Scrooge V1.4: Making Toys Pay in Shady Valley

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
universum

Post by universum » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:40 am

Sorry to hear that reinstalling did not help.

The only thing I can think of is whether you removed 'My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!' before installing the game again? I have done that to make sure there was nothing left. I don't know if uninstall will remove those or not but my bet is that it will only remove things it has put in there. Then, when you install the game again, you may end up exactly where you have started.

I have actually created copy of entire Sid Meier's Railroads! folder just after installing the game, patch 1.1 and holiday scenario so that I can revert to 'fresh post install' state easily without reinstalling the game. I don't think that installing new maps or mods can affect game files in 'Program Files' but I have no idea what it is reading from CustomAssets and I am pretty sure that it could be it because it affects all maps. I had installed "manges tender mod v3" to play ChicagoToTheRockies map. Scrooge 1.2, unlike 1.0, contains British locomotives, I wonder if that could be a problem because tender mod does not have tenders for them?

Hope it might help

universum

Post by universum » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Addition to the previous post:

I have played Super Bowl Express map and found that when it is installed, Scrooge 1.2 would not work. Mange's Tender Mod does not cause any problem but it seems like scenarios do. I am able to go from Scrooge 1.2 working to Scrooge 1.2 crashing and back (by switching between two versions of CustomAssets folder).

Scrooge 1.2 works for me when CustomAssets folder contains either no file or NewTenders.FPK, CustomAssets\XML contains either no files or RRT_TrainCars.xml and RRT_Trains.xml and CustomAssets\XML\_SCENARIOS_ contains no files and only Santa subfolder.

I have also found other interference with stuff in UserMaps folder (see my post in Roundtrip in the mountains: Test Case (mountains, no bridges) topic).

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:03 pm

Universum, I agree, Scrooge 1.2 and the tender mod are compatible, no problems, the tenders show up in the scenarios in which they are enabled. :D

What happens is that eg the "Try 2 - remake" scenario contains an edited RRT_Tunnels.xml, which, in the CustomAssets folder, overrides the standard Tunnels parameters of all scenarios in the game.

The proper procedure, according to current knowledge, summarized in Snoopy´s excellent thread "Files in Map Folders" in "Technical Issues", is to provide a unique scenario name for the folder and any other altered XML files included in the scenario. Eg in a "ShockAwe" scenario, the modified XML should be named RRT_Tunnels_ShockAwe.xml" and reside in a "ShockAwe" folder, to be placed in the CustomAssets or UserMaps folder. :idea:
According to your experience, even placing all new scenario folders exclusively in the UserMaps folder does not help. Still, I will include a few additional specific XMLs to attempt to make Scrooge slightly more resistant to crash on load from other stuff.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:12 pm

karsten - what was the Newspaper issue you had and did you fix it?
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:47 am

somebody up there must not like me. Not only does the scrooge map send me to the desktop while it tries to load but so does the santa map. Somedays I really feel like giving up :(

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:44 am

I'm still on v 1.2 and can get i9t to load ok. I was looking around and saw a Bear in a stream LOL I never seen this before. :lol: And he was jumping up and down. :lol:
Attachments
Bear.JPG
Bear.JPG (129.21 KiB) Viewed 10859 times

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:07 am

CeeBee51 wrote:somebody up there must not like me. Not only does the scrooge map send me to the desktop while it tries to load but so does the santa map. Somedays I really feel like giving up :(
Sorry guys, but I introduced a problem with the SuperBowlExpress map. If you have this map in your _SCENARIOS_ directory, Scrooge and Santa won't load. This is because of the RRT_Goods.xml file in the SuperBowlExpress directory. For some reason, the game finds this one first and loads it instead of the one in the local game directory (Santa).

