BC Interior BETA

Develop, collaborate, test and share new maps
snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:47 pm

CeeBee - call it patting myself on the back if you wish, but go the the SMR Wiki and read the 'Tips for publishing your mods' section. I wrote the base for it and Falconer edited it (a great job by the way) and it gives a base for dos and don'ts and needs. I think I need to add to it, but I'm tired and out of it right now. I'll look into it when I can think better, if I can remember :shock:

Now what was I talking about.....was I talking..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

d53642

Post by d53642 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:02 am

snoopy55 wrote: CeeBee - I did a post on Daryls Mid East that might help you out in mapping also. And it's not so much of a 'simplicity for public sake' as a 'let them know what is required to run the map'. You have yours using the Santa maps' engine so that map is needed, or a change to the RRT_Trains.xml. Some out there are more for downloading the map and to h**l with reading the posts. Yes, they may not read the Readme either, but they can't blame the maps creater.
I'm going to look at my info in the Wiki ans see if it needs anything new. Your map brings up a few things.
If you use my modified Mid East And Santa map file it will have the correct settings for the Santa and MidEast changes in the files under xml.

2K Games and their great logic released the holiday map and with their great intelligence didn't comprehend into others making maps too. The way they did the Santa stuff anyone making their own industries will have problems with their map so I modified my industry and theirs and made it into one. But any future industries will have to take these two scenarios into consideration and make a new modified one for all three or more which I can see getting messy down the road.

Daryl

d53642

Post by d53642 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:04 am

snoopy55 wrote:CeeBee - call it patting myself on the back if you wish, but go the the SMR Wiki and read the 'Tips for publishing your mods' section. I wrote the base for it and Falconer edited it (a great job by the way) and it gives a base for dos and don'ts and needs. I think I need to add to it, but I'm tired and out of it right now. I'll look into it when I can think better, if I can remember :shock:

Now what was I talking about.....was I talking..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
LOL, rest them eyes Snoop.

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:44 am

Snoops.... I downloaded the xml notepad and it looks pretty cool.
Daryl.... I tried running the scenerio you sent back and get CDT's as well.
I'm wondering if the map size is as much to blame as anything? I've already cut the BC map down to a standard in-game sized map and once I get the towns and cities placed I'll soon find out. Only problem with the smaller map is less cities and towns as I used the same greyscale but only cut out the more populated part. I may slow father time down and make a shorter scenerio... maybe the building of the Canadian Pacific or some other such "short term" goal. Anyway, with me having to go back to w*** tomorrow I don't know how far anything will get this week.

atani

Post by atani » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:46 am

Ok, with the Mid East Customs put back into CustomAssets (and the two xml files which needed to be moved into XML done) I can now play this map... However, I am only able to play in single player mode... If I put in any AI characters for some reason it CTDs on me :(

Mike

atani

Post by atani » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:47 am

snoopy55 wrote:Under XML you should have RRT_Goods.xml, RRT_Patents.xml, RRT_TrainCars.xml and RRT_Trains.xml. One problem here is that some of these have been modified and if not may cause problems
I know where to get TrainCars and Trains (MidEast-Santa files?) But where to get the Patents file?

Mike

d53642

Post by d53642 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:15 am

atani wrote:
snoopy55 wrote:Under XML you should have RRT_Goods.xml, RRT_Patents.xml, RRT_TrainCars.xml and RRT_Trains.xml. One problem here is that some of these have been modified and if not may cause problems
I know where to get TrainCars and Trains (MidEast-Santa files?) But where to get the Patents file?

Mike
I know there should be a goods file but not sure about a patents file.

Daryl

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:08 am

The patents file should be in the firaxis xml folder but unless one wanted to make changes to the patent stuff it shouldnt be needed in the custom assets folder.

d53642

Post by d53642 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:40 am

Thats what I mean Ceebee, I have never seen an edited patents file with any scenario yet.

I know I changed the goods file to combine both mideast and santa.

Daryl

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:06 am

There is one in the main body of the program. I also have one in the XML folder. Checking them out I found that he 2 files are different.

Under XML:
11/3/06 7:35

Swift car

Food
Grain
Fish
Milk

The other is in the main body:

12/12/06 4:02

Food
Grain
Fish
Swine
Livestock
Milk
Grapes
Cornmeal

With my shifting things for multiple game set-ups they're both there. Forget the Patents.xml, mine's is :roll:

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:15 am

Daryl - The Santa map is just what I'm talking about. If it had come after someone else ahd made a change to any files it rewrote, some maps would not have worked. Not everyone purchased this game expecting to have to edit files, or even know how to. Changes in files need to be explained and explained well. Put it one line off and you blow up your steam engine!

OzoB

Post by OzoB » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:42 am

CeeBee51 wrote:The patents file should be in the firaxis xml folder but unless one wanted to make changes to the patent stuff it shouldnt be needed in the custom assets folder.

I beleave the patent xml might have come from the GP7 or bunit mod
Iam not sure but ill take a look as I seem to remember seeing
that after I instaled the mods.

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:01 pm

I've modified the map to only include stock industries and it's better but not good enough, at least on my system. I can play 15-30 minutes or so and then it CTD's. There doesn't appear to be any one thing that causes it so I'm pretty much stumped. I've made new versions with new xml's, gone over the files and can't see anything wrong. They all do the same thing.... eventually CTD. Maybe it's the size of map though I could play PAFDaddy's germany map before with very few problems. I have several questions though.
1. Do the xml files loadup at the start and if so then if they are messed up the game should CTD at that time, right?
2.Would the game load a faulty xml file and access it later and then blow up?
3. Are both scenrios possible?
I'm not much at stuff like this but I sure would like for my map to run like it did when I first made it.

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:05 pm

I've ran this version twice in a row to completion so I think it's working properly. :)

Map Name : BC Gold
Map Size : 225x225
Scenerio : yes(beta)
Multiplayer : not tested as such
Version : BETA 0.91
Date : JAN 14/07

readme:
This "beta" map is made for SMR (v)1.1 and contains only in-game industries/goods/cars so no mods are needed. The victory conditions probably need tweaking as they may be unreachable in the short timespan. I may do several scenerio's once I get more feedback. I like to follow the lakes, rivers and other valleys as thats how the real railroads did it. You may modify it to your hearts content but if you upload please rename and list original creator as well as your handle. If you have suggestions, idea's, bugz or any other feedback post to the map thread, private message or email me at cbarkman (at) direct.ca with a subject line that makes sense so I don't toss it out with the spam.
Have fun
Chuck "CeeBee" Barkman
Attachments
BC_GOLD.rar
(708.98 KiB) Downloaded 438 times

Kroguys

Post by Kroguys » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:25 am

Thanks for a beautyful map Ceebee. Random resource makes replay just as fun. I tried the map 3 times online with 3-4 people each time. Ctd once during the second game, which may or may not haev anything to do with the map. Map seems to be about as stable as anything else on Game Spy. Keep up the good work. :)