Austrian Hungarian Monarchy SAM

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
RDubs

Re: Austrian Hungarian Monarchy SAM

Post by RDubs » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:56 am

Hi fellas.

I've been trying to use Karsten's fixed files to play the Monarchy map but I'm still getting auto-crashes during loading. Did I set anything up incorrectly? I made an 'Assets' folder in the same place as all the .xmls and maps and unzipped A, B, and C into it - no luck.

Since I'm on a Mac I also opened and re-saved all the .xmls to see if it was because of the file dating problem, but it still didn't help.

Anybody have any ideas?

railage

Post by railage » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:09 am

Ok, first a question: Are you playing with AI? Try loading the map without them.

Recently with the Windows version, Snoopy discovered that the game has a limit for 128 Locations in order for AI to work. Link to the post on Bobby's site: http://sidmeiersrailroads.net/viewtopic ... 888#p11888.

This map has 35 Cities and 105 pre-built industries. It needs to lose 12. If you feel that you must play this one against the AI, make a list of 12 industries in specific cities at game start that you wouldn't mind losing. I can cut those out. That still wont solve another problem with the AI starting in certain cities on these complex maps. Basically, the map would then load most of the time, but not all. That's assuming that Mac has the same issues that Windows does. Only way you are going to find out is if we try it. I don't have a Mac.

RDubs

Post by RDubs » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:00 am

Thanks railage. I never play against AI in these maps though; it was crashing with 0 AI. I suppose it's possible that for Mac somehow this problem occurs even single player but reading over the thread it does seem like it has something to do with the start locations.

Having not played the scenario I'm not sure which 12 industries the scenario could afford to lose.

railage

Post by railage » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:12 am

AI problems aren't the issue then. What does the loading progress status read at the time of your crash?

As I said, I don't have a Mac, so I am unsure on the best installation option for you. I would assume everything in the User Maps folder.

On the other site there is a post or two that seems to indicate that in-city industries aren't allowed to have display names on Macs. Do you understand enough of the XMLs to try removing those?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:24 pm

railage - is there a chance you could find and list those posts you speak of? There are 65 posts on Bobby's site in the last 4 years which use 'Mac' in them and I don't think i want to get into them right now. Do a search with a couple of other words you think might help and I'll examine your results.

RDubs - when you download a map, any map, SAM or not, any XML that does not contain a map name MUST be opened and saved in order to give it a date code newer than the files you got when you installed the game. If you re-install the game for some reason you MUST redo all of those XMLs to reset the date as the installer uses the date and time you install the game as the date code. The original game uses the date code of the last time the programmers made a change to the file. I understand that you may already know this, but it doesn't hurt to restate it.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

railage

Post by railage » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Here's the link to the thread with that discussion: http://sidmeiersrailroads.net/viewtopic ... 1301#p8476. Start at the first post.

RDubs

Post by RDubs » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:10 am

Anytime I've tried loading the Monarchy map the load screen would get to "Building up steam" just moments before the map and initial dialogue box should show up. And then CTD.

I'm sorry to say none of the fixes have worked yet either :cry: I did all the timestamping stuff with each .xml that's often been necessary for MAC.

Then I went into the RRT_Industries_Monarchy.xml and found each <bInCity>1</bInCity> industry and got rid of the DisplayNames tag sections for each, while leaving the rural industries alone. I was excited this would get it, but unfortunately the load still CTDs in the same place.

Then I went back and looked at my map Southern Ontario Deluxe, which I know loads every time. Its industries.xml DID have a few DisplayNames in in-city industries, and Southern Ontario Deluxe loaded no problem whether those tag sections were in the .xml or not. So I'm stumped.

railage

Post by railage » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:41 am

Sorry it didn't work.

If you didn't give up yet, you could try turning the debugging log files on. That's assuming the Mac version has that option.

In Windows, you find the Settings.ini file in the My Games/Sid Meiers Railroads! folder.

Open it with something simple like Notepad, and find the line Logging=0. Change that to Logging=1.

A log will now be generated in the My Games/Sid Meiers Railroads!/Logs folder.

Also,
There is a version of the map with cleaner XMLs on the other site. You might have better luck with that. You just need to make 2 posts there before you can download.

Getting the Robber Baron first-era strategy for Southern Ontario Deluxe is requiring a bit of careful planning. At this point I don't know if I will manage it without patents. You will find Monarchy a stroll in the park in comparison as far as economic/crunch time challenge. But there are lots of custom cargoes and industries, which goes a way to make up for the lack of challenge.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:41 am

RDubs - you don't happen to have any maps loaded into CustomAssets do you? CustomAssets must be empty and only one map can be installed at a time.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....