Take Two boardroom revolution!

Got some news? Post it here.
Jagabot

Post by Jagabot » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:30 am

Besides, if you've used a PC for over 5 years you will *know* to never use the latest windows operating system (or any new operating system) until it has been out and used by the masses for at least 6 months. And this is not just limited to Microsoft operating systems...

Amiga OS 3.0 -- buggy for the first 3 months until 3.1
Windows 3.0 -- buggy until windows 3.1
Windows 95 -- buggy for the first 6+ months.
OS/2 -- buggy for the first 4 service packs (8 months)
Windows 98 -- very buggy for the first 6 months.
BeOS -- buggy beyond basic configurations
OSx -- buggy for the first 6 months
Windows ME -- very buggy period, anyone that raced to it was daft
RedHat -- Buggy for the first 6-8 months & occasionally buggy after large updates for 30-60 days
Windows 2K -- buggy for the first 6 months.
Windows 2K3 - very buggy for the first 6 months.
Windows XP -- buggy for the first 6 months.
Windows Vista -- take a guess

So, why is it such a suprise to anyone that Windows Vista would be any different? Anyone that upgrades to a new OS just because it's released has only themselves to blame for stability issues and should not embarass themselves by bitching about it on a forum other than on the OS vendor's website.

Slappy Da Clown

hmmmm

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:46 pm

As for Vista I wont buy it till they make me & I dont think they should include it on new computers till its been out in the public for at least a year. This allows regular people to crash it so they know where the bugs really are.

To those of you using XP. 90% of the time ( oh, they`re gonna hate this )
ITS YOUR COMPUTER NOT THE GAME. Yep , I know, thats gonna make me about as popular as a drunk with no money, but its the truth. Spen some time. Find out whats really goin on when you crash , you will see.
Im not sayin they didnt make some mistakes in the original game but, a little work & a little help from some friends & you can be crash free too.

Ok Im off to the kitchen for a beer
Slappy Da Clown
Dell Dimension 8400
Disk C: 118 GB Available, 145 GB Total
3GB Memory
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:27 pm

Give that man a case of good english brew :!: :D

(you are a man under that clown costume, aren't you.......)
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

jeffnsuec

Post by jeffnsuec » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:24 pm

My only point about mentioning that they should have tested it with Vista is that you can't consider yourself much of a business (forward thinking) if you release a software package right before a new OS comes out and you don't
plan on making that OS any of your target market.

My solution was that I loaded a copy of XP onto the new Laptop.
Although it loaded fine, there were a lot of drivers missing, especially
the network ones. I decided to contact HP and to my surprise I found someone really knowlegable and although it is not supported, he led me to each and every driver I needed (7-8 of them) to get everything loaded. My next step of course is to fire up Railroads and see how it runs.

I also have to purchase a valid copy of XP. Any thoughts as to whether I should spring for the extra to buy the XP pro 64-bit over the XP Pro 32-bit version?

--------------------------------------------
HP dv6255US
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56, 1800Ghz x 2, 1600MHz FSB
2Gig 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
Level 2 cache, 2 x 512KB
1 160GB disk @ 5400RPM
Nvidia GeForce Go 6150, 288MB share memory (128MB of it non-shared)

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:48 pm

jeffnsuec wrote: I also have to purchase a valid copy of XP. Any thoughts as to whether I should spring for the extra to buy the XP pro 64-bit over the XP Pro 32-bit version?
64 would not help you at all. I fact you'd have more nightmares with it then with Vista.

jeffnsuec

Post by jeffnsuec » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:54 am

Thanks for the info, I will stick with the 32-bit version.

Jeff

--------------------------------------------
HP dv6255US
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56, 1800Ghz x 2, 1600MHz FSB
2Gig 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
Level 2 cache, 2 x 512KB
1 160GB disk @ 5400RPM
Nvidia GeForce Go 6150, 288MB share memory (128MB of it non-shared)

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:31 am

Publisher Take-Two announced on April 5 that it's now under formal investigation by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission over its option backdating during the last six years.

A former Take-Two CEO recently paid back more than $7 million in disgorgement, interest and "penalties" (?). :( Would be nice if a small slice of that money ended up in patches and upgrades for SMR.

waxisthebest1

Re: hmmmm

Post by waxisthebest1 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:51 pm

Slappy Da Clown wrote: To those of you using XP. 90% of the time ( oh, they`re gonna hate this )
ITS YOUR COMPUTER NOT THE GAME. Yep , I know, thats gonna make me about as popular as a drunk with no money, but its the truth. Spen some time. Find out whats really goin on when you crash , you will see.
Im not sayin they didnt make some mistakes in the original game but, a little work & a little help from some friends & you can be crash free too.
I agree.....I'm not pointing fingers or anything, but a lot of people have their computers running with stuff they may not even know is on there (spyware, virus, etc). There are people who probably never opened their case and cleaned it out (probably never knew that you should every once in a while). Some have probably never defragged, ran disk cleanup, or other maintenace tasks that can help keep a box running close to optimum. It could very well be people running user made add-ons that may not work completely with their particular system.

I myself have not used any add-ons yet (I don't have much time to play the regular scenarios as it is) and I'm not saying the people making the mods are bad - mods can make any game better than just the out of the box experience.

I have played with this game for a few months now, on XP and Vista, and have never had a CTD....never. I consider myself lucky. I don't have a bunch of computer games loaded on my box (in fact, I only have this one) but I have a lot of other software loaded and I still have not had a problem with this game. I have not had any problems with Vista at all either.....at least not yet.

If you are having trouble, try some box maintanence, and maybe make sure you have the latest and correct drivers for your system. it could help.

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:30 am

The more I think about it, the more upset I get with Firaxis :( They had the makings of a great game, they even patched it twice and included an unsupported terrain editor and then dropped it and us like a hot ball of wax. No docs for the editor, no docs on how the game works with xml's, absolutely no word or replies on this, the only forum that I know of that's still active. Maybe I got spoiled by 6 years of Trainz but this is abysmal, I'm mad as hell and I ain't gonna take it anymore...... well, most of that was for effect but really it's true. I'm about as pissed off at Firaxis as I can be and while I'll probably keep plugging on, I'll also keep swearing at them under my breath, even if it's only to make me feel better. There... I feel better already :D

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:10 am

Can I borrow that soap box sometime?????
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:24 am

It's all your's. :lol: Maybe we should pass this thing around to relieve stress from time to time? :P

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:19 pm

This game worked fine on my old machine running XP. I bought a brand new Compaq with Vista, downloaded all new drivers and loaded Railroads! first thing. It consistently CTD. I got an email from 2K saying it works fine on their Vista machine. I suggested they run it on other machines as you can't do statistical analysis on a sampling of one.

He didn't reply back.

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:10 am

Take-Two unveiled '100-Day Plan,' today, says 'GTA is Our James Bond'.
Cost structures at the company will be addressed.
Management said that it will be looking for strategic alternatives for any non-core or non-profitable divisions of the company. Firaxis not mentioned.

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:24 pm

Soren Johnson, lead designer on Civilization IV, has left Firaxis Games to work on "Spore" at EA. Sounds pretty dire to me. :cry:

jayo

Post by jayo » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:59 pm

karsten wrote:Take-Two unveiled '100-Day Plan,' today, says 'GTA is Our James Bond'.
Cost structures at the company will be addressed.
Management said that it will be looking for strategic alternatives for any non-core or non-profitable divisions of the company. Firaxis not mentioned.
I believe they also mentioned in a news release that Firaxis was one of their more valuable assets and is least likely to be sold. :wink: