Amerigonia 1.0

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
Warll

Post by Warll » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:09 pm

Yes that has to be removed. What you will have to do is delete your SMR folder in your "My games" folder. Then run SMR once and install SMRI again. Should be all fixed now.

Ungabunga

Post by Ungabunga » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:36 pm

Woot that worked...um...why did that work?

Warll

Post by Warll » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:44 pm

When Fraxis coded the XML for that map they did not use the GLOBAL system they themselves basically invented. Its works so long as its the only map, which is fine since most people only install that one map and don't find their way here.

Ug i can't explain it that well, just don't worry yourself about it.

Ungabunga

Post by Ungabunga » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:58 pm

No that was great! I actually understood what you were saying :) Thanks for your help

Star Ranger4

Post by Star Ranger4 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:19 am

Hey Dr Frag...

Did you realise that the Lumber mills dont need workers? I assumed that it did, like all the other resources on the map till the game said "your picking up passengers but not delivering them anywhere..."

Was this intentional, or did you just miss changing the lumber mill in the face of all the other work that went into this scenario?

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:43 pm

Yes, this was sort of intentional. ATM I can't remember why really but we'll just say that the workers all live in the surrounding forest and can walk to work. :wink:

sherc

Post by sherc » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:34 am

i've just finished it with 20y remaining :D it's absolutely fantastic scenario :) it was very fun to play

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:36 am

Thank You, glad you enjoyed it.

karsten

Post by karsten » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:38 pm

the Lumber mills dont need workers
I think one could rationalize that quite well, in the sense that wood tended to be an almost "free" natural resource, available without much capital investment. Everything else, mines, cattle, sheep, corn, you need to invest a lot of capital, which is sort of "accumulated workers"

I liked Amerigonia very much, but I am not fully sure about the longterm viability of the people -> production concept. I once read 10 do's and don'ts of good modding, and one point of advice was to change as little as possible from the original game, have something new only if it supports an enjoyable new objective etc. It is enjoyable in Amerigonia, but it may be less so in other maps.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:10 am

Well the lumbermen around here ask for a pretty penny for cutting down those sticky pines. I ruined three pairs of closes cutting down big pines for my art studio building. Pine sap everywhere...all you can do is throw them away.

So you won't find any "free resources" around here :D they want a thousand dollars a tree :!: I'd hire those guys back... :lol: and put them back to cutting those trees...just kidding...

Warll wrote:Yes that has to be removed. What you will have to do is delete your SMR folder in your "My games" folder. Then run SMR once and install SMRI again. Should be all fixed now.
Then don't forget to reinstall all your new train engines, as SMRI doesn't have the F-B Unit or the 4400, no dual default GP7's or GP38's. The Basin and Range engines are nice, but I have problems using them on my maps. So they are no use to me...we need all the default engines in first. This will break several/all maps if not done.

karsten

Re:

Post by karsten » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:44 pm

karsten wrote:
I liked Amerigonia very much, but I am not fully sure about the longterm viability of the people -> production concept.
Guess I was wrong there, it seems to be one of the most popular map concepts, used to balance the abundance of money later in the game.
:D
We live and learn!