Basin And Range map

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
maciekish

Re: Basin And Range map

Post by maciekish » Sat May 08, 2010 7:47 am

I love this map and it realy poses a challenge compared to the original maps. However, now after reinstalling my computer i have a problem with the map.

When trying to connect Dead Horse with Lost Well (two top-right-most cities) the cost for the tunnel is well above hundreds of millions of $. As soon as a tunnel appears on a track i want to build, the cost skyrockets and i cannot connect any town. I have version 1.0a.

Whats wrong?

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat May 08, 2010 1:42 pm

Whats wrong?
Probably, there is some other map installed.
As I recall the Basin and Range map does not change the tunnel cost.( It was long time ago I've played it.)

Try this:
In order to play most of the custom maps you must have a completely empty C:\user\users\“My Games\Sid Meier’s Railroads!” folder.
The simplest way is to delete or rename the folder and let the game create a new one.
Once you deleted the C:\user\users\“My Games\Sid Meier’s Railroads!” folder and start a new stock game, the program will look for this folder. If it can not find one, it will automatically create one.
Now you will have an empty and completely clean folder and you can install the new custom map as the map's creator directs.
Jancsika

recast

Post by recast » Sun May 09, 2010 10:12 am

CRC ERROR CRC ERROR CRC ERROR.....AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

installer part 1, both winrar & 7z report crc error...
The same things happen with brcustomassets.part01 & part 02....

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sun May 09, 2010 3:22 pm

CRC ERROR CRC ERROR CRC ERROR
Have you tried all this?? :?: :idea:
Cyclic Redundancy Check or CRC error.
Cause:
This error message could be generated by any of the below reasons.
1. During the transmission of the file it became corrupt or bad
2. The file was sent inappropriately
3. The device being opened from is bad or contains errors
4. The file itself is bad or the program attempting to open the file is bad.
Solution:
Network / Modem transmission issues
If you are attempting to open the file from a network / modem it is likely the network either is encountering collisions or other errors during the data transmission. Note: if the file is being sent through a session such as FTP or Telnet it is possible that it may not be sent properly. If the file is a text file, the file must be sent as either ASCII or TEXT mode. If, however, the file is a program or non-text file, it must be sent as a Binary file.
• Attempt to re-send the file.
• Try Alternate method of sending the file.
• Verify the file was sent properly (ASCII / TEXT / Binary)
• Verify with Network Administrator that the network is not experiencing issues.

CD issues
If the file is being opened from a CD-ROM it is possible the CD is dirty or scratched causing read errors. If the CD was burned it is possible that it was burned improperly.
• Clean the CD-ROM
• Re-burn the software
File is bad or program attempting to open the file is bad
Finally, if the file is being opened from the hard disk drive or other media, it is likely that the file is corrupted or the program opening the file is corrupted.
• Download the file again.
• Reinstall the program being used to open the file
• Attempt to open with a different program
• If the file is on the hard disk drive, run scandisk / defrag

• Assume the file is bad and cannot be recovered
Jancsika

Warll

Post by Warll » Tue May 11, 2010 12:14 am

Try using the file from here: http://www.smrsimple.com/2009/06/basin-range/

BandOFan

Single Player?

Post by BandOFan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:32 pm

choobacca wrote:Here are some tips on starting this map.

From any of the starting locations, you should be able to create a passenger route and freight route with the easier difficulties. I always build as much track as I can afford starting out, making sure to buy depots. Then when almost all of my money is spent, I buy engines. (You can buy engines with a negative bank account, but not buy track.) Then I can usually create one passenger train (I usually wait for the first Super Chief to arrive) and one or two freight trains depending on the difficulty.

If starting at Poison Mesa, connect to Hidden Splendor as Hidden Splendor brings in money fast with all the food processing. Then if you are able to connect to Cathedral Valley, your passenger income should receive a boost as Hidden Splendor and Cathedral Valley are two of the larger Towns. Then I'll run a track diagonally on the map from Cathedral Valley to Dead Horse and branch a coal line and taconite ore line. I always use two coal trains to meet the coal objectives.
I always rely on my passenger income to accomplish all this, so you will probably need 2 passenger lines to complete Era 1.

The hardest part is routing the taconite -> steel -> arms.
I take it from this description and from my initial stab at this mod that this is to be played with no AI players? I can't see how it is playable otherwise. On my initial try one of the AI's started in the only town near me and immediately built a passenger route to my town, making it impossible for me to make any money. Was playing Hard/Mogul . Am I wrong or did I just get a bad start?

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:36 pm

I would agree. The map intentionally makes it hard to generate cash initially. But if you manage to make the connection Hidden Splendor and Cathedral Valley, after a while, cash starts to pour in. Then you might try to buy out a single AI in a far corner. But if that AI comes and competes near to you, as you say, you're probably dead. 8)

efast

Post by efast » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:06 pm

would be great to see B&R 2 or similar maps. One of the best Mods for SMR

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:56 pm

would be great to see B&R 2 or similar maps
The creator of Basin nad Range does not participate in the forum any more :cry:
You ought to try "Utah" map. If i remember correctly that came not long after B&R.
Also BC_Gold, AZ_Canyon, Side to Side are interesting maps.
Jancsika