Why can AI buy me if I have 70% of my shares

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
roro

Why can AI buy me if I have 70% of my shares

Post by roro » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:40 am

This does not make much sense. If I own 70% of my own company nobody should be able to buy me against my will.
Company valuations are also crazy in some situations.
I completely blocked of one of my AI competitors at the start of the game by puting my rails all around his starting rail. So he could not lay any track.
I was expecting his stock value to go down. I purchased one by one all of its shares (which went up every time I bought one). When I had 60% (the AI still had its original 40%) the value to buy it completely was 6 million. This is crazy since the company had no assets except for one terminal, a small piece of rail and its original 300k in cash.
Could we not make this more realistic?

stratfordwill

Post by stratfordwill » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:12 am

There's a lot of goofy stuff like that in the economic model. The AI can buy you even if you have 100% of the shares. I think the explanation is that they created a really simple model to allow for fast-paced multiplayer games. Frankly, I like playing the short fast games sometimes, but I was definitely not expecting an arcade game when i picked up SMR.

It seems to me that the game can to be tweaked a bit to make the experience more sim-like, but in order to get a decent economic model, and an acceptable routing model it will take a serious patch. I doubt they'll choose to go that direction, unfortunately.

CaptainPatch

Re: Why can AI buy me if I have 70% of my shares

Post by CaptainPatch » Sat Nov 18, 2006 5:03 pm

roro wrote:This does not make much sense. If I own 70% of my own company nobody should be able to buy me against my will.
Company valuations are also crazy in some situations.
I completely blocked of one of my AI competitors at the start of the game by puting my rails all around his starting rail. So he could not lay any track.
I was expecting his stock value to go down. I purchased one by one all of its shares (which went up every time I bought one). When I had 60% (the AI still had its original 40%) the value to buy it completely was 6 million. This is crazy since the company had no assets except for one terminal, a small piece of rail and its original 300k in cash.
Could we not make this more realistic?
I live in the San Francisco Bay area where in some places houses sell for an _average_ of $690,000 for a one bedroom home. The same house in other areas of the country would be lucky to go for $100,000. In the cost of materials and labor, the two houses are approximately the same. What makes a house around here worth so much more? Supply-and-demand. People around here spend Big Bucks to acquire a house that they are certain some other idiot will pay even more for.

If you successfully cut off the other competitor such that he can't get enough cash revenue to bridge his way out of the containment, do NOT make a run at his stock all at once. Buy 10% every 2-3 years. Each time someone buys stock in a company, the remaining shares will shoot up significantly. But if there is a lengthy period of no activity, the price will slowly drop off. At the end, only the last 10% of shares will be double-priced.

TheGlobalizer

Re: Why can AI buy me if I have 70% of my shares

Post by TheGlobalizer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:30 pm

roro wrote:This does not make much sense. If I own 70% of my own company nobody should be able to buy me against my will.
Agreed, but the whole point is to eliminate your competitors. Hard to do that without stock purchases. (Making competitors lose money is very, very hard to do.)

moshelinho

Post by moshelinho » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:17 pm

well the point here is that in real life if someone wants to buy another company out then, approval is to be taken from the share holders and a vote is taken for that, now if one particular shareholder has more than 50% of the stock and if he votes against, then the takeover is cancelled.....and vice versa...................

that thing is missing, for this game all u need is a lot of money to take over another player, as simple as that...............thats wat seems stupid...................railroad tycoon 2 and 3 had the realistic model where if u have the whole company in ur own name then no one can purchase it without ur permission...............and giving u all the money, with which u can also start a new company.

leo

Post by leo » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:19 pm

well this is just a game ... not real life and it is already established that this game is not even close to being as complicated as the previous games.

This game was designed to be easy to learn and quick game play for multi player.

Looks like the game will be fairly customizable soon.

boomer ang

Post by boomer ang » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:23 pm

I have to admit this is a great new idea... :idea:

In this way you can avoid extremelly tedious stall situations...... :!:

Boomer

OzoB

Post by OzoB » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:03 pm

This is a good ? if you ask me. I just lost for the first time to the cpu. I guess. I still went to be pres. whipdy doo, The thing is i Owned 90% of the AI stock an 100% of my own, AI's company was worth about 19 mill. And mine was about 210 mill. How in the hell did he buy me out.......

leo

Post by leo » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:29 pm

AI probably made a lot of money and bought you out. Doesnt matter how much stock you own, if the computer has enough to buy you out.

There is a screen that shows how much money the computer players have ... usually a good idea to keep an eye on it to see where everyone stands.

OzoB

Post by OzoB » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:33 pm

after pondering this I beleave time on the map ran out.
Because i have been working with E on skinning new locos and it was the test map that i was useing. So i realy wsnt trying to when.Just load test and reload bla bla bla

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:44 am

Right, someone can buy you no matter HOW much you own, true for AI and humans. No this is not true in the real world, all you need is 51%, but you're talking then about stock with voting rights....there's no votes in RR, just stock value that is always on the market ....

Now why is this logical in the game? As someone said, we need a winner, and if it wasn't the way it is, we could both sit there owning 6 shares taunting each other like a staring contest until someone got bored and that's no fun.

Also, keep in mind there are really 2 games going on here with 2 strategies 1/ Track building and 2/ Stock buying. Now I could be beating you on the stock side, owning 6 of mine and 6 of yours.....while you own zero....but you'd spent all your efforts on tracks and trains and now have 5 million dollars, enough to buy the remaining 4 shares I have as well as the 6 I have owned by me (treasury stock). The fact that you can always buy someone (IF you have the cash) creates the BALANCE between these 2 "games"....so you kind of walk some sort of line in the game here.

This is really interesting actually because some players are excellent at building a financial empire but do not understand the stock side of things and a weaker more stock-savvy player might beat them because ultimately stocks win the game. So keep this in mind as I think it could not be any other way in this game.
-Bob the Lunatic