"smart trains"

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
syntax error

"smart trains"

Post by syntax error » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:38 am

I found that after you buy a AI player the trains keep their intelligence as long as you dont mess with their cargo or route.

this means that if the computer has 1 route bring coal to a factory and 1 route between that city and another carrieing whatever it might pay to buy a car factory in the second city ..
you will notice the train picking up the steal and transporting back the automobiles .. when theres no load it just pick up pass or mail.

you can upgrade the engine without them losing their intelligence, in fact when you give the former AI train a better enginge it will automaticly start driving longer trains.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:46 am

Thats an interesting find there.

Bleser

Post by Bleser » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:37 pm

Wow, I wonder if this is a bug or intended functionality?

It's a great find. Usually I liquidate the companies I take over simply because I don't want to manage them. But if they continue to manage themselves, then I'll have to re-evaluate my decisions.

syntax error

bought ai are big advantage

Post by syntax error » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:32 pm

i usually dont eliminate ai players that connected to "my" major cities, i might delete some of its freaky tracks but why do you not want an extra station in a metropole ?

in stead of 6 track (3 each way from a station) you now have 12 tracks runnin to/from your city !!

so i designate 1 station for importing raw materials and another to take away the goods to the closest city (dont haul goods over a long end, just buy an industry that needs it nearby)

another nice cheat/bug/smart play comes available when using 2 stations in 1 town .... just connect the 2 stations with 1 designated track (you still have 4 free tracks to make 8 connections) and pendle goods to itself ...... a city producing and wanting guns/medicine/autos .... well filll it in .. that a 2 mil a year train.

Krupo

Post by Krupo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:23 pm

This is what I don't like about web forums (compared to old-school newsgroups) - hard to cross-post, and disucssions are fragmented.

Cross-posting this tip to Civ Fanatics. :)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=203241

This also upsets me a bit: the developers could've clearly added an "auto-consist" feature to the game, to satisfy all the people who kvetch about the cargo-micromanagement, and yet they didn't. Why not?

<sigh>