Mud Skippers

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
RockyNarrowGauge

Re: Mud Skippers

Post by RockyNarrowGauge » Fri May 22, 2009 1:58 am

Lowell wrote:The "hate" part was directed towards the other group...not you.
why can't you answer our questions.
I will answer any questions. Don't bury them in other ramblings...ask your questions and you will have an answer. I still don't know what this question is I have not answered.

I do remember several places on the forum where you said your CICs were for you and you did not create the way they were done for other people to use.
This statement is taken out of context. What I meant by saying that is, if it looks too hard for a mod builder to read through, then this style is not for you as I am not a teacher...you must already "know" what you are doing as to the building of this game in order to see my files and then know right off what and how they work. Simple.
We are asking questions
...no..."we" were not asking questions, you might have been but the other person was not.

What about the Utah sam.
It still crashes for some people if that is what you wish to know. It did not need converted to a sam either…it was built as a self-contained map by Univerisum way back when he first posted it. If I remember correctly, at the time he was blasted for posting such a map built the way he did. Just as I got blasted when I posted my first version of a self-contained map.

I did find a Sid's RailRoads folder that has the Utah sam map files in it. I had forgotten I downloaded it when Dwax was saying it was crashing and the builder of that sam replied to Dwax that he must not like Utah and blamed Dwax for it crashing. I think Dwax posted several more times, and then the trouble was looked at. As Dwax was posting about this issue, I had downloaded it to see if it would crash for me…I believe it ran fine for me. I had totally forgotten it was there till you had mentioned it.

Anyway whatever, I build my scenarios using the games’ default scenario lists, then add a global file if needed for whatever.
Well, then let me get the meaning of that. Since you are posting this after my post, you are talking to me, correct? You have been calling me a retard and vzbob other things and stating that neither of us have made any maps. This all makes the two of us a 'group' This also makes Dwax and Rodea2007 the other 'group'. By this, you were directing the 'hate' part towards Dwax and Rodea2007?

Wasn't this: "BAN Vzbob and RockyHead..." directed at me? Or is there another Rocky that I don't see on this thread?

Question #1) Why do you feel that you have to speak for everyone on this forum?

Question #2) If your maps are finished as you say they are, why do you continue to say they will be posted this weekend or that the final testing is now being done?

Question #3) Why do you continue to insist that SAM maps that are already done need to be removed because they are not needed?

Question #4) What is the meaning of your statement "it may work, but who knows how long"? How can they break down?

Question #5) Why do you continue to slander SAMs?

Question #6) Where is this explanation of Karstens as to what a CIC is?

And finally, Question #7) How can you call your maps 'finished' if you are not done with them, which is shown by you still adding more stuff to them?

There are your questions. How about the answers?

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat May 23, 2009 12:57 am

It is your written speech. You make smart remarks in your questions and you have made challenge questions as well. Those types of smart-mouth behavior statements will surely get a smart reply from me.

Stop asking personal questions, if you have questions about scripting the game or making new game content, or even landscape and scenario questions...those are valid questions.
Why do you continue to insist that SAM maps...What is the meaning of your statement "it may work, but who knows how long"? How can they break down?
Well let’s see...first we have the case you brought up with the Utah sam. The map was already made as a self-contained map. Then because there had to be a sam map of every map on the planet, there was a sam made of the Utah map. The old scenario still runs solid and great till the end…the sam however, to this day still crashes out on many players machines…and I mean it CTD’s right at map load every time.
Now…if you were new arriving at this forum and you saw sam maps everywhere, then you went to the Utah map thread Univerisum made. You would bypass his original files (that work) and download the sam version. Which may promptly do a hard crash.
Now…you as a new member, will think that map is total trash and ignore it from then on. That is wrong to take work someone spent days/weeks/months building, then trash it in front of the world and public.

Was that the way to treat Univerisum and his project? He made the very first self-contained map…way back when. But because others had to grandstand on others projects and take it upon themselves to make changes as well…only to trash said others work. And…when told that the map did not need any conversions as it already plays as a self-contained map…the conversion went on anyway.

That should answer many questions you have and why I say my way seems the best to me. My version works on every system all the time period.

I pulled the works because others were slamming my projects and making threads in other parts of the forum thinking I wouldn’t see/find them. They were made just to trash maps I have made.

I pulled them and said if the harassment and trash threads and posts stop…I would post the new upgraded versions. The version one maps have been pulled off the shelves as it were. I still have the old versions…but I am going to make new threads for the maps, so the v2 files will now be posted. I thought things had quieted down.
Where is this explanation of Karstens as to what a CIC is?

