Post subject: Re: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:59 pm 

Hi McBarnacle, it's good to see an effort to improve an old map!

But probably you will need to invest more work before it becomes interesting to play.

Firstly, it needs a good scenario. As you say yourself, "decent objectives turn a good map into an excellent one" - I could not agree more, and others in this thread have said the same.

Secondly, the map scenery is a bit drab, the terrain is jagged and unsmoothed, I think Tomas spent only a day or two working on it, it was his last before moving on. So, like Snoopy suggests, for inspiration you could have a look at Bobby's Austrailia, which has nice scenery and excellent reskinned rolling stock. One of the best-looking prototypes for this type of continental map is "America" by Stormfather.

Thirdly, there is the important issue of stability of this Australia map.
  • As Snoopy suggests, the .fpk file should be unpacked and only the necessary files kept in a single subfolder in the map folder.
  • As with many old SAM maps, there is no RRT_EVENTS file, which will crash the map sooner or later.
Check out Janksica's NAFTA II map for a good example of a simple RRT_EVENTS file which never crashes, and see how he keeps all unpacked assets in a single "warehouse" subfolder.

Good luck and much success! :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:26 am 

Hi karsten,

Yeah, I see your point but I am still learning how to mod these scenarios. ;)

For example, yesterday I fixed the graphics issue with the fishery to the north of the map - just above where the new village Carpentaria is - as, in the height elevation map, if you move this fishery a mountain almost the size of Mount Everest appears. :shock:

I've now flattened that a bit so that it looks OK if you move the fishery to somewhere were you can actually connect to it!!

I would like to sort out the issue that the entire country seems to be on a plateau but haven't fixed that yet.

That's interesting about the events file. I have the occasional issue where I get a CTD early on in the game when a "news headline" will crash the game. I'll look into that.

Has anyone tried the map to see if it works as is so I know if it's worth my carrying on? (Objectives is the next thing I want to add).

McB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:37 pm 

Hi all,

OK, thanks to the advice karsten gave me I have now done the following further improvements:-

1 ) Unpacked the .fpk file and added all the assets contained into a folder within the main map folder.

2 ) Added a basic events folder to stop the random CTDs when news headlines are generated.

3 ) Fixed a graphics glitch to the north of Carpentaria

4 ) Moved 2 city start locations and made all start location cities to be towns.

5 ) Added some objectives.

Hope you all like it.

McB

Attachments:
Australia.zip [3.88 MiB]
Downloaded 155 times

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:30 pm 

This looks like it is going in the right direction! One tip, the scenario objectives are still a bit generic. What people like to see is some historic sense in why they are trying to solve these transport problems - so you might want to link objectives to a bit of authentic Australian background.

Have a look at how Recoup rethought and reworked his scenario "Western Russia" here on the forum a number of times to come up with an engaging story line.

Good maps are like good Scotch malt whisky, "must be aged for at least three years" :lol: OK, not that long, but the more thinking and time is invested, the smoother it gets!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:07 pm 

Here is a working version of this map. For more versions, go to this site and join-up!!

http://www.sidmeiersrailroads.net

Attachments:
Australia_SAM.7z [2.29 MiB]
Downloaded 7 times