Basin & Range Demo map

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:41 pm

Chewy - here are the pics I told you about.
Attachments
pics.zip
(12.7 MiB) Downloaded 309 times
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

dick810

Post by dick810 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:28 pm

how come there is no response to my note? changeing shader to medium cause system to crawl!
amd 3500 64
2 gig memory
200 and 13 gig hard drive
fx 5200 256 meg
on board soound
dsl
dvd and cd burner
and a ancient 1.44 floppy which i keep tansplanting

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:45 pm

dick810 wrote:how come there is no response to my note? changeing shader to medium cause system to crawl!
Medium shaders add more detail to everything in the map, so your system might have to work harder. For me the change to Medium Shaders had very little effect on performance.
You could also check your other video settings, mainly resolution. If you are running higher than 1024x768, you may want to reduce this.

Otherwise, there is a downloadable map earlier in this thread that will work with Low Shaders. You may need to download and use this one.
http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... 4936#14936

K-class

Post by K-class » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:54 am

I have left Medium Shaders on on my low speced machine and I don't really notice any slow down as the maps look so much better.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:03 pm

A buddy of mine that also has the game had a 5600 GeForce card...(old.) It wouldn't do shaders without bringing the pc to a crawl. I upgraded his system, motherboard and all. He runs fine now.

Most all of these maps will need at least medium shaders to run. On high altitude maps with no or low shaders...when laying track it will rip the landscape and place the land and track in water. The Santa map had blue snow as well. Shaders do more than just add tint to the color of the textures.

gforce

Post by gforce » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:31 pm

Distribution center:
I've got the following problem
When placing a distribution center with the editor,
missing dcdriveway_diff.dds file
, i took a look in the basinandrangedemo.fpk and there is no dcdriveway_diff.dds file to be found.
Does someone has this file????

i've got even a crash when i create my own distribution center and place it in the editor, if i place the original distribution center the same error but no crash

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:50 pm

gforce,

Sorry about this. I thought I had removed the reference to that file in the .nif model, but apparently not. I have attached the only files needed for the Distribution Center, so pop these into your CustomAssets and the editor should no longer complain.

Thanks for telling me about this gforce.
Attachments
distributioncenter.zip
model and texture file for Distribution Center
(175.46 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:13 am

choobacca wrote:
snoopy55 wrote:choobacca, Big Papa - in trying to change the icon for the containers I run into the little problem of the programs I use, IrfanView, IcoFX and Paint Shop Pro 7 are going to be hard to use with the structure of the icon you made. My finals on the containers themselves are poor next to yours, I didn't get into the deep detail as I only used 2 colors for each one. The icons use a whole lot of colors. Any thoughts on programs to use that don't cost? (hey, I can't even afford to replace my soapbox..... :roll: )
Snoopy,
I use PSP7 and PhotoShop. PSP doesn't handle the Alpha layers though, so this might be your problem. Your containers look good, but if you want to finish up your icons as best you can, I can look at them and recommend options, or even clean them up for you.
OK, I'm working on map making, so I'm wondering if you have the time to give some instruction on the icon adjustments you mention above. Maybe one of us can put it in a lesson plan, or you can PM it to as such and I'll include it in my lessons, with your name attached. The Coffee Plantation included works, but hasn't been published yet.
Attachments
Files With Icons.zip
(5.87 MiB) Downloaded 295 times
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....