: Somebody ought to make a SAM of this. :) :lol:
Jancsika