Scrooge V1.4: Making Toys Pay in Shady Valley

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
karsten

Scrooge V1.4: Making Toys Pay in Shady Valley

Post by karsten » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:57 pm

V1.4 (2011)
Tweaked to allow potential win by Robber Baron. Download new file from maps database.

V1.3 (2007)
  • * Added a few XMLs to improve resistance to nonstandard XMLs elsewhere.

V1.2
    • * Real toys (from Firaxis Holiday Scenario) are now enabled!
      * Three starting positions (the fourth, Grimey, is for tough experts).
      * Third era rewritten to introduce new scenery.
      * British locos, plus the crocodile
      * Numerous little tweaks to improve scenario play and scenery
If you find it tough to complete the first era, check out the excellent financial advice given in this thread by Kroguys
Attachments
ScroogeHoliday_SAM.zip
(3.75 MiB) Downloaded 635 times
ScroogeHoliday.jpg
ScroogeHoliday.jpg (20.83 KiB) Viewed 15720 times
Setup_ScroogeHoliday_1[1].3.zip
(707.36 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
Serene ending to a hectic game
Serene ending to a hectic game
Serene ending.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 16645 times
Using the AI cheap tunnel and bridge exploit ...
Using the AI cheap tunnel and bridge exploit ...
Tunnel exploit.jpg (1016.92 KiB) Viewed 16648 times
ScroogeHoliday_1_3.zip
(862.01 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
Last edited by karsten on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.

dwax

Post by dwax » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:12 pm

Yippy! Thankk you karsten! I wish I could make new map's, just not smart enough. :P

atani

Post by atani » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:24 pm

Excellent map, quite difficult as well. One thing that I noticed is with your save game is the locale is set to German so all of the newspapers are showing as German as well.

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:02 pm

Thanks, dwax and atani! I am relieved that the savegame seems to provide a viable workaround :P I will see if I can figure out how to solve the Newspaper issue.

Kroguys

Post by Kroguys » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:12 am

Cool map. Finished 1st stage with 7 yrs to spare. Finished 3rd stage around 1915. Mogul level, Hard difficulty and no AI.

*** Spoiler***

***Spoilage***

I sold all the stocks at start. Set tracks from Shady Hollow to lumber mill. Set tracks from Shady Hollow to Tinseltown. Bid for paper mill then start shippiing lumber. Bid for Newspaper company before shipping paper. Go around the mountain to connect with Grimey and use that same track to ship coal. The rest is easy. Sorry if I misspelled the towns. :wink:

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:37 am

Way to go! Your "private equity" approach seems to be the optimum solution. :idea: Congratulations!

karsten

Version 1.2 of Scrooge is out

Post by karsten » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:51 pm

Hi everyone!
I have updated the files in the Scrooge topic with version 1.2. Thanks to the posters in Wiki and Forum, there are the following improvements:

* Real toys are now enabled! (See screenshot).
* Three good starting positions, no savegame needed.
* Third era rewritten to introduce new scenery.
* British locos now, plus the crocodile
* Numerous little tweaks to improve scenario play and scenery

Hope you enjoy it. :D

universum

Post by universum » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:26 am

This is one of the best single player maps I have played for Railroads so far (including all the built in scenarios).

What I liked about it:
:arrow: it keeps you focused, no sprawling network of railroads connecting everything to everything else and rush to keep building new routes all the time ending with vast number of trains (quality over quantity any time)

:arrow: difficulty, you can really learn what works and what not, you only have enough money close to the end

:arrow: nice scenery, not flat land with no trees like some other custom maps I have seen, nice little touches like the bear catching fish

:arrow: I like that places are not close to each other and you can actually think about where to lay the tracks, where to put double track to accomodate more trains, whether to go around the mountains or build the tunnel, how to lay the track through difficult terrain

:arrow: no AI to bother with, just tight but doable goals, it may not be for everybody but I really like it, if Railroads had some 20 maps like yourScrooge, it would be great single player game

Played 1.0 and liked it. Played new 1.2 and liked it even more, took me 3 tries to get it right and finish in time. I owe you many hours of great fun.

Please keep it coming... :D

edbangor

Post by edbangor » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:13 pm

Problem?

When I attempt to load this map I get a C++ error and the game crashes. :(
I've got the Santa scenario, and have the latest patch, both of which normally run fine and do most of the other maps downloaded from here. (unless my meagre 512mb RAM gets flustered!)

Anyone else have this problem - I guess not or else they'd have said - anyone know what I can do about it?

I've tried putting the map in the two locations mentioned in the 'Readme' but neither works.
Install the unzipped "ScroogeHoliday" folder to your UserMaps or under
My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets.
I assumed, however that the above ment to create a folder called "Scroogeholiday" in the ...\CUstomAssets\XML\_SCENARIOS_ folders along with all the other scenarios/maps rather than just in "CustomAssets itself.... is that right?
This is what I did and the map duely showed up in the game menu but, as I said, caused a crash during the loading of it... any suggestions?

Kenster

Post by Kenster » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:16 am

Yeah for some reason I can't get it to load either.. I was going to look at the XML, but haven't had the time. I get CTD while loading.
I don't think I'm missing anything at least as far as the readme explains what is needed.
I may reinstall SMR and start over fresh..

Ken

universum

Post by universum » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:36 am

I had to reinstall Railroads, latest patch and holiday scenario to be able to play version 1.2. I have played other maps before and installed some mods to get them working and version 1.2 would not work with all those mods present (interestingly enough, 1.0 still did though).

After complete reinstall of the game I had no problem whatsoever playing Scrooge 1.2 (I have autosave OFF just for completeness).

I have the all the map files in ScroogeHoliday subfolder in UserMaps folder.

I must say that way how Railroads "handle" :shock: missing files and such is horible. If you run scenario which requires certain mod, it just crashes :roll: , no error handling at all. It must be frustrating beyond belief for map makers.
Last edited by universum on Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

gforce

Post by gforce » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:40 am

Can't load it either....
It crashes to desktop while loading.
Could it be because i installed patch 1.1?
Can i rollback to patch 1.01?

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:51 am

universum wrote: I must say that way how Railroads "handle" :shock: missing files and such is horible. If you run scenario which requires certain mod, it just crashes :roll: , no error handling at all. It must be frustrating beyond belief for map makers.
amen, brother :cry:

karsten

Post by karsten » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:43 pm

:D Hi everybody. Universum, thanks for your super and insightful comments, that´s what gives us mapmakers the motivation to go on!

edbangor and kenster: Thanks for trying the scenario, too bad you had a CTD while loading. It WILL do that if the Santa scenario has not been installed using the Firaxis-supplied exe, I tested that with a fresh installation on a different machine.

gforce: The scenario is compatible with Patch 1.1, no problems there. So the remaining problem I can think of is incompatibility with the tender mod. I will be testing for that tomorrow. :(

gforce

Post by gforce » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:43 am

I did a new install and so on...

didn't help still CTD