Borneo Island Huge Map Pre Release

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Rodea2007

Borneo Island Huge Map Pre Release

Post by Rodea2007 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:54 am

This Map I made for testing Huge map size that is 25x25 (625) and as Pre-Release Borneo Island Map (In Middle testing)
This Demo map come with base Goods and Industries from US_East Scenario and will upgrade with Borneo Island Map after finish where that map adding new Industry and New good is called Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) Fields produce Natural Gas. That map is Huge size and I'm not recommended to play this map if you have memory less than 1 Gb and video card memory under 512 Mb
To Install this map extract the rar file then click Installer icon, that installer will do it for you
Good Luck.... :P

Notes: If you want to know about Borneo please go to the link address :(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borneo)
Attachments
Setup Railroads! Borneo Island Scenario Map.rar
(809 KiB) Downloaded 1166 times
Borneo.png
Last edited by Rodea2007 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

dwax

Re: Borneo Island Huge Map Pre Release

Post by dwax » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:29 am

Been waiting for this. :) But after installing I tried to play and it Crashed to the desktop.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:43 am

dwax wrote:Been waiting for this. :) But after installing I tried to play and it Crashed to the desktop.
should be this map no error or CTD because this map have no mods and using items from US_East Scenario Map that is original scenario from this game. but you can try to edit RRT_Scenario_Borneo_HugeMap.xml and change all RRT items to US_East except RRT_City, RRT_Decoration and RRT_Names
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

K-class

Post by K-class » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:26 am

No CTD for me starts and plays ok for me. Just started 15 mins ago.

Cant wait till you add more industries and trains etc.

Great work Rodea2007 :D

** edited **

Yep ran tracks ran map hooked up existing industries all ok no ctd.

This is one large map, only suggestion go for "WOW" factor like new industries and trains etc showpeice some
New good is called Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) Fields produce Natural Gas.
let the map breathe with some graet track layout and scenary. Let people enjoy the map.

but dont go crazy on stuffing in as much industries as possible and shipping thousands of people and mail etc and keep the scenario simple but challanging like long shipping distance perhaps as Im sure later on in the map it will come to a crawl espically with double track.

Looking forward to the release.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

dwax

Post by dwax » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:11 am

Got it working Rodea2007. :) When is the full version ready? :mrgreen:

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:40 am

I guess it needs a grain field or two. The cities ask for it but there are no grain fields on the map.

I do like this map, nice job. I really want to play this one when you are done, I am curious as to how it will run when full. It has fifty one cities :shock: ...man that is going to be a challange to get goods to every city.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:28 am

Lowell wrote:I guess it needs a grain field or two. The cities ask for it but there are no grain fields on the map.

I do like this map, nice job. I really want to play this one when you are done, I am curious as to how it will run when full. It has fifty one cities :shock: ...man that is going to be a challange to get goods to every city.
be patient.... :P

To remember Lowell that's map is normal style, Not as SAM or CIC, if the full version for this map has ready you can't put this map together with CIC Map style or SAM Map style, because in Normal Style not allowed to put Global RRT_Goods.xml and FPK in UserMap folder. I will make installer for this map and that installer will put FPK in CustomAssets folder and Borneo HugeMap(include Global RRT_Effects.xml) in UserMap Folder
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:48 am

okay...somehow I didn't quite get that :D ...the map runs in a clean game file just fine. I was only saying that you have food plants in three cities, they want grain to make food. However there are no grain fields placed on the map yet. I know you are not done yet...I was only making an observation. So the map can't be played as is yet...no grain. The game won't auto place one because you have started to place all the industries, setting just one turns off auto placement for everything else. Now you have me thinking of making a 30x30. :lol:

EDIT...
...now after re-reading your post. I see something that might need clarified. You mentioned placing this map in "with" a sam or cic map? No maps can be placed in "with" a sam or cic map. Those can be the only map in the game at any one time. To play a new map the old folder, Fpks and all, must be removed out of the game completly...then the next map folder placed in usermaps alone. Maps that use "only" the games default goods and industries can be run as a stand alone map just fine and won't need any global files added to it. Sams and CIC maps most likely will include a global file or two inside, that's one reason why they need removed as they will interfear with other maps content.
It also could be that if you "only" use default game stuff it could "stay" inside the game. But to make things safe for others and not to confuse them, sams and cics should be played by themselves in the usermaps folder. That's how I see it should be, correct me if I am mistaken on something.
because in Normal Style not allowed to put Global RRT_Goods.xml and FPK in UserMap folder. I will make installer for this map and that installer will put FPK in CustomAssets folder and Borneo HugeMap(include Global RRT_Effects.xml) in UserMap Folder
Well you can't place a "global" events file in a "normal" game map either. A default game map, will have no global files at all, and depend totally on the games default lists. You could have a RRT_Events_Borneo_HugeMap.xml named after the scenario. Maybe I misunderstood what you ment.