I will look it up, unless he reads this and gives a reply. It wasn’t that long ago. Remember the main thing here is … if a map uses the games default goods and everything else, it can be dropped right into the UserMaps folder and run as a self-contained map with nothing more done to it but what the games’ editor sets up. Plus, those maps that use the games’ default items, may be left inside the usermaps folder…even with a self-contained map in usermaps. You have to remove the self-contained map folder before you play any other maps in the game true enough…but the player need not worry about stripping every map folder from the usermaps folder.

I believe the new scenarios need to be built with the scenario.xml lists the game editor makes when you build a new scenario properly with the editor. Then add a global file or two if you need to add something new to the game. Many maps if not scripted correctly will not play correctly or you cannot return to a saved game you made while playing a given map. Take Basin and Range, beautiful map and scenario…but…it has trouble with the way it was built and is prone to crashing and crashing when trying to return to a saved map.

Making scenarios using only global files and skipping the scenario.mapname.xml lists…is not how the game wants to see the scenario files built. It can cause unforeseen troubles, as we have seen from several sams when they crash for no reason.

So…that is what I mean when I say follow what the game editor builds for a new scenario, then add a global file if needed and the game will let you get by with that. Making maps in notepad and crunching numbers for the location info of everything is not how the game operates. Use the editor…follow what the game leads you to and build from that. If you follow those simple rules, your maps will never fail. I am about done with several tests I am doing in Trainz2009 WBE…I will then address the maps and files.

RockyNarrowGauge

Post by RockyNarrowGauge » Sat May 23, 2009 4:08 am

Lowell wrote:It is your written speech. You make smart remarks in your questions and you have made challenge questions as well. Those types of smart-mouth behavior statements will surely get a smart reply from me.

Stop asking personal questions, if you have questions about scripting the game or making new game content, or even landscape and scenario questions...those are valid questions.
Why do you continue to insist that SAM maps...What is the meaning of your statement "it may work, but who knows how long"? How can they break down?
Well let’s see...first we have the case you brought up with the Utah sam. The map was already made as a self-contained map. Then because there had to be a sam map of every map on the planet, there was a sam made of the Utah map. The old scenario still runs solid and great till the end…the sam however, to this day still crashes out on many players machines…and I mean it CTD’s right at map load every time.
Now…if you were new arriving at this forum and you saw sam maps everywhere, then you went to the Utah map thread Univerisum made. You would bypass his original files (that work) and download the sam version. Which may promptly do a hard crash.
Now…you as a new member, will think that map is total trash and ignore it from then on. That is wrong to take work someone spent days/weeks/months building, then trash it in front of the world and public.

Was that the way to treat Univerisum and his project? He made the very first self-contained map…way back when. But because others had to grandstand on others projects and take it upon themselves to make changes as well…only to trash said others work. And…when told that the map did not need any conversions as it already plays as a self-contained map…the conversion went on anyway.

That should answer many questions you have and why I say my way seems the best to me. My version works on every system all the time period.

I pulled the works because others were slamming my projects and making threads in other parts of the forum thinking I wouldn’t see/find them. They were made just to trash maps I have made.

I pulled them and said if the harassment and trash threads and posts stop…I would post the new upgraded versions. The version one maps have been pulled off the shelves as it were. I still have the old versions…but I am going to make new threads for the maps, so the v2 files will now be posted. I thought things had quieted down.

I will look it up, unless he reads this and gives a reply. It wasn’t that long ago. Remember the main thing here is … if a map uses the games default goods and everything else, it can be dropped right into the UserMaps folder and run as a self-contained map with nothing more done to it but what the games’ editor sets up. Plus, those maps that use the games’ default items, may be left inside the usermaps folder…even with a self-contained map in usermaps. You have to remove the self-contained map folder before you play any other maps in the game true enough…but the player need not worry about stripping every map folder from the usermaps folder.

I believe the new scenarios need to be built with the scenario.xml lists the game editor makes when you build a new scenario properly with the editor. Then add a global file or two if you need to add something new to the game. Many maps if not scripted correctly will not play correctly or you cannot return to a saved game you made while playing a given map. Take Basin and Range, beautiful map and scenario…but…it has trouble with the way it was built and is prone to crashing and crashing when trying to return to a saved map.

Making scenarios using only global files and skipping the scenario.mapname.xml lists…is not how the game wants to see the scenario files built. It can cause unforeseen troubles, as we have seen from several sams when they crash for no reason.

