Meierville

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
jowe10

Post by jowe10 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:45 pm

Snoopy55 wrote:
jowe10 - I HATE YOU !! My head hates you ! My 'map to be' hates you !
Well, A tad strong I think. I warned everyone that this was version 1 and if they were not comfortable with "testing" they should probably wait for the next version. The map works fine on both of my computers. Why it is crashing for others seems to have baffled even the experts here. But that is the issue with this quirky game.

I appreciate you trying to figure out why the game is crashing for others, but I would say you have stuck with it too long if it is causing you so much frustration. I hope you get a good nights sleep tonight.

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:36 pm

Snoopy IS our tester! If he does not test no map is going to go very far.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:55 am

jowe10 - Hey, that part was a joke... :lol: .. I've always been one for finding out how something works and using that to the best advantige I can. As far as it working on your systems, you can try something for us, remove the entry you have for the Saddles in your GLOBALS. The whole thing is, anything that is fully coded(?) in a maps XMLs should not have to be fully coded in the GLOBALS. Your Saloon and Bank prove that, along with your Saddle Manufacturer. None of them are in GLOBALS, but they still work. It was easy to find out what wasn't working, just remove them one at a time until the map worked. Then remove the City for the Saddle Manufacturer, at which time the map would work until you tried to place it. But it was the Saddles themselves that caused the problem, and that should NOT have happened UNTIL you tried to operate the Saddle Manufacturer (I think, haven't tried something like that yet). A map will play fine without a Car for a Good until you try to ship it.
Also, try your map with the full code for the Saddles in the GLOBALS and the minimum code in the map. That's how it should end up being done in the Installer.

And Warll, don't say a map don't run until I test it. I dig into a map that won't work for others and assist others with mapping problems. People CAN and HAVE done maps without me. I do tear maps apart on my own system and do alot of editing, but that is for my own use and needs, because of the way I want them on my system. Some of it I hope to pass on.

And Jowe10, you say this game is 'quirky'! I also play UT2004, which uses MUCH more graphics than this game, but it uses much less memory to play even 20 to 25 bots! I have to say this game was poorly programed, and I have done a bit of that in my time.

As to the remark about the problems with maps lately, the more that is created for this game, the more difficult it becomes to mold a map with it. There are nine files that we must mold and shape, and a part left out of one can cause the whole thing to collapse. Then there are eight more that we can tinker with, again, the wrong thing can cause a problem. Then we have to gather all this stuff up and send it out to a few thousand people to load into a few thousand different systems with a variation of around 13 different modded maps. and again, if we make one single change and it slips our minds, it will be on our system and not on the ones it's loaded into. And now we find another quirk added into the kettle and it changes the brew a bit more. And all of the above is funneled thru a single file, the Scenario XML, and it must all work together like a movie with a full orchestra with a full chorus and a full crew with a full stage and a full staff and a full snack bar, with none of them able to talk to one another, and they must satisfy each of us in our own way as some of us throw in our own changes in how it's all to be done. And darn if the whole things frame wasn't slapped together in a big rush to get it out the door before Christmas! (deep breath...)

No, the mappers are not to blame for any problem that are found.

And if I didn't have this to do, this computer would get rather boring... :evil:

:twisted:
Last edited by snoopy55 on Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:00 am

Ok, more like what I meant was that you do by far most of testing that goes on in this forum.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:03 am

Ah yes, you young'uns need to learn to say what you mean better so you can mean what you say. :wink:

And thanks :P

Now go learn how to Edit graphics!!!

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:06 am

I need a gooder edcumation.

jowe10

Post by jowe10 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:52 am

Snoopy55:

Results of testing the globals on my system:

With full definition of saddles in local goods xml file and nothing in globals, I CTD upon loading the map.

With minimum saddle entry:

<Good>
<szName>Saddles</szName>
</Good>

in the local good xml file and full definition in globals (as installer would do) I run OK.

This is the quirky part I speak of. I have found the same thing with events. The only way I can get custom events to work is to fully define the event in the global and put a minimum reference in the local event xml file. With industries, I can fully define them in the local and have nothing in the global and it would work. This would be the ideal way as it would make troublshooting easier and eliminate conflicts with other maps. However, the magic of how this game works behind the scenes is a mystery to me.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:16 am

This reviels a problem we have. When a Mapper creates a map, he needs to research it to the point of posting everything he has in his system to get the map to work. you had things in GLOBALS that we knew nothing of. Of course, alot of the time the only way to find these things is to post the 'beta' version and let us vicous drueling railroad tycoons to run it, or try to. :wink:

Fully defining things in GLOBALS and minimum in Locals should always work. This is the gist of what we have made this into. And, it's what makes others able to use what you have created.

See what you can do to get most of it into GLOBALS. Or leave it as is and let the Installer Creater decide what is to go where.

K-class

Post by K-class » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:44 am

Hello confirm with jowe10 above

bare entry in RRT_Goods_MeierVille.xml and full description in global goods.

Have not played the map this time through to confirm no CTD's but now loads with all my other maps and other maps like Amerigonia load.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:08 am

snoopy55 wrote:Leave it to a Donkey.....

When you pasted the section in you over wrote a line in the section above it. Look to the uploaded file for what I mean. If you have a different set installed, just redo the section I have marked and if you have made an error (if you are using Notepad++) it will let you know. If you are not using it, it may be a good reason to when you are editing.

:lol: At least you said Donkey, instead of some other. :D And I was in a hurry, late for work. :twisted:

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:18 am

snoopy, is that RRT_Goods.zip that you uploaded for globals? I'm confused,I gave you two files 1 global, and one from the map. What is the one you uploaded? :oops:

Edit:
Never mind. I got it running. :P

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:34 am

Ass it didn't have the maps name in it, it must have been for the GLOBALS.....

(did i spell that correctly??)

(and that wasn't foul language, it's the name of an animal...)

(and no, i didn't care for the movie.....)

Jancsika

Re: Meierville

Post by Jancsika » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:04 am

Somehow defective SAM maps are in circulation at both on Simple map and Bobby's place.
I have made some corrections and uploaded into the first post.
Jancsika