I had the money, but i was bought out??

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:53 am

No, that's not the question. People seem to think that if they see a buyout price on their screens, that is the same price the AIs see. 'I own all of my stock so how can they be bought out', they ask. 'If the buyout price on my screen for Jim is $xxx, how can the other guy buy him out when he doesn't have that much money?'.

What we need is 2 people to play online and allow each person to buy all of their own stock, then record the numbers. Then each sell say 4 of their stock and let the other buy their stock and again, record the numbers. We cannot see what the prices are for the AIs buyouts of other players.

Did I make that clear or have I confused everyone again? :shock:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

zzbusch

Post by zzbusch » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:54 pm

snoopy55 wrote:No, that's not the question. People seem to think that if they see a buyout price on their screens, that is the same price the AIs see. 'I own all of my stock so how can they be bought out', they ask. 'If the buyout price on my screen for Jim is $xxx, how can the other guy buy him out when he doesn't have that much money?'.

What we need is 2 people to play online and allow each person to buy all of their own stock, then record the numbers. Then each sell say 4 of their stock and let the other buy their stock and again, record the numbers. We cannot see what the prices are for the AIs buyouts of other players.

Did I make that clear or have I confused everyone again? :shock:
Now I understand how it works. Unfortunately, the way it's done doesn't help me to see if I'm primed for a buy out, so I can take steps to avoid it. In real life, can't a business tell what it would cost for someone to buy it? That's what I think is wrong, or at least not helpful, in RR's.
I need to know how close a competitor is to buying me, so I can make strategy.
Remember railroads is sdaorliar spelled backward

Kenster

Post by Kenster » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:58 pm

snoopy55 wrote:No, that's not the question. .......Did I make that clear or have I confused everyone again? :shock:
Sorry.. I was just briefing through the thread and missed the post by zzbusch. :oops:

I'll blame it on either old age or the need for new glasses.. :shock:

Yeah, that is a quandary. :?

Kroguys

Post by Kroguys » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:46 pm

I didnt grab a calculator but from eyeballiing it, the Buyout Price seems to be:

Buyout Price = (Sell Price)(2)(X)

X = number of shares needed for Buyout.

Most people know we have to pay double for each share of the stock that we need to buy someone out. So the double amount times the number of stocks we need is the total buyout price. Thats what I think. 8)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:02 am

Kroguys wrote:I didnt grab a calculator but from eyeballiing it, the Buyout Price seems to be:

Most people know we have to pay double for each share of the stock that we need to buy someone out. So the double amount times the number of stocks we need is the total buyout price. Thats what I think. 8)
Ah but are you including any stock of another player that he owns? Also, when you buyout, you also get all the assets, so that needs to be in there somewhere, doesn't it?
zzbusch wrote:Now I understand how it works. Unfortunately, the way it's done doesn't help me to see if I'm primed for a buy out, so I can take steps to avoid it.
You're always primed for a buyout. As to taking steps to avoid it, it falls under the first of the "Rules of War!" - 'Kill or Be Killed' - get the other guy before he gets you!

(Of course there is always the other way out, 'Run For Your Life' - or in this case, quit the game and walk away whistling 8)

Kroguys

Post by Kroguys » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:19 pm

Well the stock Sell Price is determined by all of the player's assets. So it's all is there already. And the number of shares the other player owns does matter. The more shares they own means less shares they will need to buy me out.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:02 pm

Let me try and picture what I ment for you....

You, Jay and Jim. Jim is the guy you're after. You own 50% of him, so you should only have to pay half of his companies worth to buy him out. BUT, he, Jim, owns half of Jays company, and if you're buying out Jim, you have to pay for that half of Jays also. Now, does the price per stock reflect that half of Jays or not? If Jays stock costs twice as much as Jims, where does that calculation come in? AND, to top it off, Jim owns 2 peices of your stock, another problem in where those numbers came from.

I'll have to look at your calculation next time I play.

I'm going to try to set up a game between my 2 computers this weekend. I tried it yesterday but mine had a Windows firewall that kept my wifes out. We were also playing thru my server which is a 2 400mhz CPU system, which is slow. I'm going to host it off mine. I'll also get my exersize running up nad down the stairs, unless I can sneek it past my wife to my computer room..... :twisted:

Kroguys

Post by Kroguys » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:10 am

I just played a game with the situation you described. And I have your answer. I did use a calculator this time. But I will wait to see what you come up with. :wink:

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:08 pm

OK, you got me, I'll let you buy me out for only a dollar :D

I did find one error (along with alot of other interesting things). I set both guys up with owning all but 2 of their shares, and the other guy owned those. When I did a buyout the game announced to the left that 10% had been bought, not 20%. I really haven't looked at this when I played any other time. Ah well, another job to do..... :roll:

Mulligan22

Stock

Post by Mulligan22 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:11 pm

I've played and have bought all of my company's stock to where the price will show 0 on the buy button. So if I own every share of stock I shouldn't be taken over or bought out, but it has happened. And I'm left with nothing. This makes no sense to me. Even in the most hostile take over the orginal owner of the company should get his due.

I've seen guys sell their own company stock in order to raise cash to buy someone else. When I see it happening I buy theirs. Which should make mine more expensive to buy. But it doesn't.

The other thing I notice is if you start at a town with little resources nearby, your screwed. I've joined games where it's set for RB and the host will leave if he doesn't like his starting point. Yet he picked the level at which to play.

I'd also like to be able to sell industries if I want to.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:41 pm

I did some jumping between 2 computers on a LAN (it was my wifes computer drug into my computer room - ouch!) and played against myself. The numbers you see are for your plays, they see different numbers.
Also, if you own all your stock and Jim owns all of his, neither of you would be able to buyout the other, and that's part of the fun. :D
Last edited by snoopy55 on Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kroguys

Post by Kroguys » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:18 am

If you own all 10 shares of your stock, you still can be bought out. Selling industies would be nice.

Slappy Da Clown

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:44 pm

Hello ALL

Im still new to this & havin much fun. I was reading through this topic & I get the impression that Firaxis monitors these forums ( I may have gotten the wrong impression here ). Not real important except it should be much easier to get game fixes. Anyway, it seems to me that the way to solve this Fairly so that no one including the AI could just contine to refuse a buyout & no one could buy out a company that was solely owned, would be to just make it so buyouts could not be attempted unless you owned a Majority of the stock in the company to be purchased. In the real world this would be accomplished by a stockholders vote. If you or the AI owned the majority of stock in a company to be purchased a hostile takeover could be assumed otherwise the stockholders voted the buyout down. Im sure theres a better solution but that just occured to me as I was reading through this.

Ill be in the bar car
Slappy Da Clown