To Autosave, or Not?

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
CalmDragon

To Autosave, or Not?

Post by CalmDragon » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:59 am

I am a fan of autosaves. Just not every single minute of the game. Instead of disabling, I edit the settings.ini file so that it saves every nine minutes like so:
  • AutosaveEnabled = 1
    AutosaveInterval (in minutes) = 9
    MaxAutosaves = 5
I haven't had to increase the MaxAutosaves from the default of five, for I rarely need to go farther back than a half an hour of play time to figure something out.
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200

mikeyc

Re: To Autosave, or Not?

Post by mikeyc » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:13 am

Good, Calm Dragon. I wanted to know how to space the interval between saves but never got around to asking, and now its here.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:51 am

CalmDragon wrote:I am a fan of autosaves.
I'm not, I almost never save games when I play this game, because if map have not ctd the map should be can play until finish... :lol:
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:45 am

I use the auto save. Test and build all my maps with it on too. I have it creating three saves, one every fifteen minutes. Many of my maps are built to where it may take a couple days to finish playing them...as several hours are needed. None crash anymore, but I still leave it on...works fine.

Plus it is a good test for a map, if a map crashes during a regular or auto save, that is a signal there is something wrong/broken inside the scenario file. I had a map that wouldn't let me back into a saved game file...later found I had something wrong inside of a Nif file for one of my game models. If the game won't save your map project...there is a reason it doesn't like something in your files...and won't save damaged or wrong files...even nif files in game models. So it is best to leave it on when editing maps, as things can get way deep during map creation and testing...anything that warns of trouble early on is a blessing.

pherschel

Post by pherschel » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:16 pm

Auto save helped me out.

I setup a new route one time and set a train to haul goods. The game would crash. I reloaded and I did the same thing and it crashed again. I then reloaded again and I setup the route and I waited 10 seconds before assigning a loco. It worked! I think it was a divide by zero error at the source station.

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:08 pm

Autosave is my friend. When the game crashes to desktop, it is the autosave game that prevents me from having to start all over again.

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:44 pm

Lowell wrote: if a map crashes during a regular or auto save, that is a signal there is something wrong/broken inside the scenario file.
Amen. :D