Also...could there be a download of your maps with just the files and folders? Many don't run smri anymore, and will load your maps in a clean game folder. They like to know where files are being placed, as it is important when switching maps. So many might shy away from installers. Having them as folders that they can just drop in and play is much easier than ruinning an installer and uninstaller everytime, plus windows sees it as a loaded new program and starts to save ram for it even if not running the game...untill you uninstall it. thanks.
Last edited by Lowell on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:40 am

Lowell wrote:Now you have me thinking of making a 30x30. :lol:
You right Lowell...I did.... :lol: and future plan I want to make 45x45 0r 60x60..... :lol:
Lowell wrote: EDIT...
...now after re-reading your post. I see something that might need clarified. You mentioned placing this map in "with" a sam or cic map? No maps can be placed in "with" a sam or cic map. Those can be the only map in the game at any one time. To play a new map the old folder must be removed out of the game completly...then the next map folder placed in usermaps alone. Maps that use "only" the games default goods and industries can be run as a stand alone map just fine and won't need any global files added to it. Sams and CIC maps most likely will include a global file or two inside, that's one reason why they need removed as they will interfear with other maps content.
It also could be that if you "only" use default game stuff it could "stay" inside the game. But to make things safe for others and not to confuse them, sams and cics should be played by themselves in the usermaps folder. That's how I see it should be, correct me if I am mistaken on something.
Yes...you correct
Lowell wrote: Well you can't place a "global" events file in a "normal" game map either. A default game map, will have no global files at all, and depend totally on the games default lists. You could have a RRT_Events_Borneo_HugeMap.xml named after the scenario. Maybe I misunderstood what you ment.
Only global RRT_Goods.xml can't put in UserMaps folder, but In Normal Style if you not put RRT_Trains.xml As Global in CustomAssets your new Trains can't allowed to load Freight only Passengers and Mails. And about Grain Farm you needs to restart and play again. Just download and plays 2 minutes ago. Look at picture below
Attachments
grain_farm.jpg
Last edited by Rodea2007 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:53 am

but In Normal Style if you not put RRT_Trains.xml As Global in CustomAssets your new Trains can't allowed to load Freight only Passengers and Mails.
Then it isn't a default game map. You are introducing new trains to the game. You can place that global trains file inside the map.

How do you want people to load your game? In SMRI? I think everyone is using the clean game folder idea now. So using installers that place items in the other folders might confuse them when switching maps in and out. Running installers and uninstallers all the time is not a good idea, having the maps files in a single folder or like the sams with a folder and fpk is far better and the map will get played more often. So just place your global files inside the map folder and not spread out in the custom assets folder. Then when the player switches out the map folder, there won't be stuff in other folders that they miss then their game starts to crash all the time again.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:28 am

Lowell wrote: Then it isn't a default game map. You are introducing new trains to the game. You can place that global trains file inside the map.
If you make as CIC Map or SAM Map that is true but if you want to put this map together with another Maps (Not SAM or CIC) you can't put global RRT_Trains.xml inside your map because if you have new train that train can't allowed to load Freight only Passengers and Mails
Lowell wrote: How do you want people to load your game? In SMRI?
No...not in SMRI but in SMR without "I" That's mean this map can put together with another Maps (except SAM and CIC style), but if the people want to make install clean I think no problem, make a new SMR folder then Install this map...plays ...maybe be better because this map is Huge. That is depending to the peoples because. I have reason to make like this because if the poeple was had FPK from new Industries or other stuff from my maps in their CustomAssets folder and if I want to launch a new map I don't need to upload that FPK with my new map because that FPK has provided in their CustomAssets Folder, that's can reduce size file to upload. Try to Think... if you make a CIC or SAM map every upload new map you must upload FPK files inside the map files whereas that's FPK has provided by your old map, that's should be not necessary to do, and the people every want to play CIC or SAM map have to make a New SMR Folder or delete the old SMR folder, but if use original methode you not need to do it....think it..... 8)
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

karsten

Post by karsten » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:35 am

:shock: WOW! If I have not completely misunderstood this post, Rodea has just rediscovered the "Globals" concept! :shock: Try to Think...

