Bigger station or multiple station in same city ?

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
vjuluss

Bigger station or multiple station in same city ?

Post by vjuluss » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:04 am

Hi !

I noticed two points in the game :
1. Is really better if you have one train for each track
2. You can have only 4 tracks in a city.

Is there a way (may be a mod) to get more than 4 tracks in a city ? Or maybe have 2 or more stations ?

For example, let's say I want to make a map where I have a big city in the middle that produce nothing, but needs everything. It means I need more than 4 trains to go in the city. I also means, I will have trains coming from North, South, East and West. So can I have 4 stations, or a really big station ?

It could be a mod or something like that :)

Thanks !
Excuse me for my english, I am French !

TMILLER

Re: Bigger station or multiple station in same city ?

Post by TMILLER » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 am

Hi Vjuluss. Four tracks per station is an SMR game limitation. You can not build more than 1 station per city, however you can build a station in a city already occupied by a station owned by an AI player and then buy out the AI. You will now have 2 stations in that city. For example, you could make a map with 4 cities (instead of 1 as you mentioned) located near the middle of the map and make them the only Starting Cities in your map. Play the game with 3 AIs and it will start with you and the 3 AIs all located in the 4 cities. Then you will need to build out from your start city to one of the other 3, build your own station, then buy out this competitor. Of course, it will take some time to accomplish this and you will need to make enough money to buy out the competition, but it will result with one of the cities having 2 stations. Alternatively, you could have only 2 cities, both Start Cities, and play with only 2 AIs and accomplish the same thing. I generally design my maps to be played with AIs that have to be bought out. Think of it as part of the overall goals that must be accomplished in your game. - Good Luck with your game plan. - TMiller

vjuluss

Post by vjuluss » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:08 pm

Thank you TMiller :)

I was thinking at this solution, and you write a complete way of how to do it. I will try this tonight, maybe it will increase the difficulty to play with AI.

Maybe there is an other solution. I have two computers at home. You know what I'm thinking don't you ? I will start a new local game, set my companies on my first computer, and an other companies in the second computer. With this, I guess I will be able to have 2 stations for each city. To finish the process, I will buy the second companies and it's done.

This isn't cheating, is it ? :P
Excuse me for my english, I am French !

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:41 pm

There are two answers here. But they each answer a more specific question: Are you trying to just have fun, and have 2 stations (or 8 tracks) for fun? Or are you trying to maximize profit?

If you are trying to maximize profit, you wouldn't want more than 3 or 4 tracks in a station-as you'd be competing with yourself with the 2nd station.

If you look through the forums, I show how you can indeed route DOZENS of trains into one station, with minimal waiting. Ideally you want 2 or 3 outbound trains (ie moving passengers and finished/intermediate goods to and from the station). And as many inbound (raw materials) trains as you need to reach efficiency in your station. THESE are the trains that should share tracks. So for example, you'd have say 3 tracks going from Station A to Station B. Track 4 (upon upgrading the depot to station) would be used to bring in the cheap stuff-raw materials. These are lower profit trains, and thus why you should have them share, not the high profit trains.

Passenger/mail/finished/intermediate goods trains can bring as much as $2,000,000 per year. A raw materials train will struggle to create $100,000 per year. Thus why only the latter should do any waiting.

So, that said-the only remaining question is, how do trains that share tracks avoid stalling (coming face to face)? Don't allow them that option is the answer. All trains on a shared track should enter the station from the same direction, meaning engines could never come face to face. This means such a track is shaped like a "Y" or with more arms instead of 2 if you require such.

Usually however, you wish to utilize whatever city is CLOSEST to a raw resource. If you don't, a smart competitor will-making your train with a longer route go negative. This game is about city building. I'll take the village that is closer to the resource any day over the metro further away. I'll have the metro soon enough and perhaps shrink the previous metro to a city and then town if given the time with my more efficient system (shorter lines).

And answer 2 is: First, you can have 2 of your own stations in the same town-WITHOUT BUYING OUT A COMPETITOR, but only via one of the cheats (station moving). That is, you can move a station from another town into the town you want to have 2 stations. Due to the cheat, this will create a ridiculous amount of profit due to the passenger algorithm, moreso depending on how far the station was moved. Don't do that in a multiplayer game please. A good player can trump that cheat with an even nastier one (trains that make $15-$20 Million/year).

So, the legal answer to version 2 (just for fun) is yes, to buy out the competitor who has a station in the same city. That said, clearly you could own 4 stations in one city right? But that's dumb, as again, you can route even 16 trains into ONE station, and you'll make way more $ than routing 16 trains into 4 stations, trust me.

Play for blood.
-Bob the Lunatic

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:58 am

edited by me
Last edited by snoopy55 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:01 am

snoopy55 wrote:
darthdroid wrote: Don't do that in a multiplayer game please.
That said, clearly you could own 4 stations in one city right? But that's dumb, as again, you can route even 16 trains into ONE station, and you'll make way more $ than routing 16 trains into 4 stations, trust me.
First, that cannot be done in a multiplayer game as there is no server to play a multiplayer on!

And no, owning all 4 stations in one city is NOT dumb!! THINK!!! Once you own all 4 stations in ANY city, YOU'VE WON THE GAME!!!
Why are you always screaming? Only an empty point needs volume to compensate. :o
-Bob the Lunatic

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:08 am

edited by me
Last edited by snoopy55 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:57 am

snoopy55 wrote:

That is not screaming.... That is making a point, the point being that it is best to buy all three competitors than try to attempt to get 16 trains running thru one station. And, once you buyout the other three, you have won..... tell me, why do you call that dumb?
We both know you lack the credentials to enter that debate, so I'll help you not embarrass yourself lol.

However, we all know what you did, and tend to do.. is indeed screaming. Denial only adds additional poor character traits to the already noted "childish screaming for lack of valid points" trait.
-Bob the Lunatic

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:19 am

edited by me
Last edited by snoopy55 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:29 am

First, I just admitted being wrong -about the spammer. I never had a problem admitting I was wrong, that was, and clearly still is.... You. This also reveals who is actually humble and who is not.

And no, the subject was TWO stations, so your point is moot. Again, you need to have at least need a kindergarten level of knowledge on strategy to be entertained snoopy, we all know you are among the masters of modding but clueless on how to play for profits or winning. Like I said, know your limits, you'll live happier.
-Bob the Lunatic

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:10 am

edited by me.

And for the record, I have never played online, never claimed to, and never will, period.
Last edited by snoopy55 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:26 pm

snoopy55 wrote:First, stay on subject in this thread. An admittance on another one has nothing to do with this one.
snoopy55 wrote:
darthdroid wrote: Don't do that in a multiplayer game please.
That said, clearly you could own 4 stations in one city right? But that's dumb, as again, you can route even 16 trains into ONE station, and you'll make way more $ than routing 16 trains into 4 stations, trust me.
First, that cannot be done in a multiplayer game as there is no server to play a multiplayer on!

And no, owning all 4 stations in one city is NOT dumb!! THINK!!! Once you own all 4 stations in ANY city, YOU'VE WON THE GAME!!!
The quote I made has you referring to 4 stations, which I highlighted in case you missed your own words.

And the Strategy of this game is simple, "Beat the other guys to the ground any way you can!!" I gave up playing this game because it became to simple to win for me. You just seem to think you have to play against and beat everyone out there. And when you did loose, you gave lame excuses like "We were discussing strategy and I thought we were done playing the game." Myself, I would have played till one of us lost, and then had a discussion on the strategy. But hey, that's my strategy, and I don't know about strategy.

BTW, how many times did you have people asking you, by name, for info on strategy? I seem to recall many people leaving the Strategy section because of you.
lol, you wouldn't last 5 minutes with any online noob. You'd be too easy, all one would have to do is voip some trash talk to you and you'd never leave your station lol.

You have no clue how to play the game snoopy. You know how to build parts for the game, quite another thing. Know your limitations.

The strategy section speaks for itself. The expert online players know where most of the advanced tactics came from. The truth is untouchable, no matter what is said. And since you were never online snoopy-you'd hardly be in a position to judge anything about it-yet you do. That says a lot about what kind of person you are. You have no ability to discriminate between what you know and what you don't know and I see you are getting worse, not better.
-Bob the Lunatic