This is not always the case. There are RAR, ZIP, and 7Z compressions used, depending on the mapmaker.How to install SAMs
NOTICE! Because of size, future SAMs may be compressed in a 7z format, then into a regular zip format. Looking at the Europe SAM, a zip is 7.102 Mb in size. A 7z is 4.287 Mb in size. As the forum will not accept 7z files, I zipped the 7z and uploaded it. Open both, and if you prefer to store zipped files, rezip it in zip format. The needed program for 7z format is free and available at:
The reason I'm using to this is that it has a higher compression ratio and thus smaller uploads I will put a notice at any SAM uploaded in this format.
SAM (Stand Alone Maps)
The following is the instructions for their use.
1) Go into C:\Documents and Settings\(your computers name)\My Documents\My Games and rename the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder you presently have, adding an ending to it, whatever you want.
2) Start the game. When it gets to the main menu, exit.
3) Go into the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder you renamed and copy the 'Settings.ini' file into the newly created Sid Meier's Railroads! folder. You now have the basis for all future SAM and CIC maps.
4) Open the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder, then open the UserMaps folder.
5) Open the Zip file of the map you wish to play and extract the map folder and any FPK files, if present, to the UserMaps folder.
6) Close all folders and play the map.
To play a different map:
1) Open the Sid Meier's Railroads! folder, then open the UserMaps folder.
2) Delete any folders and files contained there.
3) Open the Zip file of the map you wish to play and extract the map folder and any FPK files, if present, to the UserMaps folder.
4) Close all folders and play the map.
Now, some of you may feel that the FPK folders have to be in CustomAssets. That's fine with us, do it as you wish. You need to remember to delete those FPKs from there when you change maps. For the most part, leaving them there should not create a problem, but then we have no intention of sticking every FPK file into CustomAssets and testing it. Do it as per the above instructions and you should have no problems. If you chose to play a CIC style map, follow the instructions given with those.
Keep the Zip files where ever you like. Tijer suggested they be kept in the UserMaps, which will work as the game cannot read Zip files. They could also be burned to a CD or DVD which makes it handy for storage. Each to his own.
We hope you enjoy playing these maps.