Australia

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
CobraDriver

Post by CobraDriver » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:24 pm

Am I missing something here...does this map have objectives?

Cause it is a really nice looking map but.......well, I'm not much for just bouncing around without a challenge.

Just wonderin,

CD

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:49 pm

tomasvicente38 was a very good map maker while he was with us. Like me, he was not very good at Victory Conditions, and like me and a few others, there was never anyone to assist in this field. It's no different than half the original maps that came with the game.

You sound like you could write up a few yourself, and Tomas was all for anyone adding to his maps. I and a few others translated most of his maps.

Give it a try! :wink:
Last edited by snoopy55 on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

CobraDriver

Post by CobraDriver » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:42 pm

well, thx but I wouldn't even know where to start.

I leave the programming to you geniuses :lol:

CD

CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:08 pm

CobraDriver wrote:well, thx but I wouldn't even know where to start.

I leave the programming to you geniuses :lol:

CD
Programming? If you call copy, paste, and editing victory conditions in the scenario XMLs programming, I guess that's what we are doing.
Just opening up one of the existing scenario.xml files into an XML editor should help in giving you a clue as to what it takes to create one of your own. 8)
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200

dwax

Re: Australia

Post by dwax » Mon May 26, 2008 9:26 am

What ever happened to tomasvicente38? He made some good maps, hope he is still making them. :mrgreen:

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon May 26, 2008 7:45 pm

Well Dwax, now we know what you do all day.....

I think tomasvicente38 left us because, like me, he couldn't do the scenery to well. He asked people to do it for him and got no replies. Tijer has been working on one of them and is thinking about doing them all. I said 'thinking', don't get excited... He was working on other things at the time so he couldn't do them for Tomas.

We really need a few other of our regulars to learn a few things about the game to help people like him and others who want to do things, but don't know how. Burlington-Northern has been really working on engines lately, and I personally am glad to have him with us.

Some of you have a gift of doing something in this game, other than playing the maps, open up and volunteer to give some help via Email to someone who wants to learn and assist others..... Come on Dwax, you DO have better things to do than dance around....and don't say you don't know how to do some of these things, remember, we were all in that state at one time...... :mrgreen:

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:15 pm

Added SAM version to first post.

karsten

Re:

Post by karsten » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:24 am

CalmDragon wrote:
CobraDriver wrote:well, thx but I wouldn't even know where to start.

I leave the programming to you geniuses :lol: CD
Programming? If you call copy, paste, and editing victory conditions in the scenario XMLs programming, I guess that's what we are doing.
Just opening up one of the existing scenario.xml files into an XML editor should help in giving you a clue as to what it takes to create one of your own. 8)
Actually, I think CobraDriver has a valid point. Most programmers take .net building blocks to build a program these days. The real work is in conceptualizing how the blocks will work together in a new product, not in reinventing the wheel by re-writing the blocks yourself. So, yes, I think CobraDriver is right, it does take work, time and dedication to select and modify the right building blocks to provide the foundation for a good scenario. Writing the scenario itself is, of course, the most difficult. Some keen new mapmakers underestimate that. Others are "natural geniuses", who don't even realize that they are writing a good story where most others would struggle. :D The downside is that they often cannot repeat the magic of their first scenario.

Tazz

Post by Tazz » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:25 am

Added SAM version of Australia 2 to first post.

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:03 pm

While some of these points were addressed to some degree... I just wanted to add what I noticed on multiplayer on this map. As I stated elsewhere the starting point on the West coast should be removed.

Also, on the East Coast there are problems with too many industries. No one wants bombs (no demand).... yet if I want to BUILD a factory that accepts steel, bomb factory is the only option, I cannot build a car factory (cars ARE in demand) so ultimately, I simply built a bomb factory and let the bombs pile up, at least I had somewhere reasonable to ship my steel. I also notice that the city that makes bombs AND cars... only produces cars from the steel anyway, so clearly all bombs and bomb related stuff should just be removed, and when building an industry, the car factory should be an option.
-Bob the Lunatic

vzbob

Re:

Post by vzbob » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:01 am

K-class wrote: They do have the Indian Pacific, The Ghan and the The Overland.
here is a link to these rail Australian trains. (very different from those lush green maps)

http://www.railaustralia.com.au/trains.htm
The Above Links no longer works and this 1 will show you all the different country trains Rail Australia Homepage

bobbys Railroads Fan Site

McBarnacle

Post by McBarnacle » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi all,

OK, there seems to be some issues with this map so I had a go at fixing some of them.

This is what I have done so far:-

1) Added a demand for arms to metropolises seeing as you can make arms but nowhere accepted them.

2) Corrected the city names for Adelaide and Sydney

3) Removed Dairy Farms as none had been placed on the maps, removed Fromageries as there was no supply of milk and removed Breweries as grain seems to be intended to supply food plants plus there was no demand for beer in any places anyway.

