Trains won't cross each other on single line.

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
strain

Trains won't cross each other on single line.

Post by strain » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi, this is my first post. Sorry if this topic raised already before.

I just bought this game for 4 days ago (I am hooked) but I notice at least once that the trains just sat there staring each other. Whem I still had some stock I sold it one just enough to build short double line for them to keep them moving. They did but as far as the next encounter and they stopped again! Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks

karsten

Re: Trains won't cross each other on single line.

Post by karsten » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:48 pm

This is due to hard routing - ie, realistically, trains don't simply glide through each other, as in real life.
I always have hard routing on. But you can change that setting for the scenario to simple routing, so that trains do, indeed, pass through each other like ghosts, after a little pause. 8)

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:49 pm

strain wrote:Hi, this is my first post. Sorry if this topic raised already before.

I just bought this game for 4 days ago (I am hooked) but I notice at least once that the trains just sat there staring each other. Whem I still had some stock I sold it one just enough to build short double line for them to keep them moving. They did but as far as the next encounter and they stopped again! Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks
There are 2 schools of thought here:

Train Table: If you want it to look realistic, prepare to make a lot of crossovers to avoid gridlock and hopefully it works out (it won't....).

Efficient Game Play
: You don't want trains sharing track on hard routing as the game is a moron and will go out of its way to create gridlock. One train per track.
-Bob the Lunatic

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:28 pm

......and please read the FAQ on strategy. Your answer will be on the top. :)
http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =34&t=3803
Jancsika

strain

Post by strain » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Jancsika wrote:......and please read the FAQ on strategy. Your answer will be on the top. :)
http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =34&t=3803
Jancsika
Thanks for providing it, I am reading it. Later on I may bring some topic from it as I go along.
darthdroid wrote:There are 2 schools of thought here:

Train Table: If you want it to look realistic, prepare to make a lot of crossovers to avoid gridlock and hopefully it works out (it won't....).

Is there maintenance cost for tracks lay out like engines maintenance?

Efficient Game Play
: You don't want trains sharing track on hard routing as the game is a moron and will go out of its way to create gridlock. One train per track.[/quote]

I suspect that was the case, it must be a bug in the program that cause it. By right the game's algorithm should instantly calculate the appearance of an extra engine in the field and adjust their individual movements accordingly. But for some reasons they just keep on moving to chock the traffic. But the good thing is, it made me lough also when that happened beside the sheer frustration.

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:04 pm

strain wrote: Is there maintenance cost for tracks lay out like engines maintenance?
There is no such maintenance cost for track as far as depreciation goes like engines have, no, I don't believe so. But do keep in mind that track is expensive and the more track you have, the more time it takes trains to make money, so in that regard, track does have a cost beyond the initial expenditure.

A good measure of efficiency is on the financials screen, check how much track you have per train (divide # of trains, by miles of track). If you are VERY efficient, it will be about 50 miles of track per train. If you are very inefficient, it will be over 100 miles of track per train.
-Bob the Lunatic