So…that is what I mean when I say follow what the game editor builds for a new scenario, then add a global file if needed and the game will let you get by with that. Making maps in notepad and crunching numbers for the location info of everything is not how the game operates. Use the editor…follow what the game leads you to and build from that. If you follow those simple rules, your maps will never fail. I am about done with several tests I am doing in Trainz2009 WBE…I will then address the maps and files.
personal : Adjective; of the private aspects of a person's life:
Lowell wrote:I will answer any questions. Don't bury them in other ramblings...ask your questions and you will have an answer. I still don't know what this question is I have not answered.
Don't come up with excuses, you said 'any' questions, and there was nothing 'personal' in them. Once you post something on this forum, it becomes public. That is just another excuse not to answer what is put to you.

As to a lot of what you call rambling, It takes a bit to wade thru what you just keep repeating instaed of answering the questions you asked for.

Utah SAM - first, the original version required an installer and shifting of files to run other maps. Second, the SAM, 1 member failed to be able to load it and 1 member had problems because of how he CHOOSE to load it. It eventually worked for him. Two does not constitute many. And it did work for you which is shown by the screen shot you posted. Who was it that these 'many players' reported these CTDs to?

The next paragraph is explained by the one above.

Now, if a map is a total crash the first time, then no one will load it ever again? Your maps crashed the first time, and when they did work, there were things wrong with them. It took you over 6 months to find a missing annex. And a lot of the members made repairs on posted maps, snoopy55 had a large part in that. And Atani went in and made installers for all of the maps, making changes where needed to make them work in the global style. I do not see you complaining about that. And I see no one complaining about their maps being made into SAMs. It is not your place to do that, unless I was left out of the 'Forum Controller Lowell" election. Cool Off!

Why don't you ask Univerisum to make the complaint. And the big complaint by you was done AFTER the map was made into a SAM, NOT before. The solution is very simple, as you have prooved, if you do not like the idea of a map being made into a SAM, don't download it! Stop complaining about something that was posted 10 months ago.

Tell me, for everyone to read, what is it you want, every SAM to be removed off of this forum? Well, I think that is up to the person who originally wrote the first version of the map, not you or anyone else. And votes will not do either, this is a forum, not a democracy. Heck, start up a thrwead with a poll and ask how many people think the SAMs should be removed. Also, the SAMs left on the forum are in the original map makers thread, so in effect, they can remove them at any time they choose.

YOU play every SAM and load it correctly, then you can complain about them crashing. Until then, as you so often say, you need to stay out of what you cannot proove.
Lowell wrote:That should answer many questions you have and why I say my way seems the best to me. My version works on every system all the time period.
THAT right there totally explains what you want. You want ALL the SAMs removed, no one to convert any maps to any other style, and only your CIC style to be allowed. Well, your maps are to big for some systems. I have a friend that cannot run them because of the size of them. Jancsika and a few others are making SAM maps, and they seem to be working. I have had only a few problems, and snoopy55 and his group quickly repaired them. Can't say that for your maps.

One person started a thread to discuss a map of yours because you said people should stop complaining about things that were wrong with your map on your maps thread. And tell me, what did they try to do, cast a spell over the thread so you could not find it? Your maps had and still have problems. If people can not tell you about these problems, how can you expect to fix them? You stated what you did not want, and you got your wish. People can start a thread anywhere on this forum about anything having to do with the game. Cool Off!
Lowell wrote:Plus, those maps that use the games’ default items, may be left inside the usermaps folder…even with a self-contained map in usermaps. You have to remove the self-contained map folder before you play any other maps in the game true enough…but the player need not worry about stripping every map folder from the usermaps folder.
No, you are wrong here. If you have a SAM, or a CIC that contains only the required items in the global xml files in UserMaps, unless the non-SAM'd map ONLY requires the items in those maps, it will fail. The rest of that is contridictory in it's wording.....I think.....

And then you go on to say that you believe that any new maps need to be built as yours are.

And again, Which are these crashing SAMs you speak so much about? How do you know if you have never played them? And do not say that people PM you about them. That makes them look stupid as the only people that can fix them are the one who wrote them. And you need to remember Lowell, you are stepping on Jancsika, vzbob who have posted SAMs and a few others who are talking about making SAMs. SAMs have been working for over 1 1/2 years now. What are these 'unforseen troubles' you speak of and who has spoken of them crashing for no reason?

And tell me one more thing. Where was it ever written that SAMs are made without using the Editor? If the SAMs were made from existing maps, and those maps were made using the Editor, guess what, the SAMs were made using the Editor.

Also, you need the Editor to landscape the map. You need it to place the cities. You can use the existing annexed industries to place industries, then take those locations and apply them to the mods you put in your map. Yes, I do know. It is how I'm making my map.

