NAFTA Phase I

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
pete1061

Re: NAFTA Phase I

Post by pete1061 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:28 am

nice map, but there arent enough resources to finish the supply chain.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:37 pm

This is a random Industries map and the AI sometimes misses one or two resources.
I suggest,that when you start the game check the minimap of goods and industries if they are all there. If not, just start a new game and they will show up eventually. :roll:
Jancsika

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Wed May 06, 2009 4:55 pm

I finally played this map, it was fun, a bit slow, but I enjoyed it. Didn't see any problems. On the first try, I still missed the last objective by 5 carloads.... I figured out a bit late that a computer train I bought out was shipping my new york manufactured goods to philadelphia.... I think I lost 50 or so loads, won't make that mistake again. But on tycoon level, this is how I did on the first try.

I'll try it again later this week maybe. Any other hard maps for me Jancsika? Yours seem the most fun with all the weird goods and long chains :)
Attachments
nafta.jpg
-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu May 07, 2009 2:35 am

Also, I found that my game would crash if I tried to play another map online... ultimately I had to clear the usermaps folder so it was empty, then things worked fine. But normally I find it's ok to have one mod map and it's fixin's in the user maps folder. Any idea why this one causes a crash on other maps when in the folder?
-Bob the Lunatic

karsten

Post by karsten » Thu May 07, 2009 6:13 am

Maps with new goods modify the goods file. That unfortunately crashes maps which use the standard goods file.

This is the most important reason (there are others) that any stand-alone map (SAM,CIC, etc.) is recommended to be the only map in the UserMaps folder and is to be removed from UserMaps before starting with another map.

All stand-alone maps, even the majority that don't modify the goods file, are recommended to be played alone, because other, more subtle, stability issues can and do arise between user mods stored in the UserMaps folder. :D

rencis79

Post by rencis79 » Mon May 25, 2009 2:18 pm

i like this map a lot

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:20 pm

Time to add my compliments to all the others! :D I started as Robber Baron on the East Coast and soon found myself bought out by the AI competition. So I needed to take them out as quickly as possible instead. In the process even got a bit of AI rail system that turned out to be useful later.
Then I built up two fertilizer food chains,
Fertilizer industry.jpg
connected NY and LA and managed to deliver all goods by the skin of my teeth
Hectic activity near Las Vegas.jpg
- with barely three years to go.
NAFTA RB WIN .jpg
Great to see Lowell's dual Mikado getting such good use in the attractive mountainous scenery!
Attachments
Lowell's green Dual Mikado delivering the goods.jpg
NAFTA-RB-WIN-ROUTE-B.jpg

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:24 pm

Hey guys!
Thanks for the compliments.
I have a question to ask:
This is a large 20 x 20 map and originally I had more industries in mind, but the gameplay became too sluggish towards the end and that's why I stopped at this point.
I came to the conclusion that a 15 X 15 map is the maximun practical size.

Shall I make a Phase II with added industries?
Shall I reduce the map size to 15 X 15 (that will place the cities closer to each other)?
Or just leave everything as is now?

Jancsika :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:50 pm

I think the map is fine as it is - nice long train connections and good scenery.
Why not have a second version that does not have random placement of industries, and makes better use of the extreme south and north (Mexico and Canada) areas in a Nafta story. Then you could also use the phase II elements you had in mind. :D

Bushdoctor

Post by Bushdoctor » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:30 am

This is a great scenario with the long chain of industries. Thanks for creating it. There is however a problem with the delivery of manufactured goods. This is a game-problem, not a scenario-problem.

At the end of the scenario, when you need to build an extra distribution center in Los Angeles things go wrong. This is because the game does not allow cities to accept goods that are also produced in that city. This isn't entirely true because it's actually a matter of quantities.

If a New York train with 8 cars of manufactured goods arrives in Los Angeles, the payout depends on the amount of manufactured goods waiting at the station in LA. If the station already stores 8 or more manufactured goods, it will not accept any from the incoming train. (The train goes back to NY without delivering its goods).

If the station stores less than 8 manufactured goods, the difference will be delivered and payed out. So, for example, if there are 6 manufactured goods at the station the train will only deliver 2. (The remaining 6 return to sender with 2 'new' ones added).

I think this might go for all goods except passengers and mail.

Greets,
Bushdoctor.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks for your kind comments.
This was my first large map 20 X 20, and I had trouble running it on my machine and I have neglected it. Now with Windows 7, it will be easier to play and I have to get back to it. ( I got rather busy lately :wink: )
Welcome back to the forum, we missed you.
Jancsika

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:55 pm

Always with the "ship 100 carloads"! Looks like a good map, I'll have to check it out.... been months since I actually played!

EDIT: Just realized this is an old thread and I already played this map... so guess I'll have to play it again.
-Bob the Lunatic

Bushdoctor

Post by Bushdoctor » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:29 am

Thanks for the kind reply Jancsika and thanks for the great scenarios.
I think I was wrong (luckily). I played the map again and everything worked fine.
My apologies for starting an unnecessary discussion.

Darth, definitely play this map again because with the random industries every game is different. Pretty cool.

I love a well balanced map with tough goals. This one has a hidden difficulty. You need to think ahead and start growing the last two cities early otherwise they won't accept the goods necessary to reach the goals. Very nice. I do think money came too easy in this scenario but many folks will probably like that. A good one!

Greets!
Doc.

PS. As for your earlier question: I just upgraded to a brand new shiny machine with a monster of a graphics card so maps and scenarios can't be too large or too hard for me. Brrrrring it on! Hehehe.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:14 am

PS. As for your earlier question: I just upgraded to a brand new shiny machine with a monster of a graphics card so maps and scenarios can't be too large or too hard for me. Brrrrring it on! Hehehe.
I have an other map NAFTA Phase II. Released about 3 weeks ago.
I found it difficult to play. As a matter of fact, even thou I was working on it for about a year I never properly played it through.
I have heard only one comment on it, so I am curious if it is really playable, or people just gave up on it and are afraid to comment.
I am seriuosly thinking about to redo it.
How about trying it?
Darthroid too, He likes difficult games.
Jancsika

Bushdoctor

Post by Bushdoctor » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:13 am

Awesome! Sounds like a challenge.
I'm going to download it now. Thanks.