Smrsimple mainpage redesign

Got some news? Post it here.
Warll

Smrsimple mainpage redesign

Post by Warll » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Smrsimple has been using the same design for over three years. I'm finally working on redeveloping smrsimple using an off the shelf wordpress theme.

Because of my Google Summer of Code work the redevelop is a low priority so I thought it would be good to show you guys what I have so far.

http://dev.smrsimple.com/

The primary thing left on my todo list is to move all the map images into proper wordpress featured images, this will allow the map database list to show the map's image next to the name.I've manually done it for two maps to test the feature on the map list.

So what do you guys think?

PiratesFan

Re: Smrsimple mainpage redesign

Post by PiratesFan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:01 am

Just thought I would see if this site still existed, glad to see it still has some tracks :)

I like you're new format and wish you the best. I still get frustrated with the game but I still pull it out once in awhile

karsten

Post by karsten » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:23 pm

The map pictures seem to be duplicated - intentional?

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Actually yes it is intentional.

When I first created smrsimple wordpress did not have some of the content manigment features it does now, like images for posts. As such I had to do everything is a hardcoded html template. This is why map posts all look the same.

Now that wordpress has these features I need to write a script that moves the data from the html template into the proper wordpress formate. Before I did this I manually moved the image for testing, hence why two map's have duplicate images, one image is the proper wordpress version the other is from the html template.

karsten

Post by karsten » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:06 am

The layout looks neat, and I see that one can twitter and such, which may boost knowledge of our site. I was wondering about edits of posts, there are arguments pro and contra, but sometimes its very useful to be able to correct a mistake in a post.

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:15 am

Do you mean forum posts? You should already be able to edit forum posts.

Or you do you mean the wordpress posts? Or do you mean the comments on the wordpress posts?

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:11 am

I got the two major last programming things done, a script to migrate the map data, and a function to display the data.

I encourage everyone to check out the new map database, it now includes the map's image and the author. It is my hope that we'll see a significant increase in map downloads, or atleast people will be more happy with the ones they do download.

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Ok I've pushed the site live.

Make sure to tell me if you notice anything broken. :lol:

karsten

Post by karsten » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:23 am

Very nice. The previous/next entry buttons seem random - intentional? :P

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:17 pm

The next previous buttons operate based on chronological order. Its a wordpress plugin I wrote ages ago. I've actually disabled it because it interferes with the social media buttons.