stock buyout strategies

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
rsuttles58

stock buyout strategies

Post by rsuttles58 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:00 pm

Does anyone have a good strategy that they use for buying out a competitors stock? Do you try to save up enough to do it all at one time or do you buy it slowly but surely or what?

Another question, how do you buy someone out if they own a piece of their own stock?

leo

Post by leo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:13 pm

You can always be bought out no matter how much of your own stock you own. The other players only have to pay double the current stock value.

So you own all 10 stocks of your own company and a guy comes along to buy it .... share price is 1 million , all 10 shares =10 million ... he has to pay 20 million to buy you out.

Better off trying to get some stock in the early going since the price per share goes up with every purchase of stock plus stock prices are raised by other things as well ... I know it goes up compared to how much your company makes in profits ... and I think net worth and other assets play a role in determaning stock price as well.

Also if you own someones stock and a 3rd player buys that guy out .. you will get double the value of the stock you owned.

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:42 pm

Depends a lot on the map you're playing.

Normally I try not to ever sell stocks but on some maps your starting money doesn't get you your first track and choo-choo so you have to sell.

As soon as I have more money than I can spend fast enough, I start buying my own stock, then theirs - biggest money earner first. When all is sold, I buy the cheapest company that is making a profit and take it from there.

rsuttles58

Post by rsuttles58 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:44 pm

How exactly does one go about BLOCKING a buyout? If you can still buy someone's stock if they own part then if someone has the money there isn't much you can do is there?

leo

Post by leo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:46 pm

you cant block a buy out .. all you can do is buy them out first or expand faster than they can get income ...

I think buyout first is the better option.( with my limited experiance in online multiplayer)

It can become complicated ... I think .. so best way to learn is to play. Steal other people strategies :)

rsuttles58

Post by rsuttles58 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:49 pm

I don't have much experience but I'm guessing it would probably be better to try to sneak attack buyout not just buy it 2 here and 3 there. Yea, I'm thinking I'm going to go pick this game up soon.

Oddible

Post by Oddible » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:48 pm

I don't know about waiting for a 'sneak attack.' Stocks seem so critical to a successful enterprise that if you wait too long to buy them they are going to be astronomically priced.

BUY EARLY! The value of stocks of successful competitor in your portfolio cannot be underestimated. It is a HUGE bonus to your net worth. I'm a total newb but it seems to me that it is near impossible to completely buy out a highly successful competitor so you are stuck trying to buy out the lowbies. If you don't snatch up the stocks when the price is low, your competitors will - buying them off your competitors gets pricey.

zzbusch

Post by zzbusch » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:34 pm

I've been noticing the AI are buying stock, and then selling it immediately. They buy stock at $150,000, then sell it at $145,000 or less. Aren't they losing money on the deal? What kind of stock buying strategy is this? I'd be broke in a month if I did this.
Has anyone else seen this?
Remember railroads is sdaorliar spelled backward

rsuttles58

Post by rsuttles58 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:39 pm

Generally, if you buy stock and then sell it in this game you make money.

I was playing a game on the Britain map and I had 90% of this guy's stock bought and he came out of NOWHERE and bought me out. It was quite awesome to have a competitive moment on this game. Well, he didn't completely buy me out..bought 90%. I had the other 10% that was going to be around 1.5 mil.

The_Commodore

Post by The_Commodore » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:03 pm

At the other end of the scale, I was in a multiplayer Island Hopping map on Robber Baron and since there is no bankruptcy (even with negative net worth) the game goes on forever. You can't declare bankruptcy as in rrt3 and I am surprised that as its a Sid Meiers game there aren't 'diplomacy' options between players.
I was wondering if it is possible to 'mod' some of these things into the game?

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:10 pm

@rsutt: What's one of the most fun things that can happen then, is buy his last 10% too. You will own his company AND all your own stocks as well. :)

CaptainPatch

Post by CaptainPatch » Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:46 pm

zzbusch wrote:I've been noticing the AI are buying stock, and then selling it immediately. They buy stock at $150,000, then sell it at $145,000 or less. Aren't they losing money on the deal? What kind of stock buying strategy is this? I'd be broke in a month if I did this.
Usually, it doesn't take too long before acquired stock is worth more than what was paid for it. But if an event occurs where an AI competitor needs quick cash (train upgrades, track expansions to towns that just posted a bonus, patent auction, etc.) the AI will sell off stock even if it means a loss.

[I think that unlike the player, the AI competitors are not allowed to go into the hole making new trains or upgrading existing ones.]

zzbusch

Post by zzbusch » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:46 pm

CaptainPatch wrote:
zzbusch wrote:I've been noticing the AI are buying stock, and then selling it immediately. They buy stock at $150,000, then sell it at $145,000 or less. Aren't they losing money on the deal? What kind of stock buying strategy is this? I'd be broke in a month if I did this.
Usually, it doesn't take too long before acquired stock is worth more than what was paid for it. But if an event occurs where an AI competitor needs quick cash (train upgrades, track expansions to towns that just posted a bonus, patent auction, etc.) the AI will sell off stock even if it means a loss.

[I think that unlike the player, the AI competitors are not allowed to go into the hole making new trains or upgrading existing ones.]
The AI is selling and immediately buying. It's not selling and then buying track, or upgrades, or anything. It's just selling and buying stock.
Remember railroads is sdaorliar spelled backward

ux-3

Post by ux-3 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:25 am

Iv'e done that for takeovers. To finally take over a competitor, I sold a share of mine, dissolved his rails for cash and bought my share back.

dusan97

Re: stock buyout strategies

Post by dusan97 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:32 pm

rsuttles58 wrote:Does anyone have a good strategy that they use for buying out a competitors stock? Do you try to save up enough to do it all at one time or do you buy it slowly but surely or what?

Another question, how do you buy someone out if they own a piece of their own stock?
Only what are You say?Make trucks and Depot nad train only this is defense,that wont buy Your company.Ten Years work and You see.You have a lot of money.The first year you make depot in a big city.Passengers is business,but after ten years you produce goods,car.Car is a lot of money,but You must found citymwho except.And this is a story.You must work city.The huge map of Germany is beatiful maps,but If You finished in two days,yuo are a president.Competitors is not brayt-its stupied.Work track NO GRADE,loco is fast.And the first day you upgraded depot.This is very important.
Happy New Year 2007 From Slovenia EX Yugoslavia,not Slovakia
This is Game of the century.Om tired of the game.
Game never finished