Builder/watcher or Robber Baron?

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?

What style player are you?

Model Railroad builder
43%
Robber Baron
19%
A bit of both really
36%
What is Sid Meier's Railroads?
2%

Total votes: 53

KingWilly

Builder/watcher or Robber Baron?

Post by KingWilly » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:22 am

What type of player are you?

Are you the sort of player who likes to play Railroads as if it were a model railway simulator where you can just build tracks and watch your trains more around the track....

Or are you a ruthless Robber Baron, who does anything they can to make life tough for your competitors?

Let us know your style.

Westley Roberts

Post by Westley Roberts » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:17 pm

So far, I've only played a few Scenarios, all without competition..

I'm having a bit of trouble making the tracks work right, with switching and all. Last night I had to make 3 lanes of traffic go through Indianapolis. :lol:

Also, the maps seem a little small for more than one Baron at a time...

ICanSeeUrNutz

Post by ICanSeeUrNutz » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:22 pm

I have just played once. It takes some time to get used to. It is very similar to Tycoon. I too am trying to work through the multi track issue. This seemed easier to get around in the Tycoon version.

I do enjoy purchasing industries in our cities. I look forward to playing online soon with some co-workers.

Enjoy and keep your nutz covered!

HelterSkelter

Post by HelterSkelter » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:15 pm

I always play with other barons and I try to take them out. I also like to play online, that is where the game shines IMHO.

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:41 pm

Haven't tried it online yet, but surely will sometime soon.

@IcanSee: The multi track stuff does seem to be a little complicated, as well as rather messy. If you are like me and played Transport Tycoon to death, you're probably trying to read more into its workings than there is. See 'm ass crossovers, nothing more. In that mindset, it makes a little more sense.

Olufstar

Post by Olufstar » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:49 am

With all the waiting that occurs when you have multiple trains going back and forth I have started building triple, even quadrouple lines between cities. Everyone leading to the other with crossovers.
This system works great and waiting is immensly reduced.

Wolfwood
Site Admin

Post by Wolfwood » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:05 pm

Olufstar wrote:With all the waiting that occurs when you have multiple trains going back and forth I have started building triple, even quadrouple lines between cities. Everyone leading to the other with crossovers.
Yup, I started doing the same, getting fed up with all the waiting in my very first game.
“People aren’t wearing enough hats.” - Monty Python

sherc

Post by sherc » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:42 pm

but you can only build 3 lines going through city :( unlike what trailer shows :) when the guy looks through window, and there's is like 6 lines if not more :)

crossmr

Post by crossmr » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:49 pm

I've had 4 in a city.

Falconer
Site Admin

Post by Falconer » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:18 am

Was the 4th connected to your station there and was it possible to run a train through it and load/unload? I've tried many times but I have yet to see it working...

Wolfwood
Site Admin

Post by Wolfwood » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:55 am

Yup, at least in the demo you can add more than 3 rails, but the rest never get used, only the first 3.
“People aren’t wearing enough hats.” - Monty Python

McSchaff

Post by McSchaff » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:40 am

For me the RRT games including the new SMR, where always something to play against other railroad barons. I can't imagine to play it just as a kind of model railroad simulation. Aren't there better games out there for something like that?

Greets
McSchaff

ledhed

Post by ledhed » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:00 pm

RR Tycoon is a real RR simulation in every way. Sids RR is RR tycoon " lite " version. :shock:

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:43 am

You can have 12 or 16 or 32 or 64 into a city, although I cannot imagine needing for than 12 for obvious reasons...

You shouldn't be doing "crossovers" that's not a good thing and this is why:
You'll be limited to medium or less routing.

On hard routing, 2 trains come face to face and you got a costly problem. for starters, 2 trains costing you $ are sitting doing nothing, 2nd you're going to have to resolve it and usually scrap one of the trains and some track and meanwhile your opponent is building value producing tracks....

ONE train per track people. Keep this simple, use the double track, with terminal you can now have 4 tracks into a terminal. (3 into station or depot). Now if you want to add more fine, just add a new single line from one of tracks at the station going SAME way. Never have 2 trains coming into same track and station from diff directions (again theyll come face to face and lead to waiting and thus waste.

Anyway, just run 4 for a while, but all on SEPARATE tracks and you'll see you have no problems and A LOT more $. Then you can try to advance into more trains into a station. Good luck.

-Bob the Lunatic

P.S. DOUBLETRACK, always

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:47 am

Olufstar wrote:With all the waiting that occurs when you have multiple trains going back and forth I have started building triple, even quadrouple lines between cities. Everyone leading to the other with crossovers.
Again, this is all wrong. My waiting is generally ZERO because all my trains are dedicated to ONE track each....seriously, try this, this is how to do it. You don't need to share tracks until you have more than 4 trains going into a station and when you do, you still don't have crossovers, just a tiny piece at station that they share....see? and once you get to that level.....youll start understanding why you add priority to one train or the other to determine WHICH one waits a little. and i do mean little. Even if I have 12 trains going into a station, i guarantee none of them wait more than 10-15% of the time. but at 4 trains your waiting should be zero. and with 12 trains, it would still never cross my mind to do a crossover, that's just bad business :)

-Bob the Lunatic