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Rodea2007 wrote: If you make as CIC Map or SAM Map that is true but if you want to put this map together with another Maps (Not SAM or CIC) you can't put global RRT_Trains.xml inside your map because if you have new train that train can't allowed to load Freight only Passengers and Mails
I am not too sure about that. I do remember I had my new trains running just fine and only had the scenario trains list then I had the names added for the roundhouse in the Names.xml list for the scenario. I did need a global trains list for TrainTable mode however, so stand alone maps with new trains will work without that global file, but traintable mode won't work right.
In the regular game the GP38 is taged as passenger and mail in the roundhouse listing, but in-game they pull freight too. So if you are going by what shows in the roundhouse, you cannot go by that. I did a ton of testing with the use of the global trains file, so I know they will work as new trains without it being in there and it has nothing to do with not pulling freight as I had them working fine till Dwax told me he couldn't get to all trains in Train Table mode...then I placed the global trains file in with the scenario's train file and traintable mode worked. But the trains always pulled freight even though some of the diesels say in the roundhouse they only pull passengers and mail. That is just a fluke with the game somewhere.
...maybe be better because this map is Huge. That is depending to the peoples because. I have reason to make like this because if the poeple was had FPK from new Industries or other stuff from my maps in their CustomAssets folder and if I want to launch a new map I don't need to upload that FPK with my new map because that FPK has provided in their CustomAssets Folder, that's can reduce size file to upload. Try to Think... if you make a CIC or SAM map every upload new map you must upload FPK files inside the map files whereas that's FPK has provided by your old map, that's should be not necessary to do, and the people every want to play CIC or SAM map have to make a New SMR Folder or delete the old SMR folder, but if use original methode you not need to do it....think it..... 8)
Well I am not sure I follow you. By using an installer, Windows sees your map installer as a newly loaded program into the system, then windows sets system resources aside for it, even if you are not playing RailRoads!. The whiole idea behind self contained maps is they use "less" system resources. Large maps do run faster and use less ram if run by themselves without a bunch of other content into the game. Each map should only have the content items that are used for that map. People don't "delete" their clean game folder, they just "swap" the map folders in and out. Asking them to do so might confuse and frustrate players. It's okay to use Fpks, they can be placed in Usermaps right beside the map folder but outside the map folder. Keep any global xml lists right inside the map folder, the game dosen't need to see global files in custom assets...you can see how my files are made on the last couple maps I have out. If you use a general Fpk that has content items you use for several maps, have the Fpk as a seperate download apart from the map file, then if they already have it they don't need to download it again like you said. If done correct, no fpks or files are needed inside custom assets, they can all be placed in usermaps, that makes it easy for the player to remove all content while swaping maps in and out.
Either way is fine, I was only trying to point out that the maps could be easier to drop and play without using installers. I have an installer program as well, but dropped it after everyone asked me not to use them anymore. They just wanted a file folder drop and play system. I know you are real busy with max and editing your maps, I thought you might not have had a chance to examine the file structure of those new maps yet. It makes everything so simple and all files for a scenario are all in one spot. Plus, if the maps are just a file folder, they can be dropped back in the game folder and played more often, as many have a folder where they store their sam and cic maps. Then swap them in and out of the games usermap folder from their stand alone map save folder. So they "see" the map folders all in a list and can drag one into usermaps much easier. The installers may not be saved in with the stand alone folder and may get forgotten once uninstalled.
Anyway it was just a thought, I still love all your maps, I just make a new clean game folder...run your installer...then rename it as needed. Then I don't have to uninstall them or reinstall them, just rename the folder and run the map. But that might be too confusing for some...so they just swap the single folders in and out. :D
I don't need to upload that FPK with my new map because that FPK has provided in their CustomAssets Folder
...remember now, you cannot "leave" Fpks in a players custom assets folder. This is what I have been talking about. Leaving Fpks and global files in custom assets will throw off other maps. And in a clean game folder, everything must be removed before anouther map is loaded...everything and that means everything in custom assets must be deleted too. So as everyone moves to using self contained maps, there will be no Fpks in there for them to "reuse." Even on your maps, players will remove that Fpk when they swap out map folders, even if they load anouther of your maps. So each map will have it's own Fpk or Assets folder for it's own new game content. And that's important to know as you are building map files...I think :? :) ...

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:03 am

I guess This discuss about Map Concept can't finish, because I have reason for my concept, Lowell and Snoopy have too, If May I suggest to the poeoples her e to choice what the best concept do you think, please use that, if not I suggest to make 3 Sid Meier's Railroads! folder under My Games that is:
1. Sid Meier's Railroads! folder to Global Concept
2. Sid Meier's Railroads! folder to CIC concept
3. Sid Meier's Railroads! folder to SAM concept,

But you only allow used 1 Sid Meier's Railroads! and have to rename another Sid Meier's Railroads! folder
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:27 am

Rodea...I've been following this and if you'd like I can make a SAM version of your maps for people who want that type. I have plans on doing them at a later date, unless you prefer me not to. It's just that I have to do BBs before I can SAM the map that they came from, so I have much to do, along with the map I'm working on.

As I said, just like anyone elses maps, if you don't want them adapted to SAM versions, speak up and they will not be done.

Mind you, I only make changes to maps that crash and need repairs, or changes in the contents such as a Tannery that is nothing more than a Chemical Plant and need some DDS editing.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....