New map Spain

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:38 am

Let me see if I got this straight:

1) produced food, left it there

2) produced food, shipped it out where it was not needed

3) no food produced, but sent passengers and mail to next town

As I've seen it, you can make hamburger all you want and still get credit for livestock delivery. And you said "You get full credit for it but you loose money for train maintenance." Are you talking about credit in the making, or the taking?
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

martys55

Post by martys55 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:43 pm

The way I saw it, I produced goods, but just left them at the station because I had no place to deliver them. The goods sat and the city did not grow. Next time I tried (from a saved game) and I decided to pick up the goods and basically dump them at the next stop (who didn't demand them). Before long the city that produced the goods and had them picked up grew to the next size. So, in my mind letting goods sit around is not a good thing to do.
I can here the little sims saying "why bother working when no one wants what we make"? Little do they know we just dump them as soon as we can. Sometime those little sims are not the smartest...lol

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:49 pm

What they need is when you hit the max in the warehouse, no more goods are accepted.
Alot of it has to do with map planning also. You give Villages and Towns, with the Towns producing say, Beer, but only the Metropolises will accept Beer. About all you can do is Mail, Passengers and Food. And sometimes you don't even get that.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Tazz

Re: New map Spain

Post by Tazz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:07 am

Added Installer and SAM version to first post.

Jatbaron

Post by Jatbaron » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:37 am

:D I started this Map Feb 20th, Tycoon level, Med Routing, with one (1) AI on Windows 7, 64 bit, 4 GB RAM with NVIDIA Ge Force 9800 GT, 1GB Ram, my system is all update, still had crashes. I could not tone my system down, and after finishing the first 3 requirements, I had to transfer to my other PC, Windows XP, Serv Pack 2, 32 bit, 640 MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX5500 with 256 MB RAM to finish the game which I "Won" on March 9th. The original design intent of Sid Meier's RR was never intended for this large a Map with many complex items.

Jatbaron

Post by Jatbaron » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:24 am

:D I did not get to post my attachments to my comments on this map which I won on all sections.
Attachments
Victory
Victory
The style bridge is appropriate for this location
The style bridge is appropriate for this location
Madrid has two (2) Terminals
Madrid has two (2) Terminals
none
none

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:22 am

1) AI on Windows 7, 64 bit, 4 GB RAM with NVIDIA Ge Force 9800 GT, 1GB Ram, my system is all update, still had crashes.
The crashes are not necessarily coming from your system. This is an older map and we have “discovered” several nuisance bugs since and the newer maps are less prone to crash.
I see you have a pretty good machine, so why don’t you try Rodea’s Borneo, or Lowell’s Florida Gold 400, or my NAFTA Phase II.
The Borneo map is the biggest map created thus far.
…..and if you have any problems, just ask. We are glad to help.
Jancsika

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Thanks to Jatbaron, I gave this scenario another try, and what an experience it is! I could only manage by following Universum's tips. Immediately after completing the first era, one has to start moving the 600 passengers from Madrid, otherwise there is little chance of fulfilling the goal by 2010. To achieve a sufficient number of trains circulating, I made use of Universum's triangle tactic, which I call the "eye" routing. In the example below, the train is always forced left, since Sevilla is reachable only by taking the left route and on return, the train is again forced left, since that is the only way to reach Toledo. Thus three or four trains can circulate quickly without colliding with each other.

This map deserves to be updated to serve as a challenge for the more experienced players! Unfortunately, the SAM version posted has lost its specific events file, so the SAM scenario crashes at the first random event (how did you fix that, Jatbaron?)

The speed record goal is buggy, sometimes it triggers with little effort, sometimes not at all, and there is no feedback by SMR on what the problem is.

As Universum mentioned, the rivers are not very attractive.

I fixed these issues for myself before playing, ie I relandscaped with proper rivers, added the missing files, and simplified the speed record (Sevilla-Madrid only). With that, it was great fun to play (see screenshots). If there is interest, I can upload the updated scenario to the forum. It is 3MB compressed due to the inclusion of the locomotive tender files, however, so it would probably have to go via Warll's website. :D
Attachments
2010-03-15_200858.jpg
Spain Sevilla eye.jpg
Spain Routes 01.jpg
Spain RL01.jpg
Spain Coal.jpg

Tactician

Post by Tactician » Sat May 29, 2010 6:34 am

cannot play and rate this map it is epically crashtastic tried over 8 times always randomly crashed everytime. this is the 1st map so far i have d/l from these forums that ever crashed all others thus far were crash free

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:41 pm

The crashes are caused by the missing Events file.
This is an older map. It was made before it was discovered that if and when the games Events file calls for an event that uses Goods not in the map, it will crash. Since the crashes were random it took quite a while to come to that conclusion.
The simplest remedy is to use an Event file only with “Global Random Events.”

In this case just add the enclosed file to the
C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\UserMaps\Spain folder.

(The RRT_Scenario_user_spain.XML file is correct, you don’t have to change it)
Jancsika
Attachments
RRT_Events_spain.rar
(175 Bytes) Downloaded 344 times

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:39 am

As noted, above, I fixed these issues for myself in a new version, ie I relandscaped the map with attractive rivers, I added the missing files, and simplified the speed record, the latter fixing a major hassle.
I am travelling in China currently, but I will post my version La lluvia en Sevilla es una maravilla - also known as "The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain" :D :D when I am back.