Some Stock Market basics

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
RedKnight

Some Stock Market basics

Post by RedKnight » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:40 am

Attached find a huge RTF.

I use a lot of tabular data, so I used an RTF instead of having lots of text here and lots of encapsulated pics appended and/or poorly spaced tables. The good admin Falconerer has said he'll look into making a wiki for Railroads! We all wish him luck, or at least, I do... then posting info like this is cake (and anybody can jump right into it).

My info has a couple of obvious drawbacks: It's from "passive" games (where I only watched what happened, and did absolutely nothing), and it's from one of many possible scenarios/difficulty levels, etc. So, anyone please post any exceptions they see.

Comments and cash donations welcomed. Someday I should get paid for crunching numbers, eh?

Note to any lurkers: You have to register to be able to see (the existence of) attachments. Nobody here will spam you, so register, if you haven't.
Attachments
Railroads! Stock Basics v1.rtf
RK's Stock Basics v. 1
(53.27 KiB) Downloaded 486 times

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:56 am

RedKnight, something else for you to research, buyouts. I've read some complaints about AIs buying out another AI when they didn't have the money. I came accross an interesting play:

B owned 50% of his shares. D owned the other 50%
Both were up for buyout.
I needed (rounded off) 15 mil to buy D. I needed 10 mil to buy B.
I went after D 1st on a hunch.
After buying D, I only had to pay 5 Mil for B.
Reason: I now owned 50% of his stock and only had to buy the other 50%.

The point being, the numbers you see are for YOU to buyout, not the AIs. The but out numbers arebase on what % you own of each AI.

From your RTF, I think you can do a better job of explaining the stragities of who to buy and in which order, and the whys and whatnots of it all.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:42 pm

Yes, there's a lot going on there. I haven't posted all I've seen on Stocks . RR! takes a very straightforward approach in many ways.

The bad news is I only play solo. It's great if cut-throat RR opponents - I mean honorable fellow businessmen and women - point out more tips.

Please take a shot at it. I don't mp any. It'll let me know if I should track other variables.

moon52

Post by moon52 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:46 am

Just registered a a new member. I can not see attachment you refer to?
I'll try to log out and back in and see if it helps.

Any ways I'm sure it's just what I'm looking for.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:54 am

It's the download at the top of the screen here.

And Welcome! :D
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

RedKnight

Post by RedKnight » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:34 pm

Ok, Disco Stu laid out a large stock market page on the wiki. I added in my stuff, and also included your example, snoopy (example #2 under Buyout).