If you are interested in fixing the problem without completely removing SuperBowlExpress, see my update and comments on the ChicagoToTheRockies topic on page 2.

gforce

Post by gforce » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:56 pm

I've followed al the help posted, to get the scenario started...
moving maps, rename etc...
but no luck,
i've been trying to debug but can't find the problem... error asks for send info

Is there maybe a way to sent some output to a logfile while the scenario is loading...
some kind of <output> command in xml :?:

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:30 am

snoopy55 wrote:karsten - what was the Newspaper issue you had and did you fix it?
:D Hi Snoopy, yes, I think since version 1.2 the Scrooge Newspaper texts have appeared in English. The occasional random event newspapers probably appear in whatever language the game was installed in, say Dutch in the Netherlands. It would be super if we had detailed control of those random events from within the individual scenarios, but I guess that is not possible at the moment. :cry:

gforce

Post by gforce » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:20 pm

I've found the PROBLEM! :P
I can run the scrooge map V1.3 without any problems...
BECAUSE:
I found 2 nif files i don't have:
LM_wash_monument.nif
BuildingUS_VegasCowboy.nif

I replaced those with
SantaTree.nif

and now IT WORKS
(really i spent hours and hours trying to find the problem :evil:)

BUT :shock:
WHY you guys all have those nif files?
WHERE do they come from? :?: :?: :?:
I NEVER had those, neither they were included in the original or the zip file!

ps: i've got the Europe version and all patches loaded + holliday scenario

PLEASE help me on this or send a reference to a post or something or upload them for me....

What am i missing more?
btw:
if i do a search of *.nif in the install dir of the game,
:arrow: i've got exactly 111 nif files (all results included)
in the my games dir:
:arrow: i've got 5 nif files

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:49 pm

karsten, you can control those newspaper texts :!: If you look at the original files in \Sid Meier's Railroads!\Assets\XML, in the RRT_Events.xml, each happening has the following:

<szEarliestDate>1/1800</szEarliestDate>
<szLatestDate>12/2050</szLatestDate>
<fProbability>0.2</fProbability>

If you set the first one at say 6/1920 and the second at 7/1920, with the last item at 1 or .9, the Event will happen in June of 1920. I'm going by logic here, so try it out and let us know. As to making something happen more than once, I doubt it, ther game has a hard enough time making thing happen the first time :wink:

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:53 pm

gforce - I take it you have read the post 'Trouble Loading Maps??? Read This. :?: If you haven't, do so. If it confuses you, no problem, I think it's doing that to those of us who wrote it, not because we don't know what we are doing, but because the game knows and is fighting us :twisted:

gforce

Post by gforce » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:25 pm

Snoopy,
i don't get it...
I've readed everything.
All my scenarios are running without a problem. (so no question about that)
I'm just missing 2 .nif files (see prev post) and i really don't know why i don't have them! or can get them!

karsten

Post by karsten » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:29 pm

snoopy55 wrote:karsten, you can control those newspaper texts :!: I'm going by logic here, so try it out :wink:
Hi Snoopy, your logic is fine, but the game won´t do it! :shock: I have not yet been able to figure out why. If one of you clever guys can make it work, the potential for more interesting gameplay is exciting! 8)

I was actually hoping to include some timed events into my new scenario, but since so far thats been a bust, I am going to release it tonight (Beta).

On this topic, gforce, I have to say you have me worried! Those .nif files are packed in the game assets, I assume, if they don´t get unpacked properly ... oh dear. Especially since I am using the EiffelTower.nif in the new scenario. What is the Eiffel Tower doing near the beach somewhere in Middle England? Well, unless you live in England and know already, you can find out by playing the new scenario :D I am glad you found a workaround using the Xmas Tree ... hope the Scrooge scenario is enjoyable!

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:56 pm

gforce - go into ChicagoToTheRockies and open RRT_Industries_ChicagoToTheRockies.xml. Do a search for either Dairy Farm or Swine Farm. There you will find two 'None' with two different outputs, and Grain > Milk or Cornmeal > Swine. Now you could have this in a 'Cow Farm', use the same Icons as say Cattle Farm, and have Cornmeal > Livestock, Grain > Livestock, Cornmeal > Milk, Grain > Milk, None > Livestock and None > Milk. Now the Game uses two (Sheep Farm) and CTTR uses three (Dairy Farm and Swine Farm) so I can't see why six won't work. I think I've seen four working. Maybe this is another limit on the game.

Off the wall, I wonder what would happen if you took a Cattle Farm and a Dairy Farm, gave them Cornmeal, Grain and None for inputs and they had the same starting X Y? Work or CTD 8)

As to the 'None', it is included in my Hill Valley Steaks RRT_Goods_Hill_Valley_Steaks.xml. I didn't put it there, the Editer did, but I have no rhyme nor reason for it. I searched for it in a couple of other maps and couldn't find it.