4) Moved the automobile plant in Adelaide to the nearest convenient city - Ballarat - as having steel supplying 2 different industries in the same city causes them to "share" the steel supplied.

These changes now mean that you can build Food Plants and Automobile Plants, arms can be accepted when a city gets big enough and Adelaide doesn't share steel between it's 2 start up industries.

I have been asked to post any fixed maps in the original development thread so here's my first version.

If this one tests out OK I plan on tackling all the city names to make sure they are correct, add gold as an accepted good by either letting cities accept it as a "final destination" good or by adding a couple of banks to the map and maybe adding some vineyards to the east coast seeing as there's only 1 outside Perth atm.

Let me know how this tests out, I have only played it through once so far but have had no issues.

McB
Last edited by McBarnacle on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McBarnacle

Post by McBarnacle » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Hiya all again,

OK, here's a new version - already lol. :lol:

I have checked all city names and could only see that Nhulunbuy was spelt incorrectly after my last edit.

I also had a CTD after the game ended when I played it so when back through the XML files and found references to industries, goods and train cars that were in one file but not in it's corresponding file.

Have tidied up the XML files - I hope! - so that it doesn't CTD any more.

Here's hoping!

McB

McBarnacle

Post by McBarnacle » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi all,

New version here, the last one was bugged. :oops:

Didn't realise that cask cars were for both beer *and* wine and deleted it, not realising what I had done until I made my first wine train and the map promptly did a CTD.

I have also made some more changes as I didn't think the map was balanced, even if it was probably historically accurate.

In the interests of game play I have done the following:-

1 ) Removed arms from the map - the map had, in my humble opinion, too many high earning resources in it with gold, arms, autos, wine and paper. The map was also set up so that arms could be produced but not sent anywhere. The war factory in Adelaide is no longer in game.

2 ) I also removed paper from the map for the same reason so paper mills and newspapers have been removed.

3 ) Fish can now be accepted directly into a place once it reaches town size. Canneries have been removed because of this.

4 ) Redundant/unused industries such as milk farms, fromageries, corn fields, swine farms and breweries have been removed from the map. Power plants were also removed as only 1 city had one. The result is that Stockyards, Food Plants, Smelters, Automobile Factories and Textile Mills can now be built where they couldn't before.

5 ) All redundant train cars removed from the map.

6) For the sake of variety, Melbourne and Brisbane have been removed as start locations and Townsville added as a start location. This now means there are 2 start locations in the SE, 1 in the centre, 1 in the NE, 1 in the SW and 1 in the NW.

7 ) To give all start locations a fair chance at development, goods needed to develop villages have been added "close" to all start locations (they might not be right on top of a start location but you won't need to sell shares to get to them!) For the sake of accuracy, though, food resources have not been added to real life desert locations!

8 ) The vineyard to the east of Perth has been moved to it's accurate location of Margaret River. 2 new vineyards have been added to represent the Hunters Valley and Coonaworra wine regions. The winery has been moved from Perth to Esperance and the textile mill in the other direction so that it's not "easy" to develop a cash crop.

9 ) Hobart removed from the game seeing as canneries have been removed.

10 ) New locations added in order to give all areas of the map the chance to develop to match the east coast of Australia had history - and the railways - seen to it! They are:-

Albany, Border Village, Borraloola, Carpentaria, Rawlina and Wyndham

11 ) Gold now accepted by all locations once they reach Metropolis.

12 ) To give Alice Springs a fair chance as a start location a coal mine has been added to the south and a gold mine added to the north (I have checked maps of Australia to make sure that they have been placed in locations where there are/were such in reality).

13 ) Some of the resources have been reduced in size to make it more of a challenge to develop the area you start in.

14 ) Some mid range industries have been added in semi-close proximity to Darwin and Townsville so that they can be developed as areas - with work - once the startup development is complete.

15 ) Adelaide, Sydney and Nuhlunbuy are now spelt correctly.

16 ) Start date now 1849 as research on my part indicates that railways started in Australia then (I do stand to be corrected though ;) ).

17 ) End date now 1979 (just before the TGV appears in game!)

18 ) Tidied up the xml code so that it's easier to bug hunt, one of the things that had me pulling my hair out!

Think that's it, hope people like my version. :)

If people like it, I plan on adding some better victory conditions to the map as decent objectives turn a good map into an excellent one

McB
Attachments
Australia.zip
(3.86 MiB) Downloaded 479 times

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:40 am

McBarnacle,

Looks like you have done some work on this map. Just to let you know, there has been a version of it do a while back by an Aussy that may have done all that work. You may also be able to correct him if he hasn't. You'll find it here:
http://eric.bkbobby.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39#p39

Of course you will have to sign up first here: http://eric.bkbobby.com/index.php

It uses a new style of map and no longer uses the FPK files as they were found to cause trouble for some peoples systems. I've let bobby know of your version.