This game DOES know how to play SAMs, it does so for many people, and will continue to do so. Just stop attacking SAMs, which you have stated many times that you have not played, and finish you CICs

Just a note here. There are over 75 SAM maps done and only two do not seem to work, for only one person. You have 3 CIC maps that you are still working on. I'd say those were great odds, wouldn't you?

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Sat May 23, 2009 5:47 am

Lowell wrote:It is your written speech. You make smart remarks in your questions and you have made challenge questions as well. Those types of smart-mouth behavior statements will surely get a smart reply from me.

I See he still has to make up more excuses for himself. He can't even answer simple questions to him without claiming they are personal to which i can not see anyone asking any personal questions. And now he is speculating on what people may or may not do.

Sam maps were as "what is the name he used oh yeah" harassed and bashed as well by "him" but were those maps "pulled", Nope they are all still available.

As everyone can see "he" is just going to make more excuses for "himself", then blame everyone else for his failings and try to get people "banned for asking questions or telling him his mods/maps have a problem" that he claims to work perfectly.
Wonder what new excuses he will make up next.
All these questions asked through out this thread and he picks and chooses what he wants to answer and then conveniently forgets the rest.

"Lowell, if you want the Utah SAM removed, you need to get a hold of Universum and tell him it needs to be removed."

And as for the hate parts in this thread it is all created by the one person who created the thread as he hates anyone that reports a problem or asks a simple question, and hates them for telling the truth.
Such a waste of time and energy....

dwax

Post by dwax » Sat May 23, 2009 1:27 pm

vzbob or snoopy or who ever you are.... Get a life!

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat May 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Dwax, please.
Let them be! As long as they are civil to each other and don't use foul language it is just a long and boring argument.
...and please leave Snoopy out of the references. We do miss his expertise on this forum. The proper thing would be to have him back here.
Jancsika

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Sat May 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Jancsika wrote:Dwax, please.
Let them be! As long as they are civil to each other and don't use foul language it is just a long and boring argument.
...and please leave Snoopy out of the references. We do miss his expertise on this forum. The proper thing would be to have him back here.
Jancsika
It is OK Jancsika I am not worried about him I have been civil but he just wants to create more issues. I have a good life by the way and it seems a lot better than his.
And it not an argument its a discussion with questions that need answers.
I just think questions have been raised and they deserve to be answered properly without all the beating around the bush so what is his problem with that. As he would say to me, If you don't like what is said then stay out of it, but that does not solve any of the problem, except to show people how he works his way out of not answering them properly.
But do you notice that they always blame poor snoopy for everything even when he is not here anymore, I am not snoopy55 Dwax I am me vzbob on this forum and a lot of other forums and bobby on my own.
Oh well it take all kinds.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sun May 24, 2009 1:48 am

Look...I am not trying to make any "issues" here. I said that if you guys wished to make a sam version of the new version2 of each when I get them posted, that I would not say anything about it. And...if anyone posts something about your files I would pass the info along so you could fix "your own files." Then please if you post your version on your site, simply post "my link" to my file download so people can make their own choice.

Is that bad :?:

Forget "my opinion" of what "I think" of sams. The only reason I am typing that word is because we keep talking about it. I don’t wish to talk about the issue anymore. Just let me finish the new versions, post those so everyone else can have them…then if you wish to make a special version all I ask is play fair and I will not make any more negative comments about sams…period. If the bugs are worked out in all the bbs’ and the things are running fine now, then there is no issue.

Just drop all the past stuff. We all have had to rebuild everything for this game from scratch several times. The files are not that much different anyway. We all learn as we progress in this, I learn new stuff too you know…plus we can never stop learning all through life. What do I know about sams anyway…I have only seen a couple, and remember only the bad posts from the past. So I should not judge anyway. Allot of time has past and I am sure they run fine now. Dwax still says the Utah sam still crashes, and I said it ran fine for me and I made a screenshot and posted it. The Santa sam2 or whatever it was, looked great file structure wise and ran fine.

Allot has changed in a year.
Peace…stay cool 8)

RockyNarrowGauge

Post by RockyNarrowGauge » Thu May 28, 2009 4:59 am

Well Lowell, it's good that you have changed your mind about SAMs and BBs, because.......They're Baaacccckkkkkk!!!!!

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Thu May 28, 2009 7:33 pm

That has nothing to do with my mods or me for this game. I use the games default xml listings and change what I need from there. I haven't changed my mind about anything...you are the one that has to worry about using those things...and if they don't work, you won't understand anything about fixing whatever. :lol:

I could care less about those stupid bbs or your map-making, this is a thread dedicated to Mud Skippers.

Furthermore, your comments have nothing to do with this thread, as none of what you are talking about exist on my maps...so your post belongs on another thread and not here.

Your post needs moved from this thread.

atani

Post by atani » Thu May 28, 2009 8:31 pm

If I still had my moderator status I would remove a number of posts from the board that are nothing more than flames between various people. All of which should be kept to PM and not out in the public.

RockyNarrowGauge

Post by RockyNarrowGauge » Fri May 29, 2009 2:06 am

Lowell wrote:Look...I am not trying to make any "issues" here. I said that if you guys wished to make a sam version of the new version2 of each when I get them posted, that I would not say anything about it. And...if anyone posts something about your files I would pass the info along so you could fix "your own files." Then please if you post your version on your site, simply post "my link" to my file download so people can make their own choice.

Is that bad :?:

Forget "my opinion" of what "I think" of sams. The only reason I am typing that word is because we keep talking about it. I don’t wish to talk about the issue anymore. Just let me finish the new versions, post those so everyone else can have them…then if you wish to make a special version all I ask is play fair and I will not make any more negative comments about sams…period. If the bugs are worked out in all the bbs’ and the things are running fine now, then there is no issue.

Just drop all the past stuff. We all have had to rebuild everything for this game from scratch several times. The files are not that much different anyway. We all learn as we progress in this, I learn new stuff too you know…plus we can never stop learning all through life. What do I know about sams anyway…I have only seen a couple, and remember only the bad posts from the past. So I should not judge anyway. Allot of time has past and I am sure they run fine now. Dwax still says the Utah sam still crashes, and I said it ran fine for me and I made a screenshot and posted it. The Santa sam2 or whatever it was, looked great file structure wise and ran fine.

Allot has changed in a year.
Peace…stay cool 8)
RockyNarrowGauge wrote:Well Lowell, it's good that you have changed your mind about SAMs and BBs, because.......They're Baaacccckkkkkk!!!!!
Lowell wrote:That has nothing to do with my mods or me for this game. I use the games default xml listings and change what I need from there. I haven't changed my mind about anything...you are the one that has to worry about using those things...and if they don't work, you won't understand anything about fixing whatever. :lol:

I could care less about those stupid bbs or your map-making, this is a thread dedicated to Mud Skippers.

Furthermore, your comments have nothing to do with this thread, as none of what you are talking about exist on my maps...so your post belongs on another thread and not here.

Your post needs moved from this thread.
As you said in your post Lowell, "Peace…stay cool". The SAM's were removed by snoopy55. In your post above mine you said they were probably running fine now, then complimented the Santa SAM2. All I did was, in a joking way, tell you they were back, and you blast off the deep end.

I could make a number of replies to you like you did to me, but I'll keep it cool: Peace Dude :D , Stay Cool :mrgreen: !

atani

Post by atani » Fri May 29, 2009 4:28 am

Using the SAM2 (maybe also on the original versions) I have noticed a couple things:

1) Empty car images are missing for a few types, I believe Mud Pottery was one.
2) Where do you delivery Mud Cakes to?

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri May 29, 2009 7:33 am

The era2 pottery car was missing the dds image file at one time, that was fixed way back. The auto cars were also edited for their size/length.

There are eighteen town/city levels in Mud Skippers. Mud Cakes are one of the main food sources and are requested starting at...

<CityType>
<szName>Rual Out Level 2</szName>
<Size>4</Size>
<Resource>
<Input>Mud Cakes</Input>
<Output>None</Output>
<InputOutputRatio>0.000000</InputOutputRatio>
<MaxStorage>0.000000</MaxStorage>
</Resource>

<RRTIndustry>
<szName>Mud Cakes Factory</szName>
<Production>
<Resource>
<Input>Grain</Input>
<Output>Mud Cakes</Output>
<InputOutputRatio>1.0</InputOutputRatio>
</Resource>
</Production>

By scenario end in Era 3, 200 cars must be delivered.

<GoodsListItem>
<szGood>Mud Cakes</szGood>
<iCarloads>200</iCarloads>
<szCityFrom>ANY_CITY</szCityFrom>
<szCityTo>ANY_CITY</szCityTo>
</GoodsListItem>

I have completed swapping out the cargo ships and docks.

I wonder if I should make a new thread or just use this same one.

atani

Post by atani » Fri May 29, 2009 2:29 pm

Great thanks.. I somehow missed some of that. I would suggest a new thread as this one is rather cluttered with off topic discussions.