"Finishing" Scenarios?

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
Bleser

"Finishing" Scenarios?

Post by Bleser » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:18 pm

So how exactly do you "finish" a scenario? Do you have to wait for time to run out (1970 on my current map, midwest USA)? I have met all the goals and finished off all of my competitors... so do I just turn the game to turbo mode and let 1970 roll around?

The only way I've finished a scenario so far is by being bought out. :oops:

Aedes Aegypti

Post by Aedes Aegypti » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:46 pm

yeah just run the clock down and try and milk the score, if you are finishing the scenarios very early its time to move up difficulty levels

The_Commodore

Post by The_Commodore » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:42 pm

I believe it doen't finish at the tiime you meet all the goals since it still computes your net worth and other variables which will indicate your level on the final splash screen (the listing that goes in the Hall of Fame). So "finishing" a scenario is only part of the score that gets finally listed. I've not finished a scenario and gotten a higher score than for scenarios I have finished.

Bleser

Post by Bleser » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:15 pm

The_Commodore wrote:I believe it doen't finish at the tiime you meet all the goals since it still computes your net worth and other variables which will indicate your level on the final splash screen (the listing that goes in the Hall of Fame). So "finishing" a scenario is only part of the score that gets finally listed. I've not finished a scenario and gotten a higher score than for scenarios I have finished.
That's a really interesting point you just made... so I don't have to franticley build silly lines just to meet one of the goals in time in order to place well in the hall of fame? I guess you only have to meet all the objectives of the scenario for to be marked as "complete" in the scenario listing.

rapheous

Post by rapheous » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:34 pm

First post! :D

Personally, once I've run out of objectives to complete, I've either done them, or failed them, then I retire.

Taken from the readme file that comes with the game, your score is based on:
Net Worth Score
Calculated from your net worth and the time period. A $7 million dollar net worth will earn you more points in 1865 than 1965.

Objective Score
You recieve 2 points per objective completed, two for completing all the objectives in an era and five for completing all the objectives in all the eras.

Prestige Score
Any time your company gains some fame, you earn prestige points. Every speed record shattered, patent purchased, industry owned, business bought-out and special delivery sent earns more prestige points.
Therefore, failing a objective shouldn't be viewed as the end of the world. :)

Bleser

Post by Bleser » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:43 pm

rapheous wrote:First post! :D

Personally, once I've run out of objectives to complete, I've either done them, or failed them, then I retire.

Taken from the readme file that comes with the game, your score is based on:
Net Worth Score
Calculated from your net worth and the time period. A $7 million dollar net worth will earn you more points in 1865 than 1965.

Objective Score
You recieve 2 points per objective completed, two for completing all the objectives in an era and five for completing all the objectives in all the eras.

Prestige Score
Any time your company gains some fame, you earn prestige points. Every speed record shattered, patent purchased, industry owned, business bought-out and special delivery sent earns more prestige points.
Therefore, failing a objective shouldn't be viewed as the end of the world. :)
Excellent information... thanks for posting it. :)

CaptainPatch

Re: "Finishing" Scenarios?

Post by CaptainPatch » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:49 pm

Bleser wrote:So how exactly do you "finish" a scenario? Do you have to wait for time to run out (1970 on my current map, midwest USA)? I have met all the goals and finished off all of my competitors... so do I just turn the game to turbo mode and let 1970 roll around?

The only way I've finished a scenario so far is by being bought out. :oops:
Keep in mind that owning industries is worth more than having cash; the industry can continue to make you money while the cash is worth its face value.

Try to connect to all remaining resources and set up industries to use those resources. These will accelerate your Net Worth at the end.

TheGlobalizer

Post by TheGlobalizer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:25 pm

The points you get for completing objectives are crap, IMHO. When you're scoring 200+ for net worth, the rinky-disk scenario points are annoyingly worthless.

Wish they were worth more, though there's always the moral victory.

kipper

Post by kipper » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:27 am

When the competitors are gone and the last objectives are either finished or failed, I generally retire.

And if i'm not president I just go 'keep playing' and make a few more million and retire again :P

Score is kinda irrelevant if you've done all you can do with the map, in terms of beating the opponents and doing what was set out. Of course a truly epic game would spring new opponents etc on you, but this doenst.